SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    FYI, Marlin .357 lever action rifles back in stock at Bud's
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FYI, Marlin .357 lever action rifles back in stock at Bud's Login/Join 
Engraving is
scratching
on purpose
Picture of mm6mm6
posted Hide Post

My early 1980s Marlin 1894C .357 Magnum with a custom cut down barrel to 16".

I removed the white spacer between the stock and the buttplate, refinished the wood with a satin oil finish, slicked up the action, and installed a Skinner rear peep sight and the tallest .571 gold bead front sight that Marble Arms makes. Slick little shooter!

Posts: 985 | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ That is a beauty! Can't beat vintage. Not that early 80's is that old, but damn, that rifle has the look! Very nice!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38641 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
^^^ That is a beauty! Can't beat vintage. Not that early 80's is that old, but damn, that rifle has the look! Very nice!

Very nice- I have 4 shorty Marlin 1894’s (3 44’s, 1 .357); two are chopped, and two are factory. I can’t bring myself to chop my pre-CBS 1894C though.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15550 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Old thread, but Has anyone picked up one of the recent Marlins in .357?

thinking seriously about getting one....

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10892 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
They don't make what I really want.

I want a CSBL that holds 10 rounds of .38, and has a "regular" lever. I don't care for the oversized one.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Old thread, but Has anyone picked up one of the recent Marlins in .357?

thinking seriously about getting one....

If four months is old. Wink

I really like mine! Fit and finish is great and shoots as well as I do. Smile

Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38641 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Which one did you get, 6guns?
I looked at one - the stainless, with the threaded barrel - at my LGS, and it felt like it had sand in the action. It was HORRIBLY stiff, too. Talking with the gun counter guys, We postulated over the probability of that smoothing out with shooting and racking, but it was just a bit of a disappointment.

The cheapest, base model, though, was pretty smooth. made us wonder about the differences of coatings and finishes.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
I looked at one - the stainless, with the threaded barrel - at my LGS, and it felt like it had sand in the action. It was HORRIBLY stiff, too. Talking with the gun counter guys, We postulated over the probability of that smoothing out with shooting and racking, but it was just a bit of a disappointment.

The cheapest, base model, though, was pretty smooth. made us wonder about the differences of coatings and finishes.

Remington is not expending any time to take the necessary steps to ensure a smoothly cycling and functioning firearm. They may have new, state of the art CNC machines producing their lever guns, but they are skipping several important steps to finish them prior to shipping.

It would take a craftsman several minutes to go over a new lever gun and detail it for stock figment burrs, tolerances, and sharp edges, etc. but that costs money in the opinion of Remington.

I have an 1895G that was a travesty when it left Ilion NY. A canted, out of radius front sight (front and rear were not in alignment) extremely proud stock and forearm wood, gritty action, and every machined area with a 90 degree or less edge as sharp as a razor blade (not joking- the leading edge of the loading gate will nip the tip of your thumb off if you are loading too rapidly).

Most of these issues could be dealt with fairly rapidly (except perhaps the stocks; would take a bit more time at the belt sander- the barrel should NEVER made it onto the receiver). But despite turning out a higher percentage of more acceptable guns, Remington is betting on the fact that the average consumer doesn’t really realize what they’re getting for their money as long as it goes “bang”.

There are plenty of true, pre-2009 JM stamped Marlins still in the wild that are comparably priced to new Remingtons. As long as they can still be had, I will never again plunk money down on another Remlin.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15550 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:

Click the link in the original post. That's the one I got. Maybe I got lucky, but I'm very pleased with it! Many of the posters here aren't very trusting, but I got a good one.

Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:
Just saw in my new Shooting Times magazine that they now offer this rifle in this and several other calibers now with a threaded barrel.....

https://www.marlinfirearms.com...-1894/model-1894-cst

Gonna have to get me one to go with my suppressors.....Mark

Can you elaborate for me on what other calibers are being offered with factory threading? I have a can in jail right now that might use something like this....

ETA: found this: https://www.thefirearmblog.com...w-marlin-lever-guns/

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:

And that is why there is a "cottage industry" of Gunsmiths who slick up Marlin rifles. Especially for Cowboy Action.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:

And that is why there is a "cottage industry" of Gunsmiths who slick up Marlin rifles. Especially for Cowboy Action.

I don't think Widowmaker Hill is even trying on the new Marlins...but he can make the pre-Remington models run like a scalded hog!...

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/aDr0R-0Xj1A

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post