SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    So I decided to shoot lefty
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I decided to shoot lefty Login/Join 
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted
I started shooting skeet last fall and l love it. I usually shoot 16-21 birds, but struggle with my mixed eye dominance issues. Tried closing my left eye, but that just makes you half blind. Tried closing it right before I pull the trigger, no joy. So I have spent the last 5 months shooting with a piece of tape strategically placed on my left lens to give me some peripheral vision, but keep my dominant left eye from seeing the bead.

This was the best fix I could find, but it’s aggravating as hell on the skeet field, and a down right handicap shooting sporting clays.

So today I decided to try shooting lefty. Some friends and I tried shooting 5 stand today for the second time. First round I shot right handed and hit 5 birds. Next round shot lefty and hit 15! The blind spot was gone, the double vision was gone, and I felt like I just went from looking at a 12” black and white to a 65” big screen!

It’s going to take a boat load of practice, but I’ve decided to commit to the change. I know it will be like starting over, but I think it will be worth it in the long run.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2226 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the dark side.

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Yeah I don’t know why anyone would try to force themselves to shoot cross dominant with a long gun.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3209 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm convinced my son should have been LH. My Dad was and both brothers are LH. Lots of it in the family. He's RH, but hits baseballs LH, rides skateboard like a LH (er footed), even writes like a lefty (which is very strange). So I made sure he shoots rifles like a lefty. He's emigrating to Israel to join the IDF, so we're getting in trigger time. He does shoot pistols RH, but with his head craned over.

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Knezz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick:

It’s going to take a boat load of practice, but I’ve decided to commit to the change. I know it will be like starting over, but I think it will be worth it in the long run.

I'm in the same boat. My cross eye dominance is ok with handguns but not with a rifle. I haven't shot a rifle in 30+ years. I didn't have the cross eye dominance issue when I was firing the M16 decades ago. I guess my later years produced a change.

I am so reluctant to switch to left hand rifle shooting but I don't believe I have a choice. My right eye is much weaker than my left. If I attempted to change my eye dominance, I don't think it would work well for my vision (any Ophthalmologist please chime in).

How are you making out with your attempt to change? Is it slow and frustrating or surprisingly easier than you thought? - This question is also for anyone else who made the change?

Attempting to shoot left-handed is so unnatual to me. I havent gone to the range yet but will attempt to shoot lefty next week.

Regards,
K. Nezz

=======================
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." *Gen. W. Thornson*

Posts: 3053 | Location: East Coast | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:

While either one requires training, some folks find that switching to the other hand/shoulder is easier than training their non-dominant eye.

I know a number of cross-eye dominant shooters who shoot opposite of their primary hand. (Some even shoot handguns on one side, and rifles with the other!)

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Knezz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

While either one requires training, some folks find that switching to the other hand/shoulder is easier than training their non-dominant eye.

I know a number of cross-eye dominant shooters who shoot opposite of their primary hand. (Some even shoot handguns on one side, and rifles with the other!)

I would prefer to try to train my non-dominant eye. My concern with training my non-dominant to be dominant is that it might be more of an issue because I see much farther with my dominate eye. Anyone have any insight or opinion on that?

Regards,
K. Nezz

=======================
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." *Gen. W. Thornson*

Posts: 3053 | Location: East Coast | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
What'd Steve Carlton ever do to you? Big Grin

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am one of those cross-dominant mutants that shoots rifle/shotgun with left hand due to being left dominant and pistol with the right hand nudged over to the left. Started that way as a youngin' with the toy guns and just seemed natural to me.

Posts: 977 | Location: Upstate South Carolina | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Welcome to my world,I made the switch fifty years plus.
I still shoot handguns right handed though, but that is easy as it takes just a 3 inch switch to the left with the right hand.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i also shoot rifles left handed and handguns right handed, with the 3" shift, but my glock keeps throwing brass in my eyes (thank God for eye protection) when I shift 3"...guess that's a reason to stick to my sig's and HK's and walthers!!

Posts: 86 | Location: NW Ohio | Registered: June 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by av8erman:
I am one of those cross-dominant mutants that shoots rifle/shotgun with left hand due to being left dominant and pistol with the right hand nudged over to the left. Started that way as a youngin' with the toy guns and just seemed natural to me.

Same here, though I'm not in agreement on the 'mutant' classification. Simply put, I'm Left eye dominant, but physically right hand dominant...

I shoot a rifle left handed, which is VERY natural to me because I have greater fine dexterity with my left hand. I have always shot a rifle lefty, even when that rifle was a stick I picked up off the ground as a young boy playing in the neighborhood war games. Wink

I shoot a pistol right handed, from a bladed stance, which moves the gun over towards my dominant left eye. I cock my head ever so slightly to get sight picture and it works, again, VERY naturally for me. I also always shot a 'stick pistol' the same way as far back as I can remember. I came to shooting handguns much later in life (well after my neighborhood war gaming days) and after I had become much more 'athletic' than when I was a young sniper. I naturally picked up the handgun right handed. I never had to think about it, I just did it, and still do... Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8879 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post