SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Cz evo versus ruger takedown
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cz evo versus ruger takedown Login/Join 
Picture of lee40215
posted
Been wanting to get a 9mm rifle. Been looking at the cz evo carbine and the ruger takedown. Really like the cz but it’s around 400.00 more. Haven’t owned a cz rifle so looking for feedback on those that have had one.

Posts: 1097 | Location: Louisville, Kentucky | Registered: August 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an S3 Scorpion and it's fine. Not the carbine but the action is exactly the same. It's reliable and there is a lot of aftermarket support. Magpul makes really good 35 round mags too. I just got a new Micro 3+ so I'll be selling the S3.

The Ruger PC Takedown is just weird to me. It works but it can't seem to decide what it wants to be. Every line on it is out of whack - handguards look crooked, etc. But if you want to use Glock mags that's one advantage. And it's Ruger so customer support and service is going to be good.

My CZ 452 bolt actions are outstanding, but an entirely different animal.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I have a Scorpion Micro pistol with an SB Tactical brace on it, same action as the rifle. I really like it, but it gets less attention since I got an SP5. The CZ has a huge bolt that some feels adds to the felt recoil, but I don't really notice it. As Lefty Sig noted, the Scorpion has a huge aftermarket assortment of money draining stuff, I certainly replaced a number of items. But mags are inexpensive compared to Glock mags.

The CZ rifle is going to be a little bit lighter than the PC Carbine, and does come with a proprietary folding stock. I don't have the PC Takedown, but I have shot it a few times years ago shortly after release, and it was fine, even though the sights were kind of weird on it (no optic). I actually like my original PC-9 more (non T.D.) that I bought over 20 years ago, but I haven't shot it in years, my other 9mms get all of the attention. Ruger now makes the PC in different configs, the one with the M-LOK aluminum handguards and pistol grip seems to be better looking than the original Takedown, but a bit more money.

If budget is a concern, the CZ will take more money, especially if you mod it with aftermarket improvements.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I have both and prefer my CZ's. Lighter and seems to point better than the Rugers.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my CZ Evo. It is the pistol version w/ brace and shoots like a laser. It is comfortable to shoot and recoil is not that bad. Aftermarket support is amazing and has a good track record so far. The pistols can be had for approx. $7-800 and I saw the carbine at Kentucky Gun Co. for around $900 with their last email/sale they are having a few days prior.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lee40215
posted Hide Post
Kygunco the cz looking at is 968.00 the ruger has the mlock and would need to buy online run around 700.00 maybe a tad over with taxes and transfer. Off the feedback here probably leaning toward the cz thanks guys

Posts: 1097 | Location: Louisville, Kentucky | Registered: August 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 9mm rifle world is filled with great choices right now. I have quite a few of the CZ's and its pretty solid in its OEM form, and has a HUGE aftermarket to fix anything you don't like or even think you don't like. No experience on the Ruger, but again there is lots of info out there. But what to pick in this area is somewhat dependent on what you want to do with it. Me if I just wanted a 9mm rifle to play I'd get an AR in 9mm that takes glock mags.
But it really depends on your goals. With lots of rounds in an EVO the net is the only part that really sucks is the trigger and there are fixes.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I have both. I prefer the Scorpion by a wide margin. To me it is a lot more fun to shoot. The Ruger is nice, but heavy. It also is easy to take apart and throw in a back pack. If this isn't a needed feature then the Scorpion is an easy choice. Not considering the cost difference of course.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post