SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What do we know about the Browning BLR in .308?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do we know about the Browning BLR in .308? Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
LGS had a Browning BLR in .308 on the used rack when I was in there yesterday. Interesting gun...seemed very well built. Bolt throw is a little heavy compared to my Marlins because it looks like it has rotating bolt lugs at the beginning of its travel. It looked to be in very good shape, and well-cared for. They are asking $699.

I don't really need it, but I like lever-actions and it seems like a nice gun....I just know absolutely nothing about it.

Posts: 8573 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Is it Japanese or Belgian?

Posts: 5323 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
If you buy it, think twice or even three times before you disassemble it. It can be challenging to put the bolt back in the correct position.

Posts: 26911 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Pretty fascinating, modern interpretation of the lever gun. A few really neat design incorporations including a trigger assembly that rides out with the lever so you don't pinch your finger closing the lever. I think all of them have aluminum receivers now for weight purposes. There is also a takedown model that would be a cool truck gun if one were disinclined to have a black gun in that role, or if law disallowed it.

In general, I am a big fan of Browning, especially shotguns but their rifles have always been well-built too, in my estimation. I have 5 Browning shotguns and 3 Browning rifles. The fit and finish should be excellent.

FWIW, there are very few Belgian BLR's out there. They started making them in Herstal in 1970, started selling them in 71, but then moved production to Japan in 1972. There are, supposedly, about 50 of them that were made in Ohio, as well, by auto manufacturer TRW.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10488 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Is it Japanese or Belgian?

Belgian, I believe

Posts: 8573 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Better price mags first. On Brownings website they want $105 for one.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Browning guns just work. Well. Do you have it yet? Why not?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you have it yet? Why not?

Limited funds, other things I want to buy, and trying to make the most practical decision. I'm not sure what I'd use a lever-action .308 for...but it sure seems like a nice rifle.

posted Hide Post
One of my friends kills moose every year with one so it’s good for moose hunting. I bet it would make a great elk hunting rifle as well.

As mentioned, take care of it in the field. Disassembly and re assembly is not something you want to do on top of a cooler, under a tar with your headlamp in a downpour.

Is the one you are looking at a straight handle or curved? I always like the straight handle ones.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bolt throw is a little heavy compared to my Marlins because it looks like it has rotating bolt lugs at the beginning of its travel.

It does. It is a turnbolt, but lever-actuated by means of a rack-and-pinion mechanism.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is the one you are looking at a straight handle or curved? I always like the straight handle ones.

IIRC it was a straight stock.

Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I personally dislike the aesthetics of this particular rifle, but they have a reputation of being well built and if I came across one in .358 Winchester, I'd probably be inclined to buy it.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10198 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Well I went back in there Saturday, and it was gone, so somebody got themself a nice rifle. I will probably regret passing on it at some point, but honestly I have other stuff on the short list right now to spend money on, and I'm not sure what I'd have done with it had I bought it. Sure was nice, though.

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Drats. I got really excited when you posted about finding one and, selfishly, was hoping you'd buy it and post some pictures and a range report on it.

I first learned about the Browning BLR . 308 while watching an episode of Jesse Stone and instantly developed an interest (obsession? Wink) in it. A few years ago I went down the internet rabbithole trying to learn more about them, but I've never come across one.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I hate to disappoint! It really was a nice rifle, and if I didn't have other prospects coming up that I have more practical use for, I'd probably have grabbed it. The local Sheriff's Office has a seizure auction ending tomorrow that I have a couple of bids in, and if that doesn't pan out (as in, I don't spend all my money) there's something I'm watching on gunbroker that ends a few hours after the SO auction.

So hopefully I have something equally if not even more cool by the end of day tomorrow. If everything goes stupid high, though, I'm really gonna kick myself for not buying that Browning.