SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    ALG Defense Muzzle Brakes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ALG Defense Muzzle Brakes Login/Join 
I've got mental
blue balls now
Picture of tlbailey1
posted
Does anyone have experience with either of their muzzle brakes? I read a pretty good review of the Sidewinder, but there isn't a ton of material out there for it or the Single Chamber Brake. Having never tried anything but a standard birdcage flash hider and the KAK flashcan on my pistols, I'm curious to seeing the advantage.

This would be going on a 16" midlength rifle. I shoot outdoors only, so sound isn't a big deal to me. Do the devices actually decrease muzzle rise and will it be that noticeable?

Posts: 6847 | Location: Idaho | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I don't notice a huge difference in brakes vs hiders.

But I would think that would help some. Only brake that shot as flat as my tuned SBR with Suppressor. Was a buddy of mine has a lantac dragon on a AR. It shot super flat.

For budget brake the Manticore arms one looks good too.

Reverb Muzzle Brake

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8865 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
A well designed muzzle brake can make a significant difference in how a rifle shoots.

I think the most efficient designs are in the ballpark of 55% recoil reduction.

Some good reading:

http://www.multigunmedia.com/pk-compensation.pdf

http://www.multigunmedia.com/ar15-comps-pt-2.pdf

Posts: 14126 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tlbailey1:
Does anyone have experience with either of their muzzle brakes? I read a pretty good review of the Sidewinder, but there isn't a ton of material out there for it or the Single Chamber Brake.

The Single Chamber Brake shares some design features with most of the reasonably inexpensive but effective brakes. Namely, a large flat surface for gas to impact on, and be directed laterally. This force is what helps mitigate recoil.

Some people like brakes or comps that have expansion chambers and high pressure ports. By drilling these out at different sizes, you can tune vertical or lateral muzzle movement. The downside is that high pressure ports have a tendency to allow a lot of crud to build up on the crown of your rifle. I have to pull the muzzle brake on my 3-gun rifle a couple times a season to clean the crown.

Long story short, muzzle breaks absolutely work. They are loud but well designed brakes reduce recoil. Poorly designed brakes can send a wall of gas back into your face. I shot one like that years ago. I don't think it is still on the market.

Double up on ear pro.

Posts: 14126 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
I don't notice a huge difference in brakes vs hiders.

But I would think that would help some. Only brake that shot as flat as my tuned SBR with Suppressor. Was a buddy of mine has a lantac dragon on a AR. It shot super flat.

For budget brake the Manticore arms one looks good too.

Reverb Muzzle Brake

A brake cut to allow a 9mm to pass will probably give up some recoil mitigation with a .224 caliber projectile.

Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
No AGL experience but I do use the PWS FSC series brakes. Primary Weapon Systems. Have 556 and 30 cal. They keep the muzzle down. But are a tad loud inside. Outside no issues. But don't stand to the side of it. I have enjoyed using them. Open design and haven't had any fouling issues for several years now.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the delay.
Photobucket app was having a glitch & I couldn't access some of my pics.
I have one of the ALG breaks on my 10.5" pistol as well as one on one of my 16" ARs.
Love the control of muzzle rise it gives.
It's a flat push to the rear recoil wise.
While I don't like the look all that much I like its performance enough to buy two.
Other than the ALGs every other of my 11 ARs have a different style muzzle devise.

The flash is out both sides.

My 16" midlength w/ ALG Break

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I have on five of mine the aac on them,lets me switch to the can,they are zeroed that way also with scopes etc.
I am a slow shooter so rise doesent matter or even noticed.

Posts: 22411 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post