SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR15 iron sights mechanical zero
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR15 iron sights mechanical zero Login/Join 
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
Your POA would be high at 25; low at 100. Per the image from David W.

Ooops, you are, of course, correct. And that is what I meant to type. No excuses. I appreciate your responses, as well as the others, you have all probably forgotten more about long range shooting than I will ever know.

Posts: 12220 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hell, I am no expert. I figured it was a goof, but IndianaBoy didn't comment on it, so I figured I'd point it out. He's more of an actual expert; it just squeaked by him too.

Posts: 2394 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
Hell, I am no expert. I figured it was a goof, but IndianaBoy didn't comment on it, so I figured I'd point it out.

That was a good catch. I missed that detail.

Posts: 14132 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
What does everyone think of the 50/200 yard zero?

Picking a zero is a math game. You hear people debate 50/200, 100/300, 36/???? And so on constantly. I’m not hot nor cold about it. Look at the ballistics and figure how it best serves you. 50/200 allows the same chest point of aim effectively out to an average of 225 or so. Once you pick one, know and understand your holds. Very easy.

People seem to endlessly debate the virtues of various zeros and truthfully it doesn’t matter if you commit to knowing your zero and holds based on your rifle. The 50/200 is probably the most used by LE.

I think that's what most people get caught up with.
To me they are large target sights, as in A zone hits.
And most 5.56 trajectory zero's fall into the A zone out to 200 yards or so.

I am nowhere good enough to shoot bottle caps at various distances with iron sights so a 50 yard zero works for me, convenient and easy.
On mine they are just backup sights, I zeroed them but that's about it.
For me 100 yards with irons is a stretch as it is.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
The only iron sights that I know of can be mechanically zeroed before range time are the non removeable iron sights on the full sized AR-15\M-16 rifle. I have had good results with removeable carry handles, but even those are subject to how hard they're torqued down. Everything else is subject to tolerance stacking or other issues.

quote:
Originally posted by clubleaf206:
When installing iron sights on a AR15 is this something that is important to do? Or is it enough to install the sight(s) and then boresight it/them before going to the range?

Posts: 7082 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post