SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Suggestions for a new AR upper.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for a new AR upper. Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
I have ARs at different ends of the spectrum as far as their capability for high precision. A couple get used for relatively close distances (up to ~100 yards) and IDPA-sized targets. They have Aimpoint red dot sights that are adequate for the purposes. At the other end is a JP Precision that’s capable of routinely delivering sub-MOA groups with IMI 77 grain OTM ammunition.

I’m thinking I’d like something in between those two ends, but I don’t want to purchase an entirely new rifle. I’d like a higher quality complete upper that I could switch onto the Colt LE6920 lowers I have now.

(I know an option would be to get a receiver and install a good barrel myself, but I don’t want to do that.)

Suggestions?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47395 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
https://www.whiteoakarmament.c...ce-rifle-uppers.html

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6312 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
secure the Blessings of Liberty
Picture of rackrack
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1456 | Location: NC | Registered: February 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Don't know what you budget is. I would look at something like:

Spikes
Rock River
Cmmg
Aero

You can certainly spend more $ on

Colt
LMT
Noveske
DD

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19155 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm not too concerned about price, but see no reason to purchase something that would be more precise than I need for what I have in mind which is to marry up with a low powered variable.
I will check out the others, but the LaRue looks interesting.

And has been true for longer than I like to remember, some of the ones I have thought of all ready are ... yes: out of stock. Roll Eyes

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47395 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wilson Combat

Last week the two Protector models were 20%. No telling when Wilson will have another sale, but they seem to be more frequent now that factory capacity has increased.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the Wilson Combat link. I looked there earlier but for some reason couldn't find just the uppers.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Primary Arms has a decent selection in stock.
I was looking at the Midwest Industries offerings pretty hard.

Lots of choices out there, I went the PSA route with the FN 14.7" pin and welded barrel upper.
No BCG or charging handle but a Toolcraft one is $69 and I have a few charging handles.
Should be here tomorrow.

Posts: 1476 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
The upper isnt a major problem other than being instock.

The CARTRIDGE you might like to fool around with is the real choice. This may be my last rifle for now, I'm building something that won't see a lot of rounds thru it but will certainly get attention on both ends - a .375 SOCOM. It's a necked down .458, there is loaded ammo available from SBR, its a fun round to hand load.

Not much of a suggestion when there are't (m)any to be found.

Having already built a 6.8SPC tho, it's definitely a 50% increase in power over 5.56 and those are out there. Bison Armory is a start, search has many others. Get the SPC II spec (its now hard to find any other) and it's good to go. Originally designed as an upgrade for the 14.5" barrel and 16's are common.

6.5 Grendel is also available and still maintaining it's growth for longer range precision. It was originally a 6mm PCU upgrade for competition and it's popular, too.

BOTH have ammo on the shelf - my Attwoods had rounds in stock side by side in the normal premium pricing, there is no surplus. .375 Socom is usually close to $4 a round now, but you get what you pay for they say. A box mag of the 6's will hold 16 or so, 26 for the 30's, the .375 will hold 8-9 single stack only. No special mags for SOCOM rounds as that was a mandate from day one.

Food for thought, YMMV.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In considering an upper, I'd give a lot of attention to the upper/HG interface, and potential upper "enhancements". The BCM MK2, VLTOR MUR/VIS, Larue Stealth, monolithic units, etc. I am assuming you want free-float, and robust connections or monolithic designs offer the best performance, in terms of HG deflection relative to the upper itself and the barrel. If you have no intention of using a laser of any kind, it may not be a big deal for you. Whether you intend to consistently employ a silencer will certainly affect your choice as well. Of the Wilson Combat rifles I've seen, nothing has struck me as particularly special; I am sure they use quality components, and pay attention to detail in assembly, but nothing made me care to give them a serious look. Of the brands mentioned, I think Larue is worth a look. I haven't used one of their rifles, but their reputation precedes them. I have more than three or four mounts of theirs, and I think they're awesome. They seem to have very fair pricing as well, comparatively. I have had a SUURG kit of theirs on order for ten months now; that will be my first Larue rifle experience. Something else worth a look is the Colt 6940 series; you can find those uppers pretty regularly online, and that would make for a total Colt rifle as well.

Posts: 2129 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for those insights.
No lasers or suppressors planned.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
No lasers or suppressors planned.

If you've gone this far yet:
- What barrel length? And barrel profile. Looking for a light, medium, or heavy upper?
- Looking for great accuracy and a SS barrel, or a high-volume beater?
- Caliber? I just assumed 223, but there are options.
- I get the idea you're going with LPVO?

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Yes, the idea is for something to use with LPVO, 1-6×. I had that originally on the JP, but decided I wanted more long range capability with that rifle and it has a higher power optic now. Currently looking for something in between.
Wylde or 5.56mm; former would be better. No interest in other cartridges.
Low volume use, better than a factory Colt barrel for example, but “great” accuracy not necessary. Not looking for 1/2 MOA at 600 yards.
Length ~18" first thought, but flexible (≥ 16"; no SBR)
Medium weight

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
Perhaps consider one of the BCM KD4 or BCM Mk12 SPR uppers.

Posts: 2332 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Geissele Super Duty or URG.

I just build everything now. Currently using Aero no-forward-assist uppers, Criterion Hybrid barrels, and Geissele MK16 rails.

Criterion 18" rifle gas nitrided stainless barrel is a good option for an accurate but not too heavy barrel. Their chrome lined barrels are also very good.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Nothing against any mentioned, I have the assortment from discounted PSA stuff to custom mid-weight for prairie dogging.

One of my more recent is a 16” lightweight Upper from a WI company, Midwest Industries. It’s been great.

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
Last week the two Protector models were 20%.

Thanks (I believe Roll Eyes Wink ) for that tidbit. According to their site, the discount was actually 25% and when I realized what I was willing to pay for an upper alone, one went into the cart this morning.

All things considered I thought that was currently the best option. Another upper later? 6mm ARC? Perhaps.

And again, thanks for all the suggestions from everyone. Smile

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
one went into the cart this morning

I think it will do well for you. I'm not all that familiar with the Protector-profile barrel. I have a few fluted Recon-profile and one fluted Paul Howe profile. WC used to publish schematics of their barrels, unfortunately that stopped a few years ago. Your Protector seems to be comparable in weight to the Paul Howe, and a few ounces lighter than the Recon.

WC's 5.56 chamber may be close to a Wylde cut. My 5.56-chambered barrels shoot factory 223 ammo more accurately than comparable 5.56 ammo. It's not a true 223 match chamber, based on how some long/heavy bullets do better in true match chambers. Factory loads with Hornady's ELD-M and Sierra's TMK bullets come to mind.

A couple of my WC barrels have shown small brass flecks during the first 2 or 3 rounds of shoot-one-then-clean barrel break in. I assumed these were minor shavings of the case -- maybe a slightly rough spot in the chamber. Never got any indication of copper fouling in the bore on patches. Patches tend to show a fair amount of carbon fouling in the first 5-ish rounds, then it drops off. Often by 10 rounds there is almost no carbon fouling. I've found that muzzle velocity tends to stabilize by 40 to 50 rounds. I generally don't chrono loads until the barrels have 2 boxes of ammo through the barrels.

You've seen a few AR15 targets I've posted on the long distance thread. WC barrels shoot. From an accuracy standpoint, all of my WCs shoot accurately with loads of 55 Vmax, 55 Sierra Blitzking, 69 SMK, 77 SMK, 75 Hornady HPBT.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all that; definitely broadens my horizons pertaining to the guns.
It’s good to know about your experiences with different bullets. One reviewer about WC guns I read said that his didn’t like lighter bullets for some reason. It could have just been a comparison thing (“The best I can get with 55 grains is 1/2 MOA, but 75s are good for a quarter”), but it was something that caught my eye even though I tend to rely on heavier bullets for precision.

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Remember that many of the better manufacturers are months to who knows when out. For example, I want a LMT upper. That is not going to happen from what I can see unless I buy used. Spikes is about a year out last I checked.

I'm now thinking of trading my NIB Spikes upper plus a little cash, if needed, for a NIB LMT upper but things are hard to find; so I haven't even tried.

Posts: 12458 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post