SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Marlin 30/30 project gun
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin 30/30 project gun Login/Join 
posted
My brother was offered this limited edition Marlin 30/30 for $300 and asked if it was a good deal. I told him t get it or I would. Anyway, the gun has some surface rust and the lever is hard to operate, but should clean up nicely. Here are some before pics. I’ll post other pics when I am done working on it. The Tasco and rings are going in the trasco…lol.

Before

After….cleaned up nicely and well worth the $300 he paid.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: usncorpsman,

Posts: 1130 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Nice job! What did you use to clean the surface rust?

Posts: 2161 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Great score, and it cleaned up well. JM Marlins are commanding astronomical prices over the last several years; he got that for about half or less than current values. Good score.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15780 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would have jumped on it at $300. Next up would be Skinner or XS sights.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16364 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barndg00:
Nice job! What did you use to clean the surface rust?

Seconded on both counts.

I wouldn’t have passed on that for $300.

Posts: 11544 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used 0000 steel wool and CLP to clean the metal and linseed oil on the stock. The gun was in excellent condition with no pitting in the metal.

Posts: 1130 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
That's a beauty, and $300 is a steal for any Marlin these days. Levers have gotten so stupid expensive that you almost feel bad using them for their intended purpose. A gun like that is perfect...reasonably priced, still a looker, yet no so immaculate that you're afraid to take it out in the woods and use it. Your brother is going to have some good times with that rifle!

Posts: 9167 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by usncorpsman:
I used 0000 steel wool and CLP to clean the metal and linseed oil on the stock. The gun was in excellent condition with no pitting in the metal.

That's sweet to here. Really looking forward to monitoring this thread. You planning on any tacticaly type conversions? Or, you going to leave it as is/traditional?

Posts: 6707 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Other than the ornate woodwork, very similar to my mid 90s 30AW

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15949 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post