SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Geissele mount for a LPVO worth the wait time?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Geissele mount for a LPVO worth the wait time? Login/Join 
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted
I've got a Nightforce ATACR 1-8 F1 inbound for a 5.56 carbine in the works. Reading online seems to indicate that the Geissele extended mount is the way to go...can't find any in stock anywhere right now, is there an acceptable alternative that is just as good or better? This is a buy once, cry once sort of build. Integrally suppressed upper, carbine build.

I appreciate the opinions and advice in advance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13983 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
The Nightforce Ultra Mount is a great choice too and usually available.

I didn't want to spend that much on another so went with a Warn xskel mount that is a solid mount in the $150 range.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
The Nightforce Ultra Mount is a great choice too and usually available.

I didn't want to spend that much on another so went with a Warn xskel mount that is a solid mount in the $150 range.

Thank you.

$325 on amazon prime.
Done.

Thanks! I think that's the last piece of this puzzle.

"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13983 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know you already bought, but just in case anybody else finds the thread later...

Badger
Spuhr
Bobro
Unity
Repitila
Scalarworks

...all also produce good mounts with a variety of features, mounting methods, accessories, mount heights. That's a non-exhaustive list...just the ones that came to mind right now.

Posts: 5190 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
I have both Badger and Scalarworks, and am very happy with both!

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2505 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP you chose wisely with the NF Ultramount. My ATACR 1-8 is in a 1.93” Ultramount. I swapped it into that from a 1.5” Geissele mount.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2355 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I've always stuck with ACOGs, this is my first LPVO. Figured one of my carbine should be setup this way.

www.rikrlandvs.com

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
American Defense has always served me well on numerous optics.
Bobro is great too in my experience but doesn't have as many size options but well made.
Never tried a Scalarworks but I would like too.
Never like Larue all that much but they are a good company, didn't like the adjustment mechanism as well.

Posts: 23106 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Received the Amazon package yesterday only to find they sent me a used one with scratches and dirt on it! I hate supporting MidwayUSA, but a few minutes ago I received an in-stock notification for the geissele. Ordered, and the used Nightforce was returned for a refund. So I'm back to the Geissele. I received notification that my tenebrex killflash is built and in the mail also! Now for some flip caps... my scope didn't come with the customary tenebrex caps? Is that the route to go?

www.rikrlandvs.com

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
Received the Amazon package yesterday only to find they sent me a used one with scratches and dirt on it! I hate supporting MidwayUSA, but a few minutes ago I received an in-stock notification for the geissele. Ordered, and the used Nightforce was returned for a refund. So I'm back to the Geissele. I received notification that my tenebrex killflash is built and in the mail also! Now for some flip caps... my scope didn't come with the customary tenebrex caps? Is that the route to go?

https://aadmount.com/products/caps_nf_1-8atacr

"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2355 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
American Defense has always served me well on numerous optics.
Bobro is great too in my experience but doesn't have as many size options but well made.
Never tried a Scalarworks but I would like too.
Never like Larue all that much but they are a good company, didn't like the adjustment mechanism as well.

Bobro and Scalarworks are not good and have numerous reports of failures. Scalarworks clamp design is silly from an engineering standpoint. ADM is fine if you must have QD, but it’s not necessary. Larue’s clamp design leaves alot to be desired when compared to other contemporary options and their current pricing is bananas.

Geissele, NF Ultramount, Badger, and Reptilia all offer much better options.

blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Ordered. Looking forward to trying them.

www.rikrlandvs.com

Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I went with Bobro for my ATACR, it's rock solid but I also dont have a single round through it yet. I'm function testing tomorrow and running it in a class next weekend.

I have a reptilia mount that is very robust, I also researched other mounts and as mentioned, Badger/Scalarworks seem to be very popular.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9727 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
I went with Bobro for my ATACR, it's rock solid but I also dont have a single round through it yet. I'm function testing tomorrow and running it in a class next weekend.

I have a reptilia mount that is very robust, I also researched other mounts and as mentioned, Badger/Scalarworks seem to be very popular.

If you Google “Bobro mount failure” you’ll see why it’s not a good option. I’d go with ADM, Spuhr, or Era Tac if I was dead set on a QD.

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^That search returns multiple results from the 2011-2017 time frame, but nothing since. I know they changed their scope mount/ring bolt design (which previously had hidden bolts inserted/mounting from the bottom), but have there been other design changes since? It seems people are still buying them but nobody's got any recent complaints and/or poor reviews to speak of.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9256 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems like most end users have given up on Bobro. They had issues with poor clamping force and movement of the mount under recoil, mount failure, among other issues. I don’t know if their issues have been corrected. There are so many other great options, why bother buying Bobro?

Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
^^^That search returns multiple results from the 2011-2017 time frame, but nothing since. I know they changed their scope mount/ring bolt design (which previously had hidden bolts inserted/mounting from the bottom), but have there been other design changes since? It seems people are still buying them but nobody's got any recent complaints and/or poor reviews to speak of.

This was what my research yielded, issues a few years ago that seemingly were corrected. I dont care as much about the issues, I care about how a company deals with it, but I'm also not a professional gunfighter.

I ended up going with Bobro because at the time I purchased, Bobro checked the boxes of availability/price/options.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9727 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post