SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    S&W Model 1854
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W Model 1854 Login/Join 
posted
Did anyone else get an email this morning from S&W announcing this model's introduction?

https://www.smith-wesson.com/1854

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
For those of you who think Grandpa's old thirty-thirty is too fudd-licious, now you can get yourself ones of these and mount a red dot, vertical foregrip, laser, and serrated muzzle brake on your mid-1800s lever gun! Roll Eyes

(Straight from their marketing material: "Strategically flattened spaces on the forend with M-LOK slots allow you to mount grips, lights, or lasers and have them sit flush against the rifle.")

Posts: 32522 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Not the worst HD option in my state.

Posts: 9969 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$1200+ bucks? Nope. $750 and in .357? I might jump then.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16098 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
ick

Posts: 107624 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
It’s becoming increasingly clear that wood/blued steel is a thing of the past. I’m looking to expand my hunting rifle collection and there is nothing that appeals. It’s all Creedmoor or PRC rounds with Tupperware. Im getting a bit sick of it honestly. Can’t even find a good used rifle for under $1k even at pawn shops anymore

Posts: 2833 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
It’s becoming increasingly clear that wood/blued steel is a thing of the past.

Then good news! While it's not blued, they do offer a wood version of the 1854... for the low, low price of merely $3500. Eek

More than double the price of the base model.

Posts: 32522 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got the email and investigated as well. Gorgeous wood but 3500 bucks is fucking insane. Plus if you are going to copy Henry and do a mag tube and a loading gate the copy them and don’t put a cross bolt safety either. Yuck.

Posts: 7527 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I'm ok that these exist. If it gives the tactical hipsters an outlet for their shenanigans and saves some old-school leverguns from molestation, it's worth it!

I like lever-actions and enjoy them for what they are (especially the pistol-caliber ones), but for a fighting tool a lever will never beat even a basic AR, no matter how much stuff you hang off of it.

Posts: 8580 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
I actually like it. I’m not one that personally likes the look of wear and tear, and considers scratches and what not to be a desirable patina. I like to keep my stuff looking new. For me that means that if I have a gun that’s wooden and blued, it is primarily to be admired visually, and carefully taken to the range occasionally. I can enjoy it, but it must be enjoyed carefully, and to me it’s not something I’d subject to hard use. So for something to be used in the field, I’ll always choose stainless and synthetic if it’s an option. Not to mention that I also like the look of stainless and synthetic, even if it’s not quite as pretty as wood and a good bluing job. So while I appreciate more classic styling in certain firearms, they make up a much smaller share of my current and future collection.

As for the rest of the gun, I like the picatinny rail. It just makes scope mounting a breeze, whether it’s a traditional scope, a red dot, or whatever else you desire, I like the rail and since it includes sights there really isn’t a penalty for it. I could take it or leave it, with respect to M lok hand guards. I don’t love the look, but they aren’t that bad, and they do have some function. If I were to get this rifle I’d probably stick a smaller red dot on there, and call it a good woods/ general outdoor rifle. The reality is that this could easily be setup for a great general purpose camp/ defense gun. Stick a surefire x300 on the forearm and it gives up little, and does add utility. Ultimately, I kinda like it, while recognizing it might not be for everyone. If they made a synthetic stock option without the M-lock, that would be my personal preference.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5578 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Then good news! While it's not blued, they do offer a wood version of the 1854... for the low, low price of merely $3500. Eek

They can keep it. I'd get a custom with wood just as good or better for about the same price. That shit is crazy

Posts: 2833 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is an 1892 dating back to 1904. Sometimes in it's past (I suspect 1950's) a previous owner sent it in to Winchester to have it re-barreled in 357 Magnum. In a addition based on the lack of wear the wood was replaced with a rather nicely figured set. Total cost at a local Gun Show - 600 dollars. Sometimes a blind squirrel can find a very large and tasty Nut.

As for that S&W with it's pretty wood, what no checkering? For that kind of money I would expect nothing less than a very nicely done 26 LPI Checkering on forearm and stock.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5650 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Does it have a lock in the rear part of the receiver? Razz

Hard pass. Lever action = cowboy gun. Looks like a gun for those in ban states like CA.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16708 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It’s interesting to see this.

A friend became interested in lever action rifles and that prompted me to start watching some of the many videos about modern versions with things like Picatinny rails and threaded barrels. One of the things that appeals to some people is that they can (partially) fill a defensive weapon niche for people who can’t or don’t want to own the AR evilness incarnate. If one lives where bans or restrictions are blithely believed to ever be impossible, that is of course no consideration. But for the rest of us who either live in such places or even just pay attention to the sorts of things that have occurred where “That could never happen here” wasn’t “never” after all, it may be something to think about. Such guns are also often recommended for people who spend a lot of time traveling around the country; a lever action rifle is among the least likely firearms to run afoul of local laws.

On the other hand, I can’t imagine choosing a rifle chambered for 44 Magnum as a primary defensive weapon when there are better cartridges for the purpose. Although I have no intention of acquiring one myself, an intriguing new development is Henry’s “Lever Action Supreme” that uses AR style magazines and is available in 223 or 300 Blackout.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love that it is in 44 Magnum (357 Magnum would be great also); but yesterday I made a special trip to the not so nearby Cabela's for boots, etc. They had only one box of 44 Magnum, and no 44 Special.

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
The price of lever guns has gone crazy!

^^^ Scooter 123 that is a beautiful Winchester, congratulations.

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
A new design lever gun made by Smith & Wesson? What could possibly go wrong?
I wouldn't buy a lever gun from Smith & Wesson even if someone else paid for it.

The one I am waiting for is the Marlin 1894 Model/Dark Series # 70904 in .44 Magnum/.44 Special. Early 2024 release date. Link: https://www.marlinfirearms.com...erAction-DarkSeries/
The 1895 Dark Series is already released in 45-70.
The 336 Dark Series in 30-30 is also an early 2024 release date.
They also have planned a 1894 Dark Series in.357 Magnum/.38 Special with an undetermined release date.

Aluminum Handguard. M-LOK slots.
Synthetic Stock. User removable cheek riser for scope usage.
Picatinny Rail. Rear adjustable peep/ghost ring sight.
Threaded Barrel. Muzzle Break.
Front night sight with tritium ring around the fiber optic rod.
Cerakote finish/low glare.
Nitride finish on bolt and lever.
Lever loop is enlarged for gloved hand.

It's just plain ugly. It will be the nicest .44 Magnum lever gun on the market for hunting and self defense. It's all business.

My FFL says it will be impossible/difficult to source due to demand. And I will do whatever is required to acquire one.
I do wish it was manufactured totally from stainless steel and completely nitride finished. But I can live with it as is.
It will also come with a Ruger warranty, which I vastly prefer over a Smith & Wesson warranty.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1545 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Smith and Wesson releases a new rifle.. and it's a Marlin. Wink Which is now really a Ruger.

Are they actually making them I wonder? Or is someone else making them for them, like just about every other long arm they've ever sold.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Meh. A Marlin and a Henry spent a hot sweaty night together with a bottle of Boone's Farm and this is what came out.

Don't get me wrong, I love lever guns but this is a hard pass for me. For me a modern lever action is lightweight, short, fast handling and packs a punch. I have a Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70 which I love. Keep it simple, keep it light; hanging tactical stuff off of it takes away from both of these goals. I also prefer a straight stock without the pistol grip just for keeping it compact and being able to carry it in a smaller profile scabbard.

For a modern lever, short barrel, Pic rail on top to mount a peep sight or red dot if needed. Stainless or cerakoted for weather resistance with a laminated wood or synthetic stock. And in a caliber that packs a punch like .45-70. I admit I'd be intrigued with more modern cartridges. I know there are some custom makers doing older style Winchesters in .500 and .460 Smith & Wesson.

The other question is where is Winchester? There's a resurgence in lever guns and the most well known name for levers seems to be ignoring the trend.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11769 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
460 & 500 S&W cost even more.
https://www.bighornarmory.com/...9-carbine-18-500-sw/

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post