SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Brass Henry rifles: do they need to be babied?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brass Henry rifles: do they need to be babied? Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

I'm in the market for a 45/70 lever gun for grizzly protection in Alaska. My first choice is out of stock: a Ruger/Marlin with the big loop.
There is a very pretty brass receiver Henry available.
My question is this: can I shoot full power loads out of this Henry, drag it through the woods for days, and get it wet without ruining it? I don't mind "character" on my guns but flaking and pitting should not happen.

https://www.sportsmans.com/sho...government/p/1638593

Thoughts?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
My personal woods bumming gun when I lived in Alaska was a Marlin .45-70 which could definitely handle the powerful loads.

If it were me, I'd contact Henry directly and ask them if it can handle the pressure.

The cosmetic damage, not so much.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
"The cosmetic damage, not so much".

I'm not sure what this means? I could be read it a few different ways.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
"The cosmetic damage, not so much".

I'm not sure what this means? I could be read it a few different ways.

Bruce

What I mean is that Henry's opinion of cosmetic damage is pretty meaningless IMO. OTOH, their opinion of the rifle's ability to handle modern pressures of +P and such is invaluable.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have a vague recollection of reading somewhere that these rifles' receivers are not made of true brass, but steel with a brass-like finish or coating, IOW, made to look like brass. I can't believe true brass would hold up even with black-powder-pressure .45-70, let alone any hot loads. I think you'd best check with Henry.

Posts: 27805 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
From what I have read, it's 70%CU / 30%ZN alloy.

A much harder version of brass.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34072 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are leaning toward the Marlin, I would stick with it. Fantastic firearm. I have the 1895 SBL and love it.

If you want a 1895 Guide Gun check here https://www.guns.com/firearms/...987&utm_medium=df_NA

but if you want something shorter with a SS receiver for better resistance to wet weather check here
https://www.smga.com/marlin/18...big-loop-blk-ss-2067

Both are in stock and the price isn't too bad for a product in such hot demand.

If you are looking for the 1895 SBL check here
https://www.smga.com/marlin/18...70-ss-5-1-18-lam-104
Their price is a bit high, but it's a big demand rifle.

Posts: 104 | Registered: November 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I would like the Marlin. Trapper preferred but either would be fine. I'm hoping I can be patient and order one from Sportsman's so I can pay retail. I won't really need one for 6 months. We got a couple of feet of snow in the last 2 days Smile

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

posted Hide Post
I have a Marlin 1895 Limited IV and love it. It has a 24' full octagon barrel and a Lyman #2 Tang sight.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Henry has steel 45/70 models if you are concerned about their brass.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I always thought that was just a pretty finish. The receiver is actually made from brass?

Posts: 10822 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
https://www.henryusa.com/rifle...er-action-side-gate/

I would get the all weather.. more durable and lighter and a side port for faster reloads when a grizzly is charging lol Big Grin

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
https://www.henryusa.com/rifle...er-action-side-gate/

I would get the all weather.. more durable and lighter and a side port for faster reloads when a grizzly is charging lol Big Grin

I would like to but I may have to go with what's available.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
The only gun I have not enjoyed shooting. And have shot more than most. Was a 45-70 I had. I absolutely hated it.
There are tons of great big bear gun calibers I would get or use one you already have. A 45-70 is not necessary in AK, Africa or any other place on earth imho. Ymmv

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19093 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
The only gun I have not enjoyed shooting. And have shot more than most. Was a 45-70 I had. I absolutely hated it.
There are tons of great big bear gun calibers I would get or use one you already have. A 45-70 is not necessary in AK, Africa or any other place on earth imho. Ymmv

You must've been shooting "wild" loads. A buddy of mine let me shoot his with nuclear loads some years back and I mostly felt the same way. It actually hurt.

Then...I bought my own and started reloading for them. Enjoyed it so much I bought another one.

It's probably the easiest round to reload for and you can make them as strong as you like. There's just nothing like sending a 500 grain hunk of lead out there to whack something...hard.

Posts: 19974 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know the modern guns can take more but I like to run the 405 grn buffalo load out of mine. Its quite pleasant to shoot and accurate.

Posts: 3040 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have a Henry 18.6” barreled, steel 45-70. In my research it can handle any loads the Marlin can handle.

The strength of 45-70 loads can vary a lot, even reloading they often list 3 category levels in reloading manuals.

We have a trapdoor from the 1890’s, requires light loads. The Ruger #1 can handle loads that become unshootable for many.

I paid $850 or so for my new Henry, H1010, or 4110, something like that. An older Marlin will be a fair bit over $1k, unknown history.

One of the top powders for the 45-70 is IMR-4198. The quality of Henry is good, some contention over the tube or side gate loading.

I think a compact Henry, with heavier cast bullet loads would feel right at home in AK.

Posts: 6128 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies.
A Chiappa has entered the conversation as Three Bears has one, in stock. It's the takedown model. Super cool! But $1800.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I would take steel over brass frame for a black powder revolver, I sure wouldn’t choose it for grizzly protection.

Posts: 9942 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Henry bills their "hardened brass" as the same tensile strength as steel.
Both brass and steel are available for order (15-20 day lead time).
I think I will go for the Henry in blued steel as it is less expensive and an 18" barrel instead of 22".
I could wait around for a 16" Marlin Trapper but it's more expensive, more muzzle blast, and unavailable until god knows when.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli