SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    GOT IT — Primary Arms 1X Compact Prism Scope with ACSS Cyclops Reticle, Black PAC1X-ACSS-CYCLOPS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GOT IT — Primary Arms 1X Compact Prism Scope with ACSS Cyclops Reticle, Black PAC1X-ACSS-CYCLOPS Login/Join 
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted
I am looking at this scope, comparing to an Aimpoint PRO (I own neither):

On paper, the advantages of the PAC1x are:

- etched reticle, visible as black (no power) or red (powered)
- decent battery life, 3k hours on medium
- large exit pupil
- works with astigmatism
- waterproof
- CYCLOPS reticle is intuitive, with horseshoe/chevron
- diopter adjustment to sharpen reticle
- lifetime warranty
- absolute co-witness
- 60% the cost of a PRO.

Intended uses are home defense out to 100-150 yds, .223/5.56

This message has been edited. Last edited by: striker1,

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I haven't use that particular one. But I think I have x3 total of their optics. The RDS on my SBR AR I've beat pretty hard.

All have held up well. I say go for it.

Only draw back I see is the 4 month life span on the illumination. VS some of the 50K hour RDS they make.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I don't know how well a bds works on 1x but the Vortex Spitfire 1x looked pretty cool to me when i played with one.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I don't have that specific optic, but I have one of their 2.5x prismatics with the older ACSS-CQB reticle (the Koala of Death) that I like a lot. I've been impressed with all of the Primary Arms optics I've owned, for the price. I currently have about a half dozen of their micro red dots on various range toys.

Note that even with it being 1x, you realistically won't be cowitnessing iron sights with a prismatic optic. It's not a red dot, with infinite eye relief and a collimated reticle. It's more like a small and very low power traditional rifle scope, with an adjustable focus and limited eye relief.

Even though you can see the irons through the prismatic optic, the view will be distorted, the irons won't be in focus, and their POI will shift. So you won't be able to use the irons well.

But that's not really an issue, because with an etched reticle, you don't have to worry about the optic going down if the battery runs out or the electrical system quits. So you shouldn't need irons unless something severely damages the optic to the point where the reticle is smashed, in which case you'll likely be ripping the optic off the rifle and can switch to just backup irons then.

The reference to "Absolute Cowitness" likely is just meant to give a frame of reference for the height of the prismatic optic's mount. Not that it can realistically be used with cowitnessed iron sights.

Posts: 32503 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I picked it up. Got it dialed in this afternoon. I have a Daniel Defense fixed rear 1.5 on this particular rifle and was a little concerned about the co-witness. Turns out, not an issue.

With the power off, and the diopter ring dialed in, the etched reticle is sharp black, the horseshoe nicely “wraps over” and almost enhances the front sight, no distortion. With power on at a low-medium setting, the front sight is still visible but sort of fades as your eye is drawn to the illuminated reticle. I used the large aperture on the rear sight. I found no issues with absolute co-witness.

As someone with aging eyes, I found it very easy to hit the center third of a 12” plate at ~70-80 yards.

So far it’s a winner.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The issue for me on all the wannabe aimpoint substitutes is that aimpoint has a well earned reputation for toughness, gained over many, many years in real life combat situations. Only a couple of other optics have that and this isn't one of them. If you don't care about that have fun. If you seriously mean self defense then I wonder what gives anyone comfort about the durability of these alternatives.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I was going to get an Aimpoint PRO, but had trouble with the blurred dot.

Not every new product can and will be battle-proven. I did a little research and many of the PA products have been well received and in some cases harshly tested for ruggedness.

I’m pleased with it. I won’t be going into combat or operating any time soon. If it has a problem PA will fix or replace it.

RB

posted Hide Post
The real advantage of an Aimpoint in a HD scenario IMHO is twofold: #1 you pick it up and the illuminated dot is already there, nothing to push and the battery life is numbered in years. #2, very forgiving of head position since it is not a prismatic scope. If you can see the dot, good to go. I expect my shooting position in the middle of the night in close quarters won't be like on the range.

I dig PA products and own I think 3 of them, an entry level RDS and two of their more advanced MD-ADS models.

Do you have a weapon mounted light? Try it out at night and see if you can quickly acquire the etched reticle triggering the light. You may not have a chance to turn it on, or with only 3k battery life it may be dead. Of course, the irons will be there and visible with the light as well.

It is a good setup, just make sure to try it in realistic conditions.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post