SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Scar 16S APC223 or HK556
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scar 16S APC223 or HK556 Login/Join 
Picture of Accomplice
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
I guess I’m a MCX luddite. I still have my original MCX with the Kate Moss stock and it runs just fine. I sent it in for the bolt carrier recall, put in a Geissele MCX trigger, and put on a MI Mlok handguard. The only thing I don’t care for is that the gas block is behind the front edge of the top rail, and that makes getting the gas plug in and out for cleaning a bit more difficult than it should be.

Did the aftermarket hand guard increase weight? I love how light the front end of the factory legacy MCX is.

Roswell Crash - July, 1947, CIA Formed - Sept, 1947

Posts: 1951 | Registered: September 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Accomplice:
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
I guess I’m a MCX luddite. I still have my original MCX with the Kate Moss stock and it runs just fine. I sent it in for the bolt carrier recall, put in a Geissele MCX trigger, and put on a MI Mlok handguard. The only thing I don’t care for is that the gas block is behind the front edge of the top rail, and that makes getting the gas plug in and out for cleaning a bit more difficult than it should be.

Did the aftermarket hand guard increase weight? I love how light the front end of the factory legacy MCX is.

I don’t remember since it was so long ago that I swapped them out. I don’t remember noticing a weight difference and never weighed them.

Posts: 3382 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once I bought my APC308s and APC223s, I sold all my SCARs. So much easier to work with, none of SCAR issues and stock rattle

Posts: 146 | Registered: August 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And of course we have the opposite in the history of this thread where the APC was deemed a dog.
Myself I love B&T stuff for the most part, but there is not a chance that I love an APC223 more than a SCAR. But that's just me.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11093 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reganhouse
posted Hide Post
I have a legacy MCX and a SCAR 16S. I shoot both with and without a suppressor and I would have no problem grabbing either one in an emergency.

However, in support of what Accomplice has said, I have to admit that the MCX is a well-balanced, very reliable and accurate rifle. With the necessary spares, it will serve one well in a WROL situation. As demonstrated by its record at Battlefield Las Vegas, the SCAR is extremely durable.

That said, I have a stable of ARs-mostly Colts and BCMs with a few other types sprinkled in. I enjoy them all.

I can get you a toe

Posts: 167 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: October 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
And of course we have the opposite in the history of this thread where the APC was deemed a dog.
Myself I love B&T stuff for the most part, but there is not a chance that I love an APC223 more than a SCAR. But that's just me.

If you’re referencing my feedback on the APC, I did not say it was a dog. It’s reliable and has the robust B&T workmanship we love. It’s just awkward to hold and ill-balanced (mine has 12” barrel). Not a shooters rifle. I can provide a variety of examples (bolt release is still obscenely stiff), but suffice to say frustrations encountered on a range will magnify during a course.

And in fairness I did need an added rail extension to make the SCAR practical. Who can explain the European fetish of long exposed barrels? Whatever weight savings or cooling gained is obviated by the first transition where 6” of heated barrel touches you anywhere. It’s distracting to say the least.

Someone could aftermarket the APC223 to perfection. For example, I might feel differently if the 12” barrel came with an MLOK only foreend the length of the 16” barrel offering.

Posts: 2428 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Accomplice
posted Hide Post
In the process of migrating my collection toward the legacy MCX, I’ve sold an 8” Galil ace, P556xi, ARX100 and bought two more MCX rifles with the Kate Moss stock and two 11” legacy MCX pistols.

My favorite gun shop gave me an acceptable trade (unfired Bren 8” pistol and $800 worth / 2k rds. of brass cased ammo) for my AP5 and 13” Galil Ace. I’ll sell a few more off to pick up one more used MCX legacy. The end goal is to have 5 rifles and 5 pistols (all legacy MCX or Bren 2). The biggest obstacle is how cheap I am. Since I scored my first legacy MCX for $1,155 shipped, it’s killing me to go to $1,500 shipped to pick up the rest. Ha ha.

My light feeling / best balanced guns….

With cheap red dots & risers, BUIS, QD sling loops and no mags:

8” Bren 6 lbs 1.4 oz
11” MCX 6 lbs 4.8 oz (not the one with the Eotech)
11” Bren 6 lbs 7.2 oz
16” MCX Legacy 7 lbs 3.4 oz
16” Bren 7 lbs 13.4 oz

Interesting anecdote, the balance point is way more impactful on the feeling of weight vs the gross overall weight. I weighed my 13.7 inch JAKL rifle that feels insanely heavy and found that it was within a couple of ounces of the noticeably lighter feeling 16 inch Bren 2. The big difference is the balance point. The JAKL, configured similarly, is so front heavy that the balance point is about 2 cm in front of the mag well. The Bren 2 rifle’s balance point is only a little over a cm closer to the front wall of the mag well but it made a big difference on feel. The legacy MCX is the king of the well balanced feel and it’s balance point was the front wall of the magwell.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Accomplice,

Picture of Accomplice
posted Hide Post
I held the Sig Spear LT (16” 5.56) for the first time today and it’s impressive. I’m not sure if it’s quite as light and handy as the legacy MCX but the fit and finish were very nice. Because of the cost, I’ve avoided being tempted but after handling one, I caved to a used Spear LT rifle I found for $2k shipped. Hopefully this example is worth the big $.

Picture of Accomplice
posted Hide Post
Spear LT hit the collection today (now to sell 6 more of this line up to recoup some gun spend).

Picture of Accomplice
posted Hide Post
New video with most of my collection in it.

https://youtu.be/HIhBtlDHinc?feature=shared

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Accomplice,