SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Red dot for PCC
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red dot for PCC Login/Join 
Picture of Ironmike57
posted
Gentlemen,
I just picked up on of these and I need to equip it with a dot. Without breaking the bank.

https://ruger.com/products/lcC...pecSheets/19309.html

The intended uses are for steel challenge, bedside gun, and truck gun. I would like always on or shake awake.

I’d like to spend 700.00 tops.

Thanks,
Mike

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ironmike57,

Posts: 2036 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
Aimpoints hard to beat. But no shake awake.

Holosun/Sig Romeo 5 much cheaper and have shake awake. Still pretty durable.

Posts: 2190 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Put a Sig Romeo 5 on my Ruger and could not be happier.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sandmatt,

Posts: 164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: November 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sandmatt:
Put an Sig Romeo 5 on my Ruger and could not be happier.
same here

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3284 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
That’s 112.00 on Amazon! Seems low for a quality optic. But, I trust your judgement.

quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
quote:
Put an Sig Romeo 5 on my Ruger and could not be happier.
same here

Posts: 2036 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am in the same position as the OP, just bought a PCC and looking for the right optic. What makes a $500 - $700 Aimpoint/Holosun/Eotech "better" than a sub $150 Romeo 5? I don't really want to spend that much more if I don't have to.

Posts: 572 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Holosun 403. $125-150 depending on features. Mine have green dots, shake awake, bazillion battery hours, one of them has solar, they both have NV modes. I wouldn’t spend $700 on a red dot for a 9mm PCC, that amount would buy a quality suppressor, and that’s with stamp and sales tax.

Posts: 17573 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kho:
I am in the same position as the OP, just bought a PCC and looking for the right optic. What makes a $500 - $700 Aimpoint/Holosun/Eotech "better" than a sub $150 Romeo 5? I don't really want to spend that much more if I don't have to.

1. The belief that if the more expensive one is placed in a protracted deployment situation it would fare better.

2. Couple that with the fact that the .gov literally can print money so any optic used by the .gov is going to have the inverse relationship with supply and cost. Because these companies don't rely on civilian sales, and because lots of people are willing to shell out the $$ for "battle tested", they are going to cost more.

3. Plus a lot of times they have specific and cool features like NV capabilities and such that the lower cost don't have.

4. And they aren't made in China.

That said, it's very very hard to justify the price difference between Aimpoint and Holosun, especially since Aimpoint does not have green reticles, which I have fallen in love with. I have both of these and would not get an "battle" Aimpoint (mine is the CompM4) really for any reason unless it was gently used and cheap. The "Pro" versions are really good, but it is very hard to justify that over, for me, the Holosun and (effectively) 1500 (9mm)/1000 (5.56) rounds of ammunition for the same price.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 2058 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m499
posted Hide Post
I bought a Vortex SPARC Solar red dot for my Ruger 5.7 Charger. Seems to be high quality and it has the shake-awake you're looking for.

I also like the unlimited no questions asked warranty that Vortex provides. Not sure if SIG or the others do the same.

I'd say the Vortex seems to be a step above the SIG Romeo5 I have on another rifle. The Vortex comes with a mount giving you a lower 1/3 co-witness with your irons where-as the SIG comes with an "absolute co-witness" mount. I definitely prefer the slightly taller mount of the Vortex. You'd spend $100 or more for a similar mount bought separately. The SPARC can be found for $225-250.

https://vortexoptics.com/sparc-solar-red-dot.html

Posts: 2699 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: January 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
don't forget Primary Arms has a lot of different selections and reticles.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8140 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I got an Sig Romeo 5 at Academy, it was the one with the regular rail and the riser(same price), for under $125

It has the shake awake magic

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11439 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
I have both a Romeo 5 and Aimpoint T-1. They each serve a purpose and both are great in their respective roles. The Aimpoint is always on and sits atop my end of the world AR15. The Romeo 5, of which I have several, sit atop backup ARs as well as a Scorpion and do well in that role.

For a PCC gun/truck gun,I would be fine with Romeo 5. For a “come hell or high water” gun, I want the Aimpoint.

Posts: 1376 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Primary Arms SLx red dots are slick units.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7057 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For that use I'd think a Holosun 510

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 989 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Put a Sig Romeo 5 on my Ruger and could not be happier.

I have 3 on different lower budget weapons (shotgun, a shorty 8" 300blk, and a PCC), and they are all rock solid. Best budget red dot available, imho. They aren't treated nicely by me.

Posts: 1765 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Holosun AEMS on my 9mm PCC. I love the large window and circle dot reticle. If you are military or law enforcement, you get a nice discount at PA. The core model with just the dot is even cheaper.

https://www.primaryarms.com/ho...le-dot-red-dot-sight

https://www.primaryarms.com/ho...-2-moa-red-dot-sight

Posts: 1130 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Interesting. One of the guys in my squad is pushing me to get the 510C. He uses it and loves it.
Do you own one? If so, do you use a riser?

quote:
Originally posted by JonDaddy82:
For that use I'd think a Holosun 510

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ironmike57,

Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
So many good options. Thanks for your suggestions.

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I have an Acro P2 on my SP5K and really like it. I also have an Aimpoint T1 that is really good, too. You may be able to bring the price down a bit by searching for used ones.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17575 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
I ended up buying the Holosun 512C.
Zero it tomorrow.