SIGforum
I Gots All These AR Mags, Now How Am I Gonna Carry 'Em?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/6650079354

February 26, 2019, 11:30 PM
ensigmatic
I Gots All These AR Mags, Now How Am I Gonna Carry 'Em?
As I was closing-up the safe this evening I thought about how I have a "sufficient" number of AR mags, then started thinking "Let's just say I did want to get the AR and a bunch of loaded mags out of the safe and go somewhere with 'em... How'm I gonna carry all that?"

Found myself over at Blue Force Gear and spotted this: Ten-Speed 6 Pack Bandolier.

Looks like a pretty neat, light-weight, minimalist solution. Economical, too.

I'm using one of their Ten-Speed dual mag pouches for my P320F .45 ACP mags and I like it.

Thoughts?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
February 27, 2019, 12:12 AM
KevinCW
In pouches on my plate carrier. Smile

But yes, that is a good set up to carry some mags quickly.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."
February 27, 2019, 12:13 AM
old rugged cross
Not bad. Like the USA made. Another thought would be a quality gun bag or case with mag storage. There are some good ones.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"
February 27, 2019, 12:16 AM
KevinCW
Oh, and if you really have a "sufficient" number of AR mags, the answer to your questions is a large cardboard box!!! Cool

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."
February 27, 2019, 01:03 AM
tatortodd
Condor Kangaroo triple mag pouch mounted on a Condor Chest Rig

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
February 27, 2019, 01:47 AM
Chowser
I also use my plate carrier. But I don’t carry that in my car so I keep my old SOG Responder Bag in the car with my rifle. The front pouches hold six mags and the inner pouch and side pouch holds plenty more gear.

[URL=SOG Responder Bag, 11.5-Liter Storage https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X...DCbCQNR7CR]SOG[/URL]

Not minority enough!
February 27, 2019, 02:46 AM
CD228
Depends what you are doing/want to do.

As mentioned a chest rig or plate carrier(if you have plates) is a great way to carry your immediate use magazines if you are in an environment where you can wear or conceal one. The BFG bandolier you found is a quality product, will also meet mission and might be easier to conceal than a chest rig. Also chest rigs seem to attract more stuff like IFAKs, lights, the kitchen sink, etc.

In a less permissive environment, you might be better off with a mag pouch attached to your CCW belt and the rest of your magazines in duffle bag, sling bag/laptop case, bag like what chongo recommended, etc. You could also buy a (or several) cheap US Army surplus 6 mag link bandolier and toss it into a duffle bag or back pack and yank it out when you need it. Like most things Army surplus, it isn't comfortable, but can work at a cheap price.

Another option if you want to move a large number of magazines quickly is to get a rubber made tote that fits in the trunk of your vehicle and fill that with magazines. It's a variation on the cardboard box mentioned above. Just don't go too cheap or it will break and your magazines will get all over the place.

You can also gat a high speed operator backpack and Velcro mag pouches into it. I think BFG sells something like that under the product name dapper. I'll do some more research.
February 27, 2019, 04:46 AM
Voshterkoff
Plate carrier, low profile chest rig, BFG bandolier, USGI bandolier, or plastic totes.
February 27, 2019, 06:36 AM
ruger357
Responder bag

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
February 27, 2019, 07:49 AM
WARPIG602
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
"Let's just say I did want to get the AR and a bunch of loaded mags out of the safe and go somewhere with 'em... How'm I gonna carry all that?"

Go somewhere like the library or go somewhere like the range?

February 27, 2019, 08:12 AM
cslinger
Hand truck?
Sherpa?
PODS?

“Sufficient” May mean something different for me. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."
February 27, 2019, 08:22 AM
Leemur
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
Oh, and if you really have a "sufficient" number of AR mags, the answer to your questions is a large cardboard box!!! Cool

You spelled “UHaul” wrong. Wink
February 27, 2019, 08:25 AM
fritz
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
Go somewhere like the library...

In that case, be vewy vewy quiet. I recommend bringing a quality suppressor, too.
February 27, 2019, 08:42 AM
ARMT Guy
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:

You can also gat a high speed operator backpack and Velcro mag pouches into it. I think BFG sells something like that under the product name dapper.

They do:

Jedburgh Pack
https://www.blueforcegear.com/...gh-tactical-backpack

Tracer Pack
https://www.blueforcegear.com/tracer-pack

DAP Insert Panels
https://www.blueforcegear.com/...el?search=Dap+insert

Its a pretty slick system to configure/reconfigure your carry bag.

The Ten-Speed pouch you linked is a great and simple way to sling on a bunch of magazines, your AR and head out.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

February 27, 2019, 08:49 AM
ensigmatic
Been here eleven years, guys. I knew what "sufficient" would draw. That's why I put it in quotes. Y'all did not disappoint Smile

"Sufficient," to me, means <goes downstairs and counts 'em...> ok...

... more than double what that BFG bandolier can hold. To me that's "sufficient." YMMV Wink

Looks like many of you are on the same page as me regarding that product's utility. Thanks for the feedback!

Now I just need to decide on which colour. I don't really like camo, but it would probably be the wisest choice for this application. (No! I ain't buyin' one of each, for woods, urban and desert!)

To answer CD228's one point, explicitly: I've had one of BFG's Ten-Speed dual carriers on The List, so I'll probably pick that up at the same time.

(Sorry for posting to the wrong forum, mods, and thanks for moving.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
February 27, 2019, 11:08 AM
RHINOWSO
30 and 50 cal ammo cans make useful totes to refill your chest rig. Wink
February 27, 2019, 11:22 AM
dry-fly
I’ve got this 5.11 bag loaded down with some AR mags.

https://www.511tactical.com/bail-out-bag.html

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...
February 27, 2019, 11:45 AM
CD228
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:

They do:

Really good links.

that's the stuff. Thanks for posting.

there is the mag pouch. as well.
February 27, 2019, 11:53 AM
WARPIG602

February 27, 2019, 11:54 AM
CD228
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

"Sufficient," to me, means <goes downstairs and counts 'em...> ok...

• 10 ea. Lancer 30-round (8 smoke, 2 black)
  • 2 ea. Magpul 30-round
  • 2 ea. Magpul 40-round
  • 2 ea. metal (don't recall mfgr. Got 'em here on a karma.)

... more than double what that BFG bandolier can hold. To me that's "sufficient." YMMV Wink

Now I just need to decide on which colour. I don't really like camo, but it would probably be the wisest choice for this application. (No! I ain't buyin' one of each, for woods, urban and desert!)

So Camo might not be the best answer. A simple black, brown or green model might be the right answer depending on what color clothes or cover garment you might use. Cruising around with a big patch of multicam might draw unwanted attention. You could also buy two bandoliers in different color and throw the one that doesn't match the situation in a bag or back pack. Spray paint also works on nylon. I saw a lot of tan painted back packs in IRAQ in 2007 after the SGM sand no more black back packs.