SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Who Makes a Good 5 or 10 Round AR Mag
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who Makes a Good 5 or 10 Round AR Mag Login/Join 
posted
I need 5 round magazines for hunting with my AR's.

Bought a couple of Thermold ones and they were junk. Wouldn't feed, and when loading the 5th round the whole stack would come shooting out sometimes.

I also want them for shooting off the bench, so a 10 rounder would do, I'll just make a plug for them.

Anyone have any they have found to be reliable?

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I use the Magpul 10-round magazines frequently and never had any problems—even with 300 Blackout ammunition.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
AZ used to have that dumb law. What I did was take a couple of Colt 8 rdrs and put 3 wood dowels about the same thickness of a 556 rd in the bottom under the spring. Viola, 5 rd mags.

Stag has them: here Pricey!

JG also has some here

And gunmagwarehouse has a listing here

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I use the Magpul 10-round magazines frequently and never had any problems

Same here -- but have used them only with 223 ammo.

I often use the 10-round Magpuls when I want to shoot an AR-15 like a precision rifle -- slow rate of fire, attempting to hit each steel target with only one round.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
FWIW, Brownells has their house brand mags on sale.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I use the Magpul 10-round magazines frequently and never had any problems—even with 300 Blackout ammunition.

Same here; I've used the 10 rounds with 5 round Magpul limiters and they work well in my 5.56 bolt gun.

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another good experience with Magpul 10s.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I have Lancers and Magpul's. Some 10's. some blocked to 5 for hunting. I prefer the Lancers (just ordered two more last night int fact)

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the Magpul 10 round mags as well. I have an old Colt 10 round that looks like it's been through three wars, but it still works like new.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with Lancers.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Magpul 10 round on the bench. They fall free and can be inserted without twisting the rifle on the bipod. The 20s Arent bad either. I see guys struggling with 30s on the bench while shooting 5 round strings of fire. I usually let them borrow a 10 rounder. They soon order a couple of them.

I thought somebody made a follower that would make a 5 rounder out of a ten. Maybe I am mistaken.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Bushmaster?

I bought two 5- rounders back in the early 2000s direct from the factory. They have worked great.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
The Lancer 10 rounders work great.

Posts: 1215 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I have quite a few Magpul 10 rounders that work just fine, and 1 Surefeed 10 rounder it has also been flawless.

The 10 rounders work great while on the bench.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
the only mags I have that aren't 30+ rounders are Lancers. theyre great mags, but a bit more money than the magpul.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
Promag SUCKS!!!

I use Magpul or Lancer

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Just order some Lancers or Pmags and be done with it. Wink

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have the Magupl 10 round mag for use on the bench, and I like it. Much more convenient than a 30 for working on zeroing and accuracy practice from a bag.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
FWIW, Brownells' had some options on sale yesterday.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Lancer. Mine are 20s, but very happy with them.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post