Minimum tools needed to build an AR lower

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/6730096554

April 19, 2019, 05:17 PM
hrcjon
Minimum tools needed to build an AR lower
quote:
by all means buy a staking tool.

I have seen special tools for staking the bolt carrier screws, but I can't imagine what exactly a staking tool would be for the castle nut. Of course a center punch is perfectly adequate as you note, but what special tool is there?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”
April 19, 2019, 07:24 PM
gearhounds
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
by all means buy a staking tool.

I have seen special tools for staking the bolt carrier screws, but I can't imagine what exactly a staking tool would be for the castle nut. Of course a center punch is perfectly adequate as you note, but what special tool is there?

Some folks use a spring loaded center punch or something specific for the job. I was surprised how little force is required to deform the end plate adequately.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown
April 28, 2019, 07:04 AM
burnetma
Nobody told you the most important tool: a thick wallet. Assemblying ARs is addictive. I just wanted to build a 6.8 SPC rifle, because I wanted to understand function and get all of the features I wanted for under $1500. One became four and counting.