SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Colt LE901
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt LE901 Login/Join 
Picture of PGT
posted
I've casually been looking for one for a couple of years. Found a great deal on this example...four PMAGS, the optics, a Samson tool kit in the grip and a factory Colt 5.56 conversion kit (which consists of a mag insert, spring and buffer to mount a normal AR15 upper).

Posts: 3167 | Location: Loudoun VA | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Nice. We can add that to the list of rifles Colt should bring back (assuming it wasn't already there).

Posts: 4457 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had one, as well as the 5.56 conversion, but got rid of it. It was OK as a 7.62, but just too heavy as a 5.56. Plus, the 5.56 magwell insert wasn’t tapered, so inserting the 5.56 mag might take a little effort because it could catch on the edge of the insert.

Posts: 3421 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
What is that sighting setup?

Posts: 28756 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had a 901 for about ten years. I was shopping for a Ruger SR762 at the time, but no one local had one (thank goodness). I couldn't be happier with my 901, and I don't intend to ever part with it. Mine has proven to be quite accurate, and it serves as my DMR. There is a photo of it and its accuracy potential on page 5 of the 10-shot group thread.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...858/m/2440079105/p/5

I was lucky enough to stumble into another one at a very good price, earlier this year. Considering the proprietary nature of the rifle (and the attractive price), I was surprisingly easily able to talk my wife into taking on the unexpected expense. Partly because I was able to pitch it as an investment Wink .

In the limited shooting I have done with the second rifle, it seems as though it is not as accurate an example as the first.

I will say that the rifle would not run with a conventional suppressor. A GB user had some carriers for sale for a while, and I bought one. I vented the spare carrier, and it has worked great.

Also, my guns seem to cook through gas rings a bit quicker than I would consider normal. This is with the silencer and vented carrier.

quote:
but just too heavy as a 5.56
It's just not possible for a conversion rifle to feel like a dedicated 5.56 rifle will. That said, the 901 actually does it better than most. With a barrel/bolt conversion rifle, you're still left with the entire large-frame receiver. The 901 allows you to actually shrink the top half of the rifle to proper 5.56 proportions. Not to mention the practicality of having optics and lasers already installed and zeroed on the 5.56 upper. At the end of the day, the "modular carbine" concept pros just don't outweigh the cons, IMO, so it's a wash. The 901 is a Colt AR10, and a very nice one. The modular functionality is a novelty.

An argument could likely be made that the 901 is a bit on the heavy side in general. Especially compared to some of the more contemporary AR10 rifles. Both of my rifles are picatinny models. In a perfect world, one of them would have the slimmer front end. I think that would help the weight and bulk a bit.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KSGM,

Posts: 2489 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
What is that sighting setup?

Eotech

Posts: 3167 | Location: Loudoun VA | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
Well done PGT. That is a nice setup.

Posts: 492 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
Nice stick! The 901's are hard to find, especially any of the 6.5cm uppers or guns themselves and I'm told they won't be making any 6.5cm's again, even with the recent release of the CM762 (Modular Carbine). I've held one of the new ones and they are significantly lighter as well.

With 7.62's, there's got to be a sweet spot between weight and recoil being acceptable. That's one reason why the heavy M14's are still a thing.

Posts: 843 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It sucks that the new CR762 doesn't use a monolithic receiver. There is a variant of the previously-produced 901 that has a slimmer handguard, which is also still monolithic. I'd like to have one of those guns.

Also, I think it'd be neat if they made some with a 1/10 twist.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
One would assume they decided not to pay LMT royalties on the new designs. I know that was the case on the 5.56 monolithic uppers

posted Hide Post
Yeah. It's a shame. That makes the rifle less special, IMO.