SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Where is the thread about modifying (cleaning?) 22 LR ammunition for greater precision?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where is the thread about modifying (cleaning?) 22 LR ammunition for greater precision? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
I’m convinced there was a discussion about tumbling or otherwise removing the wax lube from 22 Long Rifle ammunition, but I can’t find it now. Any help?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It helps. In some cases it helps a lot. I eventually just dumbed it down to putting rounds into a ziplock bag with some paper towels to soak up excess and sprayed lube into bag and jostle them around.

Only issue I ever have is due to choice of lube. Rem Oil and such work fine but harder to spread this way. I used a silicone based spray that turned gummy. Won’t do that again. Honestly WD is probably the easiest to apply and works fine.

Twofold increase I believe is due to cleaning off the excess gunk that is left after manufacturer. A little wax is good, a lot is bad kind of idea. And secondly it just plain lubes up the round in general. Overall I have zero doubt that doing this makes a 22 run better.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
This thread?

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...210048874#9210048874

Yes, thanks. I didn't go far enough back when trying to find it, and didn't know what to search for (".22" didn't help).

And thanks for the summary, pedropcola.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
De nada. I like talking 22’s so it doesn’t take much to get me started. lol

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t know about cleaning the bullet for accuracy but, I had a friend take every 22 LR round he had and put it bullet first into a 223 empty case that was sized and the neck true and square. He then spun the 22 round around to see if the rim was square on it or moved up and down w/ different sizes/thicknesses in the rim of the 22 case. He then shot the ones that didn’t move in matches.

I don’t know if it made a difference. He always shot very well in the 22 matches so it must have meant something to him. Maybe it chambered centered and true w/ a good and even rim.

Posts: 4055 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
I had a friend take every 22 LR round he had

All 5 rounds? Bet that took a couple of minutes. Who has more 22s than that?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
I had a friend take every 22 LR round he had

All 5 rounds? Bet that took a couple of minutes. Who has more 22s than that?

Nicely played. You still having troubles finding 22LR’s?

Posts: 4055 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shooting a rimfire match tomorrow. If an Olympic competitor is there, I'll suggest they clean their ammo for greater precision Big Grin

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
Shooting a rimfire match tomorrow. If an Olympic competitor is there, I'll suggest they clean their ammo for greater precision Big Grin

How Zen precise can you be whilst cursing nasty rimfire ammo that wont feed or eject? Wink

"OOOOOOOOOOOmmmmmOOOOOO perfect sight picture Ooooommmmm AWWWWWFUCKADUCKIT'SJAMMEDAGAIN!!!"

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Eley on 22lr ammo wax

"Lubricant applied to .22LR ammunition is to ease repeated chambering. The idea that lubricant sends the bullet down the barrel is a common misconception. While it helps, it’s not its primary function.

All of ELEY’s .22LR rounds have some form of lubricating wax applied. The two main lubricants ELEY use is beeswax tallow and paraffin wax. So what’s the difference?

Beeswax tallow
As you may have guessed, beeswax is a natural wax produced by honey bees. The wax is formed into scales by glands in the abdominals of worker bees, and is then discarded in the hive. Beeswax has a more yellowy tint, whereas paraffin is a colourless substance.

The main difference, however, is texture. Beeswax tallow produces a softer, thicker and stickier lubricant as opposed to pure paraffin. As a result, it creates a much more accurate round, because the softer wax minimises the effects of chambering. Through tribological testing and verification, this effect has been examined by ELEY. As such, it is why ELEY apply it to its competitive, high-end ammunition such as ELEY tenex and ELEY match. It’s designed for precision and for those competing at the highest levels who want the most accurate ammunition available.

It’s important to note that due to the greasiness of beeswax, it will potentially pick up more lint and debris. As a result, beeswax residue will slowly build up and dirty the rifle or pistol chamber slightly more, so it’s important to have a proper cleaning regime in place. (Check out our other ELEY article for more information on how to properly clean your barrel).

Paraffin wax
Comparatively, paraffin wax is a much thinner lubricant and remains harder than beeswax at any given temperature due to its higher melting point. This gives it a drier feel and is less prone to picking up debris.

Thanks to its harder texture, paraffin wax is more suited to semi-auto firearms as it doesn’t clog the mechanism. As such, ELEY use paraffin wax on its recreation rounds including ELEY force and ELEY action.

What’s more, paraffin’s cheaper price point makes it ideal for semi-automatic ammo to help keep costs down for shooters who are firing a large number of rounds at a fast rate.

Discover more from ELEY’s.22LR range, and head over to our ammunition page."

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post