SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Scope for 10/22 Tactical Target
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope for 10/22 Tactical Target Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
I’ve had my 10/22 Target Tactical for years now and it is just a great little fun, one of my favorites. When I first bought it I picked up a Bushnell Banner 3-9 on it, which has been good enough.

But I’ve got the itch to put something better on it, and perhaps up my magnification a bit as well.

Any suggestions? I get a sizeable Leupold discount so my other 2 scopes are both those (a Mark 4 on an AR and a Mark 6 on a Tikka T3), but I’m not married to the brand.

Posts: 6353 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
I have a Leupold #175075 VX-Freedom 3-9x33 EFR on my heavy barrel 10/22. Great glass.

Posts: 3487 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Leupold listed above for sure.
I have a Nikon Rimfire on my Savage and it is great. Of course they are no more so anything Rimfire from here on out will be the Leupold.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25334 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Leupold 3-9 rimfire is my default scope for any .22 rimfire and its pretty all around good.
But if you are going to run the gun at any kind of distance you are going to be happier with way more magnification. And now we are talking real scopes for real money. What's your budget. I run a nightforce NXS but that's because it came off something else. there are a zillion good options.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of magholderusa
posted Hide Post
This Vortex Diamondback 2-7 has suprisingly been enough for me on this 10/22 build.

Ricky Taggart
Magholder.com
Utah, USA

Posts: 216 | Location: Cedar Hills, UT, USA | Registered: September 28, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
What if your use-case range is anticipated to be no more than ~15 to 25 yards? Backyard kind of adventure! Would you guys recommend backing down to a 2x7x33, or something different? I too am about to buy my first glass -- and coincidentally, also for a 10/22.

Posts: 11341 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
What if your use-case range is anticipated to be no more than ~15 to 25 yards? Backyard kind of adventure! Would you guys recommend backing down to a 2x7x33, or something different? I too am about to buy my first glass -- and coincidentally, also for a 10/22.

25 yards and below would be iron sights for me or a simple red dot.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25334 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
I’d like to shoot this gun at 100 yards on a regular basis. I’ve done 50 now and can turn our dime sized groups of 5 if I’m having a good day.

Budget wise? I’m not sure as the discount is based on Msrp, not actual price. Say, $500ish at the top end. That likely translates into a $800-$900 msrp Leupold.

If the scope operations are the same as my Mark 4 and Mark 6, even better.

Posts: 6353 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMO the most important feature on a rimfire scope is an adjustable objective or adjustable parallax. The greater the magnification, the greater the variability in distance to targets, the greater then need for the adjustment.

If you are undecided among similarly-priced scopes, choose better clarity over higher magnification.

Consider whether you want a first focal plane or a second focal plane reticle. Reticle and turrets should be the same. Both mil/mil and MOA/MOA are good, but Mil/MOA is bad.

Skip any scope with a holdover reticle. Same for a simple crosshair or duplex reticle.

Understand the upgrading ammo can produce better accuracy that upgrading optics.

Posts: 7845 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Leupold Rimfire EFR. Always.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p220cop
posted Hide Post
Another recommendation for the Leupold FX Freedom. I have the 3-9x40 on my 10/22 and find it to be all I need out to 200 yards.

Chaos, panic and disorder. My work here is done........

Not everyone gets the same version of me. One person might tell you I'm an amazing beautiful soul. Another person will say I'm a cold-hearted asshole. Believe them both. I act accordingly......

Posts: 140 | Registered: June 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post