SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Bought a Finn Mosin!!!!!!!!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought a Finn Mosin!!!!!!!!! Login/Join 
posted
I got interested in Mosin Nagant a while back and got to reading about the Finns modifying them in their own way and I got interested in the M39 model. I have had Sako rifles for years and saw a 1942 Sako M39 on GB and blacked out and won it. I cant wait to get it home so I can enjoy it.

Kevin

Posts: 449 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Cool beans!

Congratulations.

Please post photos, when you are able.

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

What modifications did the Finn’s make that made their variant appealing to you?

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:
Congrats!

What modifications did the Finn’s make that made their variant appealing to you?

Depending upon the exact Finnish model, some had heavier barrels added, modified sites, stronger spliced stocks, shims added under the action, different barrel bands, difference end caps, etc.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sako barrels and much improved sights and the arctic birch stocks.

Posts: 449 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
We need pics of this boomstick! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8875 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Good choice. The Finnish M39s are by far the nicest of the various Mosin Nagant variants.

I've owned four total, and still own these two:

1942 Sako M39
1941 VKT M39

Posts: 32503 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/46ZP9XH8bZs

Pretty good primer/overview on the Finnish Mosin Nagant. I believe there are some decent books on the subject. Great rifles. The Finns knew what they were doing. My VKT shoots lights out w/ cast bullets!!!!

Posts: 4054 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
If you're gonna own just one Nagant, a Finn M39 is an excellent choice. I have an M39 'B' barrrel. The barrel was made by FN in Belgium as a replacement barrel for the Fins.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the club. Here's my 1942 M39 built on an antique Izzy receiver:

0% finish, 100% BTDT

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They all look like good ones! Where do you find the slings at? How do you know which receiver you have?

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kyoung:
They all look like good ones! Where do you find the slings at? How do you know which receiver you have?

Mine came with a sling. You have to take the barreled action out of the stock, the date will be on the receiver tang (usually, some dates are scrubbed).

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Slings used to be cheap and widely available. Not sure if they are these days.

The receiver is marked on the underside of the rear tang. You'll have to take the barreled receiver out of the stock to see it. It'll be a 2 to 4 digit date code and a factory symbol.

The Finns never produced their own receivers, so all Finn Mosins were built using receivers produced for the Russians, some of which came from rifles captured by the Finns directly from the Russians during the Finnish War of Independence, the Winter War, or the Continuation War, and some of which came from rifles that were purchased by Finland in the 1920s and 1930s from other countries like Germany, Czechoslovakia, or Poland who had ended up with stocks of Russian Mosin Nagant rifles after WW1.

The markings on the barrel denote the assembler of the M39 (like Sako in 1942) using the preexisting Mosin Nagant receiver.

Posts: 32503 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So is that a 1923 manufacture?

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yes, that is an example of a receiver made in 1923 by the Izhevsk factory. Factory marking and date styles varied over the years, and from factory to factory.

Tula receivers will have a star or a hammer on their tang.

Izhevsk receivers will have a bow and arrow or an arrow in a triangle.

Sestroryetsk receivers will have a vertical arrow.

Remington receivers will have an R in a circle.

Chatelleraut receivers will have a C in a circle.

New England Westinghouse receivers will have a M with a horizontal arrow through it, on top of the tang. (They were the only Mosin Nagant receiver manufacturer to mark the top rather than the bottom of the tang.)

Of these, Tula and Izhevsk are by far the most common, so chances are your receiver will be one of those two.

Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
hickock45 just did a video on the M39.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
The M39 is a great rifle. Mine was made by Sestroryetsk and IIRC in either 1894 or 1896. The posters above are correct, the Finns really know how to put a rifle together.

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So how do I find out about the markings on my M39? on the edge of the rear tang it has like a cross like a Finn flag? It has a Bow and arrow bolt.

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kyoung:
So how do I find out about the markings on my M39? on the edge of the rear tang it has like a cross like a Finn flag? It has a Bow and arrow bolt.

Mosin Nagant markings.

-Bomber Harris

posted Hide Post
Turns out my M39 has a Tula reciever 1894 to 1917, thats pretty old and cool.