SIGforum
22MAG semi-autos; looking for options

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/6900057134

October 14, 2017, 01:56 AM
soggy_spinout
22MAG semi-autos; looking for options
Was asked by a customer regarding various options and choices for a semi-auto rimfire chambered for 22 magnum. Off the top of my head I could only "thunk up" the CZ 512, Kel-Tech CMR-30 and Savage A22 Magnum, all rifles that our shop has sold previously. Later thanks to Google I came up with the Magnum Research Barracuda and Hogue Overmold models, and an Excel Arms Accelerator line, all of which I confess that I'm unfamiliar with.

Anyone have further suggestions on other 22WMR semi-auto rifles out in the wild? This customer wants NIB new production (it's a gift), so I'm afraid that older rifles like an unfired 10/22 Magnum (assuming that I could even find one for him to buy) can't be considered.
October 14, 2017, 03:40 AM
sourdough44
I think Volquartsen(sp) may make one.
October 14, 2017, 06:19 AM
Tailhook 84
HK 300 comes to mind, but it doesn't meet the NIB, new production criteria of your customer. Personally, I would be very pleased to receive a used HK 300 as a gift over anything that's been mentioned so far.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."
October 15, 2017, 08:24 AM
soggy_spinout
Thanks for the Volquartsen suggestion; they actually make eleven different models, though it looks like ten of those are built off of the same action. I will pass this info along.

I didn't know anything about the HK 300; had to read up on it on HKPro. Found a lone one on GB; a spendy bugger if that one is indicative of the current value. Priced higher than a pre-ban HK-91 currently on that auction site. It does sound like a neat rifle, but this customer is one who likes to be the first one to dirty up his guns, and I think he wants his son (the intended recipient) to carry on the tradition.
October 20, 2017, 01:07 AM
Lefty Sig
I saw a CZ 512 American .22 WMR today at a local shop. Very impressive fit and finish and light weight. Trigger wasn't too bad either - much better than a stock 10/22, but not nearly as good as a tuned aftermarket trigger.

I have left handed CZ 452's bolt actions in .22LR and .17HMR (only 2 available calibers in left hand 452's), and a TacSol 10/22 .22LR build (nothing Ruger except the magazines), but nothing in .22 WMR. Might be worth a try...
October 22, 2017, 10:02 PM
varoadking
Remington 597 in .22wmr in a variety of optional build specs. I will caution that the 8 round magazines will generally only hold 5 rounds, unless they have addressed that of late. The trigger is greatly improved with a Volquartsen hammer.