SIGforum
Scope Mount Options for Mini 14

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/7340086224

April 14, 2017, 07:43 AM
Kyjondeere
Scope Mount Options for Mini 14
I'd like to add a scope to my mini 14. I am very unfamiliar with scope mounts for this platform. What are others using? I see many options available but not sure of the best options.
April 14, 2017, 07:59 AM
Gene Hillman
Can you be more specific on which model Mini-14 you have? The options are very different on different models.
April 14, 2017, 09:01 AM
RogueJSK
quote:
Originally posted by Gene Hillman:
Can you be more specific on which model Mini-14 you have? The options are very different on different models.

Yep.

All of the newer 580-series Minis, and some of the older 180/190-series Minis (namely the "Ranch Rifle" model), come with Ruger's standard integral scope mounts built into the receiver, which makes attaching a scope easy. You just need a set of Ruger rings.

Even if your Mini is an older model that doesn't have the integral scope mounts as shown below, there may still be options.

April 14, 2017, 10:00 AM
Kyjondeere
Mine has the integral notches in the receiver like the photo above.
April 14, 2017, 10:24 AM
NikonUser
quote:
Originally posted by Kyjondeere:
I'd like to add a scope to my mini 14. I am very unfamiliar with scope mounts for this platform. What are others using? I see many options available but not sure of the best options.

Best scope mount? Replace it with an AR-15.
April 14, 2017, 10:25 AM
NikonUser
quote:
Originally posted by Kyjondeere:
Mine has the integral notches in the receiver like the photo above.

Ah, in that case, get the rings from Ruger.
April 14, 2017, 10:49 AM
RogueJSK
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:

Roll Eyes Every Mini thread, someone's gotta chime in with an unhelpful comment like "Get an AR".

I have a bunch of ARs. But I also enjoy shooting my Mini-14. Variety is a good thing.
April 14, 2017, 11:02 AM
NikonUser
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:

Roll Eyes Every Mini thread, someone's gotta chime in with an unhelpful comment like "Get an AR".

I have a bunch of ARs. But I also enjoy shooting my Mini-14. Variety is a good thing.

How is it unhelpful?

A riflescope is wasted on a Mini-14. But if he really wants one, he should get the Ruger rings. An alternative would be to get the Burris adapters and then use whatever Weaver/Picatinny rings he wants.
April 14, 2017, 10:09 PM
hrcjon
I use the ultimak with a dot, but it would work fine with some sort of scout scope.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”
May 26, 2017, 12:18 PM
blfuller
I would recommend the Warne QD rings for the Ruger in 30mm and a 30mm optic of your choice, probably a 1-4X.

A rifle scope on a Mini-14 is not wasted. Some like optics on a firearm, especially if there are some vision issues on being unable to focus on the front sight, say if you are nearsighted.