SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Henry rifle. I blame you guys.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Henry rifle. I blame you guys. Login/Join 
posted
My LGS has a pretty good selection of Henry rifles right now. Most are of the brass receiver variety which I am not a fan of, nor the mag tube only types. Yesterday though they had a 16.5 inch, color case hardened, octagon barrel, side gate, 44 Magnum.

I decided overnight if it was still here today I was getting it. It was and I did.

Beautiful rifle. Very smooth action. My last lever gun was a Winchester 94 30/30 and it is way better than that one was in handling and smoothness. Better trigger as well.

I love the lack of a safety. No crossbolt, no tang, just what’s between your ears. It is heavier than it needs to be due to that big old octagon but I can live with that.

I will probably change sights, add sling, maybe a low profile way for a red dot. I know it isn’t keeping with the style of this gun but it is practical. Maybe I will just go peeps. Any suggestions are welcome.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Henry guns are quite nice and well made. I actually like the ability of a tube fed rifle, instead of just the loading gate.

I must say, I doubt your purchase as we have no pics. Wink

Posts: 6893 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of carriganzl
posted Hide Post
I bought one last year in .357 mag 20inch barrel. The color case hardened is absolutely stunning! I kept mine for irons, but I have considered adding the large loop since mine came with the standard loop.

Let us know how it shoots!

SCUBA Diving, going down is what we do best.

Posts: 955 | Location: Western NC | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have a steel Henry rifle in 45-70, very fine so far, about $870. The quality is good, I decided that route over the older Marlin for more $$.

I do have a few older Marlin & Winchester rifles.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to work on my photo hosting skills. Lol.

The color case hardening looks really good. The larger loop is pretty nice. It looks better to my eye.

I bought a couple boxes of magnum and 44 Spcl but I need to buy a bit more before I can take it shooting for real.

I certainly didn’t get a bargain. I paid $1149. I don’t think it would have stayed on the wall for long though. It is a strikingly good looking gun. It makes my old (not the good old) 94 look like a hag standing next to a prom queen.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice score! I had a chance to handle one of their centerfire rifles for the for the first time in a while a couple of weeks ago, and I have to admit that I'd forgotten how nice they are. With the addition of the side gate, I really wouldn't mind picking one up at some point. Shot my brothers Golden Boy .22 today too, and it is one slick little shooter. Henry makes some nice stuff!

Posts: 8605 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I’ve got the exact same rifle in .45Colt and I love it. It’s a great shooter and while heavy, that weight makes it handle recoil like a champ.

I paid somewhere in that region for mine too, but at the time resellers were asking for $1600 or more.

I got the .45 to go with my Ruger Redhawk and a couple SA pistols I own. I’d like a .357 mag now too.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15257 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
mag tube only types

?

Posts: 27974 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
mag tube only types

?

The side loading gate is a pretty recent addition to Henry rifles. Historically they've had a loading port in the muzzle end of the mag tube, like a lot of rimfire rifles use, but no side gate. Some people prefer one, others like the other. I have seen some range safety officers get very upset when someone tilts his/her rimfire or older Henry up to reload it, as doing so tends to point the muzzle up and out of the confines of the range.

Posts: 7272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
mag tube only types

?

The side loading gate is a pretty recent addition to Henry rifles. Historically they've had a loading port in the muzzle end of the mag tube, like a lot of rimfire rifles use, but no side gate.

I like that Henry rifles now have both. I prefer loading from the tube because it’s faster and I don’t pinch my thumb in the loading gate. But the loading gate is way more convenient if you just want to add a cartridge or two.

The tube is also a way better way to unload the rifle instead of cycling the action for every cartridge.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15257 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy to help. Enjoy your new toy!

Posts: 966 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rstaton
posted Hide Post
I just acquired the full length and carbine color case 357 side gate henry's. Now im going to try and get the 44 mag versions. They are so nice.

Posts: 163 | Registered: September 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am torn on my next one. I have zero need for a 45-70 or a 30-30 but those are my preference. I would like a 357 as well.

I have a question for you guys. The manual says it holds 7 rounds of 44. I can easily get 8 rounds of 44 magnum or 44 spl in the tube. Is this an issue to carry the extra round in there? Seems like a no brainer to stuff the extra round in. It isn't even hard to reinstall the brass tube, seems made for 8. What am I missing?

FYI, 44 ammo is priiiiiiicey!

posted Hide Post
The Henry is almost as much fun as full-auto.

Love my Henry in .22 lr. - my paid off the house present 10 years ago. Lots of fun at the steel animals range at the club - love to knock the targets down.

You'll never tire of the Henry. I have no scope and probably should get one.

And yea, reloading at the gun club makes me paranoid. The RO's are overly strict in the exact rules - but I guess they went insane on these rules due to moron members. You can reload while just tilting the rifle up a tad (rifle remains mainly level to the eye) to have the rounds slide down the magazine.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I am torn on my next one. I have zero need for a 45-70 or a 30-30 but those are my preference. I would like a 357 as well.

I have a question for you guys. The manual says it holds 7 rounds of 44. I can easily get 8 rounds of 44 magnum or 44 spl in the tube. Is this an issue to carry the extra round in there? Seems like a no brainer to stuff the extra round in. It isn't even hard to reinstall the brass tube, seems made for 8. What am I missing?

FYI, 44 ammo is priiiiiiicey!

If you think .44 is pricey, wait till you bring that .45-70 home! That said, if you're looking at getting another one, that would be my pick, after maybe a .357. The .357 is like shooting a .22, especially with .38s, and it makes a nice companion to a defensive wheelgun. The .45-70 is like launching cannonballs...so much fun, but it can break your shoulder and your wallet. If you've ever had any interest in reloading, a .45-70 would definitely provide the financial incentive to start. It's very easy to load for, too.

Posts: 8605 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well in my quest to actually be able to shoot, I bought the Henry Small Game Carbine as well. $529, not a screaming deal but doable. It is the version with the octagon barrel and Skinner peep sight.

That Skinner is really nice. Makes me want to fit them on the other gun as well.

If you are on the fence about a Henry 22, they are really nice. It feels so substantial.

357 is next I think. I don’t really have a bear or moose problem so...

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
The skinner sights are the way to go on a solid topped lever gun. I had one on a 336 I gave to my biggest kid, and gave one to my FIL when he had to have my Marlin in 44mag.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11294 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post