SIGforum
Aimpoint PRO

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/7160050584

September 14, 2021, 06:23 AM
jdshank
Aimpoint PRO
Picked up my Colt 6920 with a Aimpoint PRO on it too check the battery and discovered that the battery was almost dead? Aimpoint was new 3/1/21 but no clue how old battery was. I keep the dot at the 3rd from top setting and rifle was in the corner not being moved so 5,000+- hours seems short? What battery do the users here like and what's your battery life like?
September 14, 2021, 07:00 AM
pedropcola
I have 2 PRO’s. They are kept on a very low setting. The batteries have lasted YEARS.
September 14, 2021, 08:49 AM
hrcjon
I get years as well on any aimpoint but the acro including the pros that I have. But I have run into the issue a couple of times that the battery that was included in the sight packaging didn't last very long . When replaced with a known good surefire battery then all was normal.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”
September 14, 2021, 04:10 PM
jdshank
What brand of battery is considered top line?
September 14, 2021, 05:37 PM
limblessbiff
It’s supposed to last 3 years on setting 3 or 4 I believe. Mine will last a year plus some change with it on around 6 or 7 if I remember right. But I change it out every Christmas anyway
September 14, 2021, 09:32 PM
Rustpot
quote:
Originally posted by jdshank:
What brand of battery is considered top line?

Duracell.
September 16, 2021, 08:55 PM
hrcjon
I think the surefire ones are the ones to use. and that's what I use by the hundreds per year withoug issue.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”
September 17, 2021, 01:30 AM
bubbatime
I had one on a patrol rifle, and the LED got noticeably dimmer after about 9 months. I then went to a schedule, and changed the battery every 6 months.

September 17, 2021, 04:47 AM
KSGM
I am the guy that turns his red dot off when he puts the gun away. I have realized over the past couple years that I represent the minority.
September 17, 2021, 08:12 AM
Modern Day Savage
I've posted about this in previous threads, but not recently, and this thread is as good as any...

...I've owned several Aimpoints, including two of their PRO models. I had a spare PRO, essentially new, that came with Duracells from the factory. I had powered it up to test function and test mounted it, but then removed the unit and removed the battery to store with the unit in its factory box. My practice is to store all electronics with batts removed.

When I decided to sell the unit a year or so later I wanted to re-verify function before sale and I found that the Duracells had leaked inside the storage foam in the box but, luckily, only a small amount and the fluid never touched the actual unit.

Aimpoint, reportedly, has outstanding customer service, but I'm not sure if they would cover damage from leaking batteries.
September 17, 2021, 09:34 AM
armored
I have heard bad things about Duracells. I used to use them exclusively in all my battery powered devices.

I started to notice battery case leakage.
After some research on batteries I switched over the EverReady.
September 17, 2021, 07:30 PM
jdshank
Duracell has cost me more flashlights and gps units then I care to mention.Bottom line is my stuff is always ready to use if need be and leaky batteries don't get rebought!
September 17, 2021, 07:47 PM
Modern Day Savage
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
I have heard bad things about Duracells. I used to use them exclusively in all my battery powered devices.

I started to notice battery case leakage.
After some research on batteries I switched over the EverReady.

quote:
Originally posted by jdshank:
Duracell has cost me more flashlights and gps units then I care to mention.Bottom line is my stuff is always ready to use if need be and leaky batteries don't get rebought!

About 30+ years ago I knew a man that I greatly respected and appreciated, who had built his first (very successful) business by supplying the various federal agencies and departments with every sort of electric and electronic component, everything from vacuum tubes and power supplies to transistors and capacitors, to cases full of batteries. He once told me that Duracells were his top performing batts and what he sold to .gov, and based on his recommendation, Duracells are what I bought for my own personal use. I had stellar performance from them in terms of reliability and longevity, for at least a couple decades...

...but, things change. Between my own leaky Duracells and reading the comments of others, it seems there are better batt options today. I've read great things about SureFire batts and I have a set in one of my main EDC flash lights that have been performing reliably for me now for over a decade now.
September 18, 2021, 07:07 PM
jdshank
You Sir, Are right on the money about Duracell's!!
September 26, 2021, 09:54 PM
Jerod
Meh , turn them off. If you dont have time to turn the knob to ON , you are in trouble already and should use the rifle as a club and crush the head of the bad guy ! Wink

Sig 551
W. German P228
W. German P226
Spec. Conf.P220
Navy MK 25
Non rail P229