SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    So I decided to shoot lefty

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I decided to shoot lefty Login/Join 
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted
I started shooting skeet last fall and l love it. I usually shoot 16-21 birds, but struggle with my mixed eye dominance issues. Tried closing my left eye, but that just makes you half blind. Tried closing it right before I pull the trigger, no joy. So I have spent the last 5 months shooting with a piece of tape strategically placed on my left lens to give me some peripheral vision, but keep my dominant left eye from seeing the bead.

This was the best fix I could find, but it’s aggravating as hell on the skeet field, and a down right handicap shooting sporting clays.

So today I decided to try shooting lefty. Some friends and I tried shooting 5 stand today for the second time. First round I shot right handed and hit 5 birds. Next round shot lefty and hit 15! The blind spot was gone, the double vision was gone, and I felt like I just went from looking at a 12” black and white to a 65” big screen!

It’s going to take a boat load of practice, but I’ve decided to commit to the change. I know it will be like starting over, but I think it will be worth it in the long run.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2151 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the dark side.

Posts: 3040 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Yeah I don’t know why anyone would try to force themselves to shoot cross dominant with a long gun.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 2703 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm convinced my son should have been LH. My Dad was and both brothers are LH. Lots of it in the family. He's RH, but hits baseballs LH, rides skateboard like a LH (er footed), even writes like a lefty (which is very strange). So I made sure he shoots rifles like a lefty. He's emigrating to Israel to join the IDF, so we're getting in trigger time. He does shoot pistols RH, but with his head craned over.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post