SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Picked up a new to me AK. Any way of figuring out when it was made?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picked up a new to me AK. Any way of figuring out when it was made? Login/Join 
posted
Picked this up over the weekend. It didn’t come with the box, but it did come with some extra mags and a bunch of ammo. Is there any way of figuring out when it was made?

Posts: 250 | Location: Southern, PA | Registered: July 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Should be 2009, first two digits on the trunnion.

Posts: 10039 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep. Also the 09 located under the Izhmash proof mark below that.

But note that this is a Saiga sporting rifle that Arsenal imported and then converted to AK configuration. Those markings are from the original sporting rifle's production and testing in 2009. But that conversion may or may not have been done in the same year as the original rifle was manufactured. It may have sat in a warehouse in Russia or Nevada for a year or more before being converted and sold by Arsenal.

Posts: 32992 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. My knowledge on these pretty minimal.

Posts: 250 | Location: Southern, PA | Registered: July 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
You chose well, quite the desired rifle. I have the same configuration, and convinced myself to enjoy it rather than leave it a safe queen.

Posts: 10039 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post