SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Anyone using PSA AK-V mags in their Scorpion?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone using PSA AK-V mags in their Scorpion? Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted
I picked up three of them and just received them the other day. 35 round mags for $16 a piece is a good deal for quality mags. The fit is pretty tight and they certainly do not drop free. Anyone know what the solution is? I'm thinking probably need to grind a little off the tab on the front of the mag? Just be good to know before I take the dremel to it. I have the stock mag release on it.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
With pmags being 19 bucks a pop I wouldn't unless I owned both, and even then I'd probably use the pmags for both instead of the akv mags. As much as I love PSA, their non-ar stuff seems to need a couple of generations to work out teething issues before grabbing a reliable one.

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMHO, the PSA mags are the best scorpion magazines for a couple of reasons. They have metal reinforced feed lips and run reliably. I only had the tight fitting issue on one of magazines and unfortunately do not have this fix as it was put in the second tier mag bin.

Posts: 442 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There were a number of reports of problems with Scorpion Pmags when they first came out, although that seems to calmed down, so maybe they’ve been tweaked. The PSA mags are great. They had a first Gen version that worked fine in the Scorpion and dropped free, but not so good in the AK-V. The Gen 2 mags were modified to work better in the AK-V, but they are the ones that don’t drop free in the Scorpion anymore, although they work fine otherwise.

I got some of the Gen 1 PSA mags, that were later marked for use in the Scorpion only, when PSA were blowing them out. They are my favorite mags for use in the Scorpion. I’ve also used the Magpul mags, and the ones I got work fine, and the Gen 2 PSAs, which also work fine, except for not dropping free.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post