SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Down the 10-22 Rabbit hole I go…
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Down the 10-22 Rabbit hole I go… Login/Join 
Page late and a dollar short
posted
Couldn’t say no the other day, a 1992 production birch stock model came in, only flaw it has are a couple of nicks in the plastic buttplate. Has a Simmons scope mounted on it, bluing while not perfect very good.

Customer came into the shop selling to sell this and several other guns.

One of the added benefits to in retirement. Off to the range tonight.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8110 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
And thus begins the story of how shovelhead spent his next $6,112 trying out various motifications and trying new things with his 10-22 he couldn't say "no" to.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
And thus begins the story of how shovelhead spent his next $6,112 trying out various motifications and trying new things with his 10-22 he couldn't say "no" to.

Oh, I should introduce you my last “bargain” AR assembly based on a “free” Anderson lower.

————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8110 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AR's do not hold a candle to the 10-22 ways to spend money. The individual AR parts are more so you think more, the 10-22 ones you just order. Ask me how I know that...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11004 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not to help you spend your money, but Volquartsen has their entire 10/22 action kit on sale on their clearance page at the moment or at least as of a couple days ago. Like $85 for all the fire control parts for around a 2.5lb trigger. I've been told just replacing the hammer makes a significant difference, but for the $ I'd probably just do the whole kit.
Green mountain barrels are good, in my sample size of one.
There is a kit to recreate a Thompson m1 style build, as well as many other chassis if you're inclined.
Sampson Manufacturing does a 10/22 version of the mini 14 folding stock in both blue and stainless but it's pricey.
I inherited my first one and paid dearly for the six siblings it has right now. The mk series are just as bad as I'm waiting on my first mkiv right now.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2741 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the 'KIDD'... Wink

https://www.kiddinnovativedesign.com/

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8909 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I’m going to give this one some time before I get into this world.

Didn’t get a chance to shoot it last night, only took out the Glock 44 (oops, forgot to mention that, also part of the trade in) and getting familiar with that one first. One of the S-I-L’s just ordered a Timney trigger for his, haven’t decided how far along I’ll go with this one. Spent the evening finding POI, adjusting sights and seeing witness marks on the side of the trigger that may need to be smoothed out as a first step. Already one of my coworkers are suggesting threaded barrels to fit a future suppressor purchase.

Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
Yeah, I’m going to give this one some time before I get into this world.

[H]aven’t decided how far along I’ll go with this one.

Right, you're not fooling anyone with that talk. Just lean back and enjoy the ride.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A 10/22 takedown is one of my next projects.

While Loswsmith's comment is probably 99.9% true, and the $6112 is a little on the low end, I've done some research, and also crunched some numbers.

Your best bet is to buy another butt plate and call it a day.

It's cheaper if you just build one from scratch, aaaannnddd you don't have all of your original parts laying around. Then what do,you do? You assemble all the original parts you had, and find out you're back to your original gun.

I was about to go down the rabbit hole about a year ago with a $100 10/22, until a friend warned me about his expensive journey. Wink

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8351 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, big expenditure today was a factory 10 round magazine. Probably will get a coupe of Ruger 25 round magazines as it only came with one aftermarket 25 round magazine.

On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
CDNN has the 10 round mags on sale for $40 for a 3-pack.
https://www.cdnnsports.com/rug...-3-pack-factory.html

Posts: 4129 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and welcome to Wonderland. I'm sure you realize there is no end to the madness.

Form 1 Ruger 10/22 SBR w/ SilencerCo Sparrow, Leupold 3-9x33 EFR glass & all available Kidd aftermarket goodies.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
CDNN has the 10 round mags on sale for $40 for a 3-pack.
https://www.cdnnsports.com/rug...-3-pack-factory.html

...or save $4 if you don't need the packaging. These guys are GTG.

https://sapoutfitters.com/prod...gazine-value-3-pack/

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For only two or three days a week in an “adult toy shop” I find myself returning my pay often….

posted Hide Post
Well last night was a range night. Despite the gun being dirty it performed pretty well but did have two FTE’s.

I did have some problem releasing the bolt when it was locked back but pretty sure is related to the crud inside the gun. Looking at the Volquartsen Automatic Bolt Release for around twelve dollars, seems like a good idea and simplifies the locked back bolt releasing.

Now collecting magazines, Saturday got the 10 round one and today picked up two 25 rounds.

Hey, things were a bit slow today at work, only sold two guns and performed one transfer, had to keep myself occupied, right?

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
The automatic bolt release, whether from Volquartsen or Kidd, is cheap and indispensable. It's like getting a free bag from your local dealer.
By the time I'm finished messing around, I would have been better off just going to Kidd for the top-of-the-line rifle with bedded stock.
For now, I'm going to replace the Magpul Hunter with a Ruth-AR 10/22 stock for better adjustability of LOP and cheek piece.
Last year when I went to Appleseed I couldn't get a good cheek weld in the prone position.

Posts: 18070 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are multiple YouTube videos about how to do the auto bolt release mod yourself. There's only a small piece of metal to remove in one spot.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=...Bib2x0IHJlbGVhc2U%3D

Now if you'd prefer to buy a part from someone reputable or if their piece is extended or otherwise enhances function, that's understandable. This is just an easy way to save $12 otherwise. And I like to tinker with things, so there's that too.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2741 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regarding the bolt lock back and release, another option is to sit with the empty gun while hanging out, and lock it back then release it a few hundred times. Like any other gun manipulation skill, once you know how to do it and get some reps in, it isn’t too bad.

Posts: 3293 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well if anybody is interested in an update, here it is.

Externally this rifle looked good but it was pretty gunked up inside but I knew this going into and then got out the Ballistol and q-tips. Got a lot of it out but I’ll spray it again during daylight as I started about midnight outside with the Gun Scrubber.

The release is now working easier. I don’t think the previous owner ever cleaned this gun but just wiped it down externally.

On the fence with the scope, a Simmons 10-22. The ocular housing threads have remnants of what appears to be blue Loctite on it. But so far it seems to work ok so I’ll use it for awhile then make a decision whether or not to keep it on there.

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
Congratulations and welcome to Wonderland. I'm sure you realize there is no end to the madness.

Form 1 Ruger 10/22 SBR w/ SilencerCo Sparrow, Leupold 3-9x33 EFR glass & all available Kidd aftermarket goodies.

Oof. If only I could have suppressors. We're all Mad here..

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post