SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    FN fixed the recip charging handle on the SCAR? - (update on retro kit, page 2)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FN fixed the recip charging handle on the SCAR? - (update on retro kit, page 2) Login/Join 
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted
I remember seeing they had done that on the little PDW SCAR at Shot however many years ago. Never seen it since. Of course my thought was when will this be available for my SCAR.

Here it is on the 16, unsure if it's the same as on the PDW version. Looks like this one is on both sides which I don't recall.

Anybody seen one in the wild? Checked FN site and not seeing it. And no mention if this will be an aftermarket upgrade option, and/or for the 17.

ETA: Looks like I missed this in Sept. Answers some questions. Where do I buy one and how much?

https://www.guns.com/news/2021...ing-charging-handles

Another look at the kit
https://www.recoilweb.com/fn-u...-handles-170344.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Slippery Pete,

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
https://fnamerica.com/rifles/

Anything that says NRCH.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3181 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
This is the main reason I sold my SCAR and bought a CZ Bren 2.

I will be swift in my attack. My venom is packed with enough pride and gun powder to take down
any adversary that attempts to tread on my freedom. You've been warned, but if you
still want to test me, take a step forward.

Posts: 2033 | Location: ON THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
quote:

Anything that says NRCH.

Saw that on the site. Wondering if us poor prior customers can get an upgrade kit or something like that. Saw in one of those articles too that you'll need a new Carrier. That won't be a cheap upgrade but a spare wouldn't be bad. The RCH never bothered me that much anyway.

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never seen any plan for an upgrade kit.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Never seen any plan for an upgrade kit.

I’m sure it’s a matter of time. There’s no way they release this and don’t piss of a ton of legacy customers by not releasing an upgrade kit.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
Probably depends on how much they had to re-work the innards. There's the possibility that it's not mechanically up-gradable.

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Not being hands-on familiar with the rifle, I’d hope it’s as simple as a bolt swap.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I am not going to watch the whole thing again to be positive, but I’m pretty sure that Colion Noir says an upgrade kit or something similar is “planned” for older rifles.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
The article I linked above has pics of it. But it's just a new carrier and then the new charging handle.

Hasn't been made available yet from everywhere I've looked.

You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Just looked in a Tactical Life magazine and there was an article showing more details. Saying retro kits will be available and a little more than just a simple carrier swap.

Also saying it reduces the carrier weight about 15% on the 17s, and helps with recoil a little.

From the looks of the kit, I'm hoping it comes in under 500. Knowing FN, that should put it right about 1K.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slippery Pete:
Also saying it reduces the carrier weight about 15% on the 17s, and helps with recoil a little.
In that case, perhaps the rifle might start to lose its reputation as a scope killer.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
That occurred to me as well. Maybe it will get back into good graces with Bartocci. Big Grin

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onpointgun:

^^^^^
I’ve been looking at the CZ Brent 2 for the following reason as well. It doesn’t hurt that the Bren is cheaper and CZ has better CS support.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
From the looks of the kit, I'm hoping it comes in under 500. Knowing FN, that should put it right about 1K.

If its only the charging handle and carrier those are currently just a bit over $600 so I doubt you will see $500. But I would assume the FN will price the new ones roughly the same, or at least I can't see a reason why they wouldn't. Anyway can add to the list of SCAR parts that are hard to get when/if they release it.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by Slippery Pete:
In that case, perhaps the rifle might start to lose its reputation as a scope killer.

This should help.
However, there is also a thought that excessive flex in the upper receiver contributes to the problem, especially for those who use 2-piece scope mounts.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
quote:
Originally posted by onpointgun:

^^^^^
I’ve been looking at the CZ Brent 2 for the following reason as well. It doesn’t hurt that the Bren is cheaper and CZ has better CS support.

The CZ Bren 2 has way better trigger out of the box.

I will be swift in my attack. My venom is packed with enough pride and gun powder to take down
any adversary that attempts to tread on my freedom. You've been warned, but if you
still want to test me, take a step forward.

Posts: 2033 | Location: ON THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My reciprocating handles don't bother me. It's a nice feature, but I'm not sure why this is such a big deal with the SCARs. There are a lot of M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, M14/M1As, Mini14s, AKs, Galils, SIGs, etc out there that seem to work well without having non reciprocating bolt handles.

Posts: 96 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: March 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cowbuyu:
My reciprocating handles don't bother me. It's a nice feature, but I'm not sure why this is such a big deal with the SCARs. There are a lot of M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, M14/M1As, Mini14s, AKs, Galils, SIGs, etc out there that seem to work well without having non reciprocating bolt handles.

+1

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Because those bolts are far enough back in the receiver that there's maybe a 1% chance of wacking yourself with it or getting caught in a barricade. If the SCAR was adopted by the whole US Military, we'd be getting complaints of SCAR thumb.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post