SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Colt SP1 finds: and a question on flash hiders
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt SP1 finds: and a question on flash hiders Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Honestly, the H&R is likely the better way to go. There's a handful of places milking the retro market for stupid prices. PSA offers a good alternative.

I ran this past a friend who does a lot of retro stuff and independently, he recommended H&R/PSA and sending it to John Thomas for a moderator. Says he feels you'd get a higher quality barrel that way. PSA has done a lot of work with FN over the years, and whether they implicitly state it or not, their barrels are generally made by FN. FN makes excellent barrels.

Posts: 17166 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all.

I am going to have my class 2 friend look and help me know the answers to some of your good questions and when I know more will post.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Ark, USA | Registered: January 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tschiemer:
Thanks all.

I am going to have my class 2 friend look and help me know the answers to some of your good questions and when I know more will post.

You’re overthinking this. It is rather straightforward and you’ve gotten a lot of good advice already. At present the best off the shelf retro products are from H&R/PSA. As has been mentioned, John Thomas at Retro Arms Works is the go-to for making an off the shelf item into an XM177, etc. John can also convert a milspec upper to use the larger Colt front pin so you can ditch the adapter.

I suggest that you hunt for a Colt SP1 upper, nice early furniture, and restore that SP1 to its correct configuration. This will take time, but it will be worth it.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2325 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds good thank you!

Posts: 2560 | Location: Ark, USA | Registered: January 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I obtained a retro aluminum stock from a company one of you mentioned and it is nice. Thanks.

Pics:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ct2Wm5VAXwoBVvi29

posted Hide Post
Here is how it turned out:

Before - on white box
After - on blue chair

My friend John Norrell took it apart and I refinished the barrel and after lightly media blasting the receiver found it was very close to the SP1 lower so left as much as possible instead of refinishing the entire gun.

I have not completely oiled it down but you get the idea.

It has been 15 years since I refinished but it came back to me. I refinished for John for 11 years on weekends to be around this stuff and learn!

I had ordered a retro buffer tube and stock (all aluminum as the early ones) and it looks good for my personal gun.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5C2cMhxgQ1qtu37f8