SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Need Help Picking an AR-15 Handguard Length
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Help Picking an AR-15 Handguard Length Login/Join 
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted
I have a R2 Resonator in jail and want to swap out handguards for something slimmer/lighter than the quad rail. The quad rail is 7" long. I'm looking at 7.5"-8.25" rails. Any suggestions? I've toyed with BCM and STINGR so far.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7118 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
I've got a 13" BCM MCMR, nice and trim, but feels stout to me.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3639 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Thanks jcsabolt2!

To be more specific, I'm wondering how long of a rail I ran run without getting into issues firing unsuppressed. Can I run a 9" or will that be an issue? Should be do 8" and give some room and the end?

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7118 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
What is your barrel length? Sorry if I missed it.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12948 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
Rails are almost always given a nominal measurement, like 7", that doesn't correspond to the actual length.

If you're looking for as long of a rail as you can manage, you'd need to go about 3/4" shorter than the barrel. There is 5/8" of thread, and you need to be able to put a wrench on the muzzle device.

BCM makes a good rail for the price. It is one of the slimmest designs, while having MLOK on every facet makes it one of the more versatile in terms of accessory locations.

The MCMR-7 measures 7.39" at the forward most part of the rail, which are the "flares" where the rail extends at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. On an 8.5" barrel you'd have a little under 1/2" from the rear of the muzzle device to the forward most rail.

Posts: 6035 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRL:
What is your barrel length? Sorry if I missed it.

8.5"

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
Depending on how you're going to mount the suppressor you might want a little wiggle room. I have to struggle on one of my builds to get the RC2 off because I only left about 3/8 inch from the handguard to the warcomp. So getting a good grip on the ratchet device for the rc2 sucks on that gun. I'm too lazy to swap it for a shorter rail or longer barrel so I don't shoot it suppressed too often.

Just a heads up to research your mount device and how the suppressor mounts to it. It's not hard to find the info you need to set it up in a way that works for you.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4805 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Ended up going with the STNGR 8.25" rail. They confirmed it would work on my barrel. Going to put it on this weekend now that I have a vice block.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
Post some pics when you get that installed. That’s a good looking hand guard.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12948 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post