SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Caliber recommendations for youth deer hunt?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Caliber recommendations for youth deer hunt? Login/Join 
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yes, common choice, because the 243 is also a good choice.

It may be mentioned above, the next step is an adequate deer bullet. They do have some lighter ‘varmint’ type bullets in the shelf. Yes, just gear selection 101.

With a youth hunter, remind them about placement a bit. I’ve seen some that just ‘shoot at the deer’.

Posts: 6377 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
two which are still somewhat niche cartridges when considering that purpose.

I agree with your overall analysis up to the point where you label the 7.62x39 a niche cartridge. This cartridge has taken more prey worldwide than the other two combined.

Posts: 762 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pace40:
This cartridge has taken more prey worldwide than the other two combined.

Um .... I was under the impression that we were discussing hunting in this United States.

From that perspective it is definitely a niche cartridge at present, and probably always will be because there are so many others that are much, much better for the purpose in this country.

The 7.62×39mm Soviet cartridge was developed for warfare and not for hunting. The degree of whatever popularity it enjoys for that purpose elsewhere is due to factors that far outweigh its suitability. If it were not for the strange fascination that some people have for the AK platform, the cartridge would still be all but unknown here. I don’t have ready access to my old handloading manuals, but I would be surprised if the ones dating before the early 1970s had any data at all for the round. As an example of one I do have, the Ken Waters’ Pet Loads manual from 1980 lists loads even for the exotic 7.7 Japanese, but for the 7.62×39? Nope, nothing.

If your statement is correct, it’s like saying that shotguns are more suited for hunting big game than bottlenecked cartridges because some states prohibit the use of the latter for the purpose.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47647 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I for one have had some mighty tasty venison tenderloin and jerky compliments of this cartridge but since I now only hunt deer with .62 caliber musket balls, tis neither here nor there. Smile

Posts: 762 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bigbuck5
posted Hide Post
I love the 7-08 for deer. Soft recoiling and has enough energy at 500 yards to take a deer. I realize most aren't shooting at that distance, but it's nice to know it will do it. This would, for me, be a one and done type cartridge. I have a re-barreled 98K in 7-08, it's an absolute deer hammer in the mid-west U.S. deer woods.

quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I’ve been using a 7mm-08 more recently and it’s got a surprisingly soft recoil and is a good deer round. May be worth looking at.

Posts: 371 | Location: RGV Texas | Registered: January 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a thought though you may have already purchased. I'd check out the 6.5s which have accuracy range and a lighter recoil than the hunting 30's outside of maybe blackout.

When the shooter gets older they can still use it while a 243 might get left in the safe. It can be used for everything from competition to hunting to whatever else. Just about everyone makes bullets for the 6.5s.

I know we consider 243 light recoiling but its the first centerfire rifle round I ever shot and it kicked the snot out of me up on my uncles woodpile many moons ago. I don't think a 6.5 is that far of a jump up. Now if you already got the 243 or decided to go that way its a solid choice and I'm certainly not knocking it, I just don't see too many adult hunters running around with a 243. YMMV.

More than anything, congrats on making it to see your great grandchild, that's the real accomplishment. Congrats on getting him out in the field as well.

Posts: 3101 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As mentioned before, the 7mm 08 is an excellent round for beginners.

Posts: 604 | Location: NW Pa. USA | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Adding a suppressor to a youth gun does amazing things to mitigate noise and recoil which just makes shooting more fun and helps make accurate shots.

Made in Texas, in the good ole' U.S. of A.

Posts: 245 | Location: Western North Carolina | Registered: May 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We brought up a passel of kids on 7mm-08. Had a youth Remington 700 that we accurized and installed a muzzle break. Almost no recoil and very effective. That rifle was passed through at least 8 kids in our hunting club.

Posts: 477 | Location: FL | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't know what kinda distance he will be shooting but inIowa we are only allowed straight wall cartridges during the regular deer season. So the popular choice has been the 350 legend. I have a 10 year old grandson that probably weighs 75 lbs soaking wet in his carharts but he shoots my 350 very well and it has about the same recoil as the .223. As well they make some single shot break action rifles in this caliber that work very well for youth that may not stay interested in hunting and someone may not be out a lot of dollars.

Posts: 5 | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
This provides an excellent discussion of recoil energy and a chart that is certainly better than my earlier (and now revised) post.

The comments that accompany the chart are worth looking at for anyone still interested in the subject, and especially how they relate to “platform” (rifle, sight, brake, suppressor) effects on felt recoil. The reason I decided to actually research the question rather than relying on old guesses is the statement that the 350 Legend has about the same recoil as the 223 Remington. That seemed unlikely given the much heavier projectiles of the former. According to the chart, a typical 223 has about 5.5 foot-pounds of free recoil energy whereas the 350 has about 7, or about 27% more. Neither is very much, but looking at actual figures does give a clearer picture.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47647 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
6.5 Grendel is what I’ve put together for the grandkids. Started out 7mm08 but they refuse to grow fast enough. Easier to build the AR to fit them, easily suppressed.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5232 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
Both of my kids started with .243, with mixed results. We quickly moved up to .260 Remington and .257 Roberts. Both were more effective than .243 with about the same recoil. The Remington Model 7 youth rifle is just about perfect. I could be equally happy with 7mm08. My daughter was 11 when she started shooting the .257. Hasn’t lost a deer since.

Posts: 400 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
In Ohio a straight wall cartridge is required. Hence the 350 legend has become extremely popular. I've seen many deer taken by kids using an AR platform 350

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9085 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
My 106 lb daughter can shoot at 45-70 and a 30-06. Your grandson should have no trouble with a .243 which is a great deer round. Just get a rifle that fits his frame.

Posts: 12571 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post