SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Are Ruger AR-15's Any Good?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are Ruger AR-15's Any Good? Login/Join 
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I've got one, and so do 5 other members of my weekly shooting group.

Not one of us has ever had the slightest problems with them.

And yes, they're accurate, or to put it more plainly, they're as accurate as the M16s we had when I was in the Army.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I’ve been very pleased with my Ruger AR 556…it’s the only complete factory built AR I own (all my other ARs are home built…I prefer mid-length gas)…it’s accurate enough for my needs and it reliably feeds every thing I put in it…I’m thinking 3500 (give or take) rounds with a bunch being Russian steel cased stuff.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Meh. Only rifles that's been worse by percentage of defects have been Colts.

We've sold a decent amount of them; over the years we've sent six or seven back, most on behalf of customers but also one that was defective right out of the box, originally intended for our display shelf. Numbers-wise, four were the basic AR-556 8500 model, including two for one customer (bought on the same day during a Black Friday sale several years ago -- defective upper receivers). The other 8500s involved a defective trigger and a bad bolt catch on one and something out of spec with the bolt (I guess; the entire BCG was replaced) on the other.

Of the others, one was one of their free-float models (d/n the exact model); the handguard left the factory with finish damage that was hard not to notice. I think there was also another AR556 that got sent back at a time when I was on vacation, but the details on that one I either never knew or have forgotten. The last one that I'm aware of goes a long ways back to their original piston AR SR-556, where it apparently wasn't cycling properly with most ammo. Don't know what was exactly wrong with that rifle (improper gassing?), since the customer was sent a NEW rifle to replace the defective one and was not offered any explanation as to what the problem was with the bad one. I also recall a customer complaining about his SR-556 takedown having problems years ago, but that could have easily been on him rather than the rifle since I remember him being something of a noob at the time.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Well after watching Hickok45's YT video and reading lots of good reviews, I decided to get the basic Ruger Model 8500 AR-556, it's on its way to me now.

Also got a case of 5.56mm for it

Looking forward to my first AR!

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looking forward to my first AR!

That looks strangely familiar …

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the sickness. I started with one and they have multiplied. I’d be embarrassed to say how many I have now.

The Ruger is decent for the price. I prefer the Smith in the same price range but Ruger makes a fine gun.

Get a chamber brush (the most important thing to clean in my opinion) and a bunch of mags. Magpul gen 3 are very good. For aluminum buy Okay brand mags.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
I bought a very early SR556 when they first came out. @ 100 yards was horrible. 8moa groups using 69 grain FGMM'S. Sent it back to Ruger. They reface the entire upper and for what ever reason the safety. Once I got it back it consistently shot 5 shot 100yard groups under 1 moa. I'll put my problems down to teething problems since it was a very early SR556.NO PROBLEMS SINCE THEN.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
I bought a Ruger AR556 several years ago from a buddy of mine. He bought it new and had some issues with it, so sent it back to Ruger. They replaced the bolt and returned it. My buddy never shot it after repair so I gave him $400.00 for it in nearly new condition.

Since then I have put a crap-load of ammo downrange with it without the slightest hiccup. I also added an aluminum quad rail up front, bipod, weapon light, and a red dot reflex sight co-witnessed with my irons. For WAY under $1,000.00, I have a very reliable AR with all the options I have any interest in! Yes, a new one is going to cost you a good bit more than $400.00 now, but still well within your budget, even if you added a bunch of stuff like I did.

Cheers!

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 4550 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post