SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Best place to get an upper in .300
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best place to get an upper in .300 Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
I have a Ruger AR556 and I want to get a .300blk upper for it. Where is a good place to look? Better makes or models?

It will be suppressed so I want a threaded barrel

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10752 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post

Posts: 27447 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Thanks... One question.. why does a 16 inch barrel upper say its "pistol length"

Posts: 10752 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Refers to the gas system. Pistol length, carbine length and mid-length, etc...

I know nothing about the caliber. I suppose they're all built on the pistol-length gas system?

Q

Posts: 27447 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I am still ignorant to the AR platform, trying to learn.

I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Might also check out AIM Surplus. They carry several Aero Precision uppers and lowers at good prices. I've bought several complete lowers from them.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6127 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Yep 300BLK uses pistol length gas systems almost universally.

The default buffer is standard carbine also, go heavier if you are over gassed, but that shouldn't happen with 300.

I really like everything I've bought from Aero Precision.

Posts: 5224 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shop Arm or Ally. They sell Aero Precision and have a great selection. I think the AP is a little better than PSA, but PSA is usually cheaper.

https://www.armorally.com/prod...ar15-complete-upper/

Posts: 1130 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
I’ve got one from PSA. Haven’t put many rounds through it but it’s been good. Mine’s an 8” barrel. It works well with regular ammo and subs.

Posts: 1527 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
Whichever manufacturer you land on try and get one with an adjustable gas block.

It can be helpful in case you end up over gassed.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4851 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
why does a 16 inch barrel upper say its "pistol length"

Carbine or mid-length gas systems work for supersonic loads with a 16 inch barrel. But if the owner tries subsonic rounds in such a barrel, there's a good chance there won't be enough gas to cycle.

Pistol length gas systems will cycle subsonic rounds in pretty much any barrel length. A pistol length system in a 16 inch barrel results in over gassing for a supersonic round, but the round will still cycle. I suspect many shooters just deal with the over gassing.

I have an 11 inch barrel with pistol length gas. My 300 blk is a little over gassed with supersonic loads, which is what I mainly shoot. I have a heavier buffer, and have no real issues.

Posts: 7984 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post