SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What do you consider"accurate" for a rifle?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you consider"accurate" for a rifle? Login/Join 
Picture of p08
posted
I call a gun that will shoot less than 1" @ 100 yards accurate. The most accurate gun I ever owned shot just over 1/4" @ 200 yards. A custom Shilen bench rest rifle in 6mm Norma BR. Was a one trick pony and no place to really let it stretch it's legs around here. The farthest I can shoot is 268 yards. Other than that, the cost of loading the rounds as it only likes Lapua Scenar bullets.

This is 5 shots.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1 MOA seems the dividing line so I would agree with that.

My CZ 452 can put an entire box of Wolf Match .22LR's in an inch at 50 yards. Just bags or bipod and bag, nothing fancy. Only mods were opening up the barrel channel a little to ensure free float, and an adjustable sear to lower the engagement which minimized creep and lightened the trigger to between 2 and 3 lbs. Scope is a Leupold VX-II EFR Rimfire 3-9x.

I call that accurate because it's relative easy to shoot with that kind of consistency. Still, it's 20 rounds at 2 MOA. If I tried as much as precision shooters do it might put 5 into 1/2" but it's fun blasting out the middle ring too. I let my ex shoot it (we were still married at the time) and she said, "this is too easy".

For centerfire, which is more inherently consistent than rimfire, 1 MOA is accurate, and 1/2 MOA I think is highly accurate. No real reason, but just what I'm thinking.

Posts: 4702 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I can ring a 4" steel plate at 300 yards or a little over, I'll take it. That's accurate enough for me to put a round where I want to.

I do have a heavy barrel Winchester rifle in 243 that'll impress but it's not a rifle I'd carry.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1 inch at a 100 works for me for scoped. For irons, 2.5 inches. Limitation for irons are more my age and eyesight then the gun or caliber.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends on what type of rifle. Scoped bolt action - I have a couple of rifles that can generally average .4"-.8" groups at 100 yards (five shot groups). Anything over 1 MOA and I messed up.

AR15 - if I can average somewhere around 1.25" at 100 I'm generally happy. That means a few sub MOA groups and a few where I messed up and things opened up to 1.5+ MOA. From a practical standpoint, if I can get hits on a 2/3 IPSC steel target at 400 yards that's really all I need out of an AR.

Posts: 541 | Location: Gunnison, CO | Registered: March 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What do you want to use the rifle for? That completely defines the parameters of accuracy and what one might consider accurate.
And more importantly the constraints on delivering that accuracy.
In competition there are a number of rule constraints like rifle weight for example. In real life the same. There are benchrest groups that boggle the mind. But those go with weights and calibers etc. that I would have no use for shooting invading zombies for example. In any case the absolute varies by purpose. I think the current 200y bench rest record is like .096 for reference. Probably smaller for those guns that don't have a weight limit and mount on slabs of rock, but I don't even know what they call those. But I don't actively follow this stuff.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
For semi-auto, 1 MOA or less.

For Bolt action, 1/2 MOA or less.

I've built quite a few M14's that were in the 1/2 to 3/4 MOA range. For my M14's, 1.5 MOA is really good. 1 MOA is fantastic! 1/2 MOA is Out-F####ng-Standing!

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Besides the intended us, even a casual shooter needs to evaluate some variables. As my example I’ll use the 100 yard hunting rifle.

It’s often the case, most guns have a preference for certain ammo or type or hand loads. How is the trigger? Do we have an average 3-9 scope or a clear, high powered, target scope?

Of course ability of the shooter is another biggie, how much practice.

Are we shooting off the hood of a truck or a solid bench & rest at the range?

I guess this is all common sense, just saying, one needs to weed through variables along the way. I do realize, those variables are all the more plentiful with ‘benchrest shooting’ & competition.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm with Tony.

Posts: 5161 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:

Tony.

This is what I consider accurate also. And I'm talking about 5 shot groups, not 3 shot groups.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I'm a Bench rest competitor.
At 100 i want to put them all in one hole.
My 30br will do it.
My 6bra gets close but it's a 8 T made for 600 - 1k.
2.5" groups of 5 @ 600, score around 45 is my average.
I'm hoping for 1.5 average this year.

Bat D/s actions, bartlien & brux barrels, jewel triggers, NF 15x55 scopes.
Farley front. EW rear

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My best is my Tikka T3x Light Stainless in 270WIN
First time out with it, 5 shots in 3 holes with just over a 1" spread at 100yds.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15289 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:

Tony.

This is what I consider accurate also. And I'm talking about 5 shot groups, not 3 shot groups.

Same criteria for me.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me, I consider it accurate when the deer or hog immediately drops when shot and does not move.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I try to avoid the public range, but I do get a kick observing results in early November. It’s kinda busy then, 1” groups at 100 yards are very rare.

If course most will do for the average 75 yard shot at a deer.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
If I can hit a 3 inch gong at 100 yards, I’m pleased. I’m a hunter, not a target shooter. I don’t shoot at deer over 150-200 yards, and most of my shots are closer to 50 yards in brush.
For rimfire, I’ll try to shoot groups at 50 yards and I’m happy with 1 inch there. But that’s with 3x9 scope and bulk pack ammo in a stock 10/22, so I don’t expect too much.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definition of accuracy to me. Center point of the group is on the intended target. Or how well me and my rifle can shoot point of aim/point of impact. If I can shoot 1 MOA point of aim/point of impact, I'd win a lot of the LR steel matches I shoot. Dot Drills are an excellent test for accuracy!

Definition of precision to me. Ability to shoot a small group with disregard of hitting the target. Seems more and more that is the way many judge themselves and their rifles. Not saying that's everyone who has posted! Certainly see that more at the local ranges and on the innerweb these days.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I consider an accurate rifle to be one that I would trust to take a shot on an animal at 300+ yards in typical hunting conditions. I hunt in the valley south of San Antonio and in the Hill Country. There are shots from 75 to 500 yards with elevation changes which are sometimes pretty dramatic. If I were just shooting steel plates I would take those longer shots, but I don’t want to wound an animal and lose it. Better to take those midrange shots from 250-350 that I know I can make.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I don’t know when the distinction between “precise” and “accurate” became a thing, because it wasn’t something I ever heard until the last several years. I’m pretty sure that when Townsend Whelen said that only “accurate” rifles were interesting, he was referring to the inherent capability of a gun, not how it was regulated to hit a target.

I do accept, though, that unlike some of the shooting- and firearms-related nonsense that gets invented regularly, it is a useful distinction. I do like to shoot tiny groups (“precision”) and the improvements of even factory rifles and ammunition have made that much easier in recent times. I’ve posted a number of pictures of the groups my Tikka rifles can produce with factory ammunition, and keep thinking that I really should get back into handloading to try to do even better.

It’s somewhat more satisfying, though, to be able to hit the targets (“accuracy”) I establish for the various courses and drills I’ve developed for myself. That’s usually much more dependent upon my marksmanship skills as a shooter using various techniques than the inherent quality of the rifle and ammunition. Shooting small groups is partially dependent upon the skill of the shooter, but usually not to the degree of actually hitting a difficult target.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ksss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I don’t know when the distinction between “precise” and “accurate” became a thing, because it wasn’t something I ever heard until the last several years. I’m pretty sure that when Townsend Whelen said that only “accurate” rifles were interesting, he was referring to the inherent capability of a gun, not how it was regulated to hit a target.

I do accept, though, that unlike some of the shooting- and firearms-related nonsense that gets invented regularly, it is a useful distinction. I do like to shoot tiny groups (“precision”) and the improvements of even factory rifles and ammunition have made that much easier in recent times. I’ve posted a number of pictures of the groups my Tikka rifles can produce with factory ammunition, and keep thinking that I really should get back into handloading to try to do even better.

It’s somewhat more satisfying, though, to be able to hit the targets (“accuracy”) I establish for the various courses and drills I’ve developed for myself. That’s usually much more dependent upon my marksmanship skills as a shooter using various techniques than the inherent quality of the rifle and ammunition. Shooting small groups is partially dependent upon the skill of the shooter, but usually not to the degree of actually hitting a difficult target.

I agree, combining the skills of accuracy and precision are, in my opinion, are the most useful and fulfilling. Having a rifle and ammo that are capable of a high degree of accuracy is step one. Improving your marksmanship ability to utilize that high degree of accuracy is much more challenging and more fulfilling. Sitting in the prone position and shooting sub .5 groups tells you what you and your rifle are capable of. Adding drills that require, movement, decision making and time restrictions challenge the shooter to be able to get as close to his stationary precision capability as possible.

We used some drills that we called "Know your limits". These included 4 hostage faces. Each face had an impact area of different sizes from larger to extremely small that were positioned next to the face of the hostage. We would run the range several times to elevate the heartbeat or practice pulling our rifles from our vehicles, getting set up and engage the targets. The smaller targets you could engage and the faster you could do it was extremely helpful in creating confidence and very rewarding (when your successful).

Posts: 390 | Location: idaho | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post