SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Bipod Folding Direction... Front or Back?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bipod Folding Direction... Front or Back? Login/Join 
Make America Great Again
Picture of bronicabill
posted
My bipod on my AR-15 folds forward so that it doesn't interfere with the forward grip or the tac-light switch. I see other rifles on gun-related web sites with the bipod folded backwards. I can see advantages and disadvantages to both, so I'm curious...

Question:
What direction do you fold your bipod, and why?

Choices:
Forward
Backward

Posts: 4810 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Forward, so when you push forward to stabilize the rifle and 'load' the bipod it won't fold on you.

Tony

Posts: 377 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tonydec:
Forward, so when you push forward to stabilize the rifle and 'load' the bipod it won't fold on you.

Yes.

6.4/93.6
“Cet animal est très méchant, quand on l’attaque il se défend.”

Posts: 47751 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You always load the bipod.

Posts: 388 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Although I said I always fold forward, depending upon the design and especially if the legs lock in position, folding back is possible while still having the capability to “load” the bipod. There would have to be room for the legs to clear the stock/forend/handguard in the folded position, but that’s not impossible. Folding the legs back may make for a more compact, less snag-prone configuration, but might also make it trickier to grab and fold the legs down quickly and easily.

The Harris bipods I’m familiar with must be folded forward to allow loading the bipod without collapsing because the legs don’t lock into position.

6.4/93.6
“Cet animal est très méchant, quand on l’attaque il se défend.”

Posts: 47751 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of the decision depends on the type of bipod. Harris (& similar) bipods fold in only one direction, and that direction must be forward. Proper technique for shooting with a bipod requires that the bipod be "loaded" with forward pressure on the gun. When one places forward pressure on a Harris-type bipod that is oriented to fold backwards, the bipod collapses.

Atlas bipods function differently, in that the bipod will not collapse with either forward or backward pressure, when the legs are positioned in any of the 5 detents. An Atlas-type bipod can be folded either to the front or the back, depending on the user's preference. I use Atlas bipods -- I fold them in either direction, based on the rifle itself and how I intend to deploy the bipod.

The most common way to load a bipod is with forward pressure. In certain shooting situations/positions, forward pressure may not be the best option. To wit:
- When using a 55-gallon barrel that is laying on its side for support. The receiver may be right over the top curve of the barrel, and bipod legs will be on the downward-curving portion of the far side of the barrel. In this case, backwards pressure on the bipod will likely stabilize the rifle better.

- When using a wall (or maybe window opening) for support. A more stable position might occur with the bipod legs on the far side of the wall, pulling backwards on the rifle. Sometimes in this setup, if one has the bipod legs on the close side of the wall and pushing the rifle forward, the rifle barrel may be touching the top of the wall -- and thus the barrel may no longer be free floated.

Posts: 8035 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post