SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Rethinking the Ruger Gunsite Scout
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rethinking the Ruger Gunsite Scout Login/Join 
posted
Several years ago I bought a left-handed 16" Ruger Gunsite Scout in matte black with the gray laminated stock.

It's my only .308 but the appeal of mag-fed AICS pattern bolt action with an adjustable stock (spacers) and good iron sights is something no one else made left-handed at the time, and sill options are very limited now.

But I never figured out how to scope it. Scout scopes are usually lower power, not easy to get, and the forward mounting affects balance. I wanted a Leupold 1.5-6 Firedot but put it off until they stopped making them. I heard that they did not have enough eye relief for a scout mount so I'm glad I didn't get one. And I heard complaints about glare off occular lenses on scout scopes rendering them useless. Aimpoint was an option but then it's zero magnification

So I wanted to keep the iron sights, but have magnification so that means a QD mount of some sort. Maybe the elongated rail from XS sights with the integrated rear peep sight that allows the scope to go anywhere. But it's taller and may require higher rings to clear the extended rail. And an integrated QD mount would be higher still so I need QD individual rings. All for iron sights that are becoming more useless now that I need progressive lenses.

Then as I was completing an AR SPR build and deciding between a 1-8x and a 2.5-10x and it hit me. I am unlikely to ever bother to zero much less use BUIS once a magnified optic is mounted. Yes I have QD mounts (Scalarworks) on the AR's that can hold zero but I just don't see myself taking off the scope at the range to zero the irons. And for a robust magnified optic the likelihood of a failure that would required me to remove the scope and use irons is very unlikely. All of those new "precision rifles" that they don't make left handed (except Tikka) don't have BUIS, nor do the 20" heavy barrel "sniper .308's" I really wanted that also weren't available left-handed.

So I removed the Magpul Pro BUIS off the magnified optics uppers, kept them on all red-dot uppers (one with 3x mag in swing mount) and freed up sets for the MPX and MCX Rattler since they had none yet.

I pulled the rear sight off the Ruger, bought some 30mm medium Ruger rings for direct to receiver mounting and put a Primary Arms SLx 1-8x FFP on it. Since this is a straight tube 24mm objective, the lens cap surround is about 1/8" above the scout rail. Nice and low.

NOW we have something. 1x power both eyes open red dot for speed, and you can see the front sight clearly which is strange to me. 8x for distance. Drop compensation for .308 in the reticle. This is the "do anything" rifle now. But it's not a scope for dialing in ranges on the turrets, it's all in the reticle. The PA GLx 2.5-10x on the SPR has zero stops and better glass and "fits" the SPR concept better.

I will say that 1-4x LPV to me isn't any better than an Aimpoint + 3x mag, and worse when it comes to eye relief and head position. The 1-6x starts to swing the advantage to the LPV and 1-8x is a. 1-10x would be perfect if possible, but might need a 34 or 35 mm tube.

So far I think Primary Arms is really getting a lot of this stuff right compared to many other scope companies. Nightforce 1-8x's are great but $2-$3K. And if you want Japanese glass and build, the PA PLx line is still quite reasonable. Hopefully they perform well when I zero them.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I was never satisfied with a forward mounted scout scope. I had a fixed Burris 2.75x on mine. You're right about balance. I ended up taking it off. I got some 30mm Warne QD rings and put a Burris MTAC on it. I felt it was a more useful rifle with a scope in a traditional location.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
I was never satisfied with a forward mounted scout scope. I had a fixed Burris 2.75x on mine. You're right about balance. I ended up taking it off. I got some 30mm Warne QD rings and put a Burris MTAC on it. I felt it was a more useful rifle with a scope in a traditional location.

What mount did you use with the QD rings?

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
The Warne QD rings attach directly to the integral scope bases on the receiver. I think mine were low or medium height. The M77/Hawkeye/GSR use the same rings.

https://warnescopemounts.com/p...qd-high-matte-rings/

Just checked, they were medium height. I still have them, but don't have the rifle anymore.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Warne QD rings attach directly to the integral scope bases on the receiver. I think mine were low or medium height. The M77/Hawkeye/GSR use the same rings.

Just checked, they were medium height. I still have them, but don't have the rifle anymore.

Cool, those are exactly like some Tac-Sol ones I had on a 10/22 build.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
Cool, those are exactly like some Tac-Sol ones I had on a 10/22 build.

But due to the design of Ruger Rings and the recoil lug positions, the levers will be on the "wrong" side for me. Warne regulars should be good though.

Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
The non-QD will work fine. Unlike Redfield style rings, they are easily removed if you want to remove them. You'll just have to realign the reticle and possibly re-zero if you take it off and put it back on.

But with respect to the levers being on the wrong side. Just be aware that once the rings are tightened down using the levers, you can pull the lever out and position it wherever you want. I used Warne QD on a couple of rifles presently and once I'm done tightening them, I position the levers so they are straight up. They hold zero and they are secure enough even on a thumping .45-70.

posted Hide Post
quote:

NOW we have something. 1x power both eyes open red dot for speed, and you can see the front sight clearly which is strange to me. 8x for distance. Drop compensation for .308 in the reticle. This is the "do anything" rifle now. But it's not a scope for dialing in ranges on the turrets, it's all in the reticle. The PA GLx 2.5-10x on the SPR has zero stops and better glass and "fits" the SPR concept better.

Agree 100% The Scout Scope Concept was invented before todays low magnification variables existed. The few advantages in rare situations of Scout Scopes are now far outweighed by their disadvantages. Low Powered variables are just FAR more useful, especially illuminated ones.

That being said forward mounted scopes are an itch that sometimes just has to be scratched. People have to try them for themselves and most end up figuring out what you mentioned here. My one suggestion on Scout rifle buyers is to keep your options open to where there is at least the future ability to mount a traditional scope and you'll be glad you did. :-)

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
quote:

Agree 100% The Scout Scope Concept was invented before todays low magnification variables existed. The few advantages in rare situations of Scout Scopes are now far outweighed by their disadvantages. Low Powered variables are just FAR more useful, especially illuminated ones.

That being said forward mounted scopes are an itch that sometimes just has to be scratched. People have to try them for themselves and most end up figuring out what you mentioned here. My one suggestion on Scout rifle buyers is to keep your options open to where there is at least the future ability to mount a traditional scope and you'll be glad you did. :-)

Interestingly, I can still put a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot on the scout rail in front of the 1-8x and the scope works like a magnifier. So with the right height scope mount, you don't *need* illumination.

posted Hide Post
And now that I just realized I have a 1-8x variable with 3-3.5" eye relief on a .308 bolt gun I'm thinking a muzzle brake might be a good idea instead of the goofy Ruger flash hider.

And good ideas?

Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is another option that lets you use any Weaver style ring you choose.

https://www.xssights.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=993608

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
And now that I just realized I have a 1-8x variable with 3-3.5" eye relief on a .308 bolt gun I'm thinking a muzzle brake might be a good idea instead of the goofy Ruger flash hider.

And good ideas?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2545430842
The Nordic Corvette brake is my all-time favorite. Good luck finding one, though.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To be fair, Cooper never said a Scout rifle had to have a Scout scope. Any handy accurate carbine in an easy to acquire hunting capable caliber met the basic spec. As for scopes I think the main idea was derived from safari hunting or other field use, the need to keep both eyes open while aiming. Otherwise he felt that the ideal scout was a very personal choice, for him the biggest deal was making weight. He wrote that a Win 94 30-30 made for a good Scout rifle.

btw, I also have a left hand Ruger GSR. I have a Leupold Scout scope on it, mostly for the novelty. It works, but my RARs and MVPs have Nikon 2-7 scopes for handyness. I consider those 100-200 yard rifles so no fancy reticles for them.

Posts: 314 | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k:
btw, I also have a left hand Ruger GSR. I have a Leupold Scout scope on it, mostly for the novelty. It works, but my RARs and MVPs have Nikon 2-7 scopes for handyness. I consider those 100-200 yard rifles so no fancy reticles for them.

I had the 1-8x scope as an option for an SPR AR build, but the overriding factor was true 1x both eyes open, and good higher end power. The P.A. ACSS reticle is actually pretty simple with a central Chevron and drop points out to 600 yards - averaged to 5.56 and .308.

With the lower and lighter Leupold rings it's still handy and doesn't need a cheek riser as it would if I used the full length XS rail and 1913 rings.