SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    M-16: A Bureaucratic Horror Story - Why the rifles jammed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M-16: A Bureaucratic Horror Story - Why the rifles jammed Login/Join 
posted
This very thorough article is from 1981.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ma...horror-story/545153/

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
While I had heard of the powder issue I had not known how complicit the Army Technical dinosaurs were in the deaths of our soldiers.

Surprising but not shocking.

Good read

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Excellent read, Sigmund, thank you.

Posts: 15884 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I remember reading in one of the Detroit daily papers of this and as a result the Bux Company, manufacturer of Dri-Slide supplying the military with their lubricant. Probably some time between 68-70. At that time Bux Company was in Michigan hence one of the reasons for the paper writing about it.

My interest in Dri-Slide at that time was for non-firearm use. I was off-road motorcycle racing, scrambles and enduros. The sand and dust wreaked havoc with our chains and to a lesser amount our cables and controls like throttle, clutch and brakes. Dri-Slide was great, the carrier (probably mineral spirits) would evaporate and leave a coating of moly lube on those surfaces. The other lubes we had at that time were usually an oil or graphite with a sticky STP-like carrier that would stick to the surfaces along with grit, sand, mud and dust.

I used Dri-Slide exclusively on my street bike's chain, a BSA Lightning. That bike was rode hard and put up wet. Power shifted it about half the time I rode it. Three seasons and about 20k later I replaced my first chain on that bike, friends with similar bikes andM. O.E. Reynold chains were replacing them sooner than that.

As this was a bit before my draft eligibility I made a mental note to take some Dri-Slide with me if I got called up.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8096 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
That article turned my stomach. Gawd, how infuriating! And no one ever anwered for it. Mad

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Gun by CJ Chivers has an excellent overview of the issues with the M16 and the powder fiasco.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2317 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Great article. It still pissses me off to read about this. Mad

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
The change to ball powder, the rate of twist, non chrome barrel and chamber and lack of cleaning kits and lack of maintenance meant FUBAR for the early M16's

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The love of money got a lot of soldiers killed and wounded.

Posts: 12650 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
The love of money got a lot of soldiers killed and wounded.

I didn't read it that way. There really was no question of money or profits in the article. To me it appeared to be an acute case of NIH syndrome, Not Invented Here.

The AR-15 was not designed by the Army's arsenal system and by God, they were going to make sure the AR-15 was a disaster. That should then keep away anyone else who would design something for the Army outside of the "proper channels."

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
The article reminds me of that movie about the Bradley Fighting Vehicle which was a good design until the goddam Army brass got involved and ordered all sort of changes to it. Confused

Posts: 33750 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny how the one time buy limited issue of 85000 rifles resulted despite the controversy to continue as the standard issue weapon today. Also remember reports of the early m4’s and m16a2’s (with the increased twist rate designed for longer range stability and potential for light armor penetration should we face the soviets in Central Europe) failed to incapacitate thin Somali fighters in Mogadishu. And some reports out of both Iraq and Afghanistan of functional issues with the rifles. I was lucky enough not to experience any problems with my issue rifle or carbine while deployed, but it was reassuring to have a pistol as well.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chino101
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
The article reminds me of that movie about the Bradley Fighting Vehicle which was a good design until the goddam Army brass got involved and ordered all sort of changes to it. Confused

You've probably seen this already, but for those that haven't, here is a good laugh:

Posts: 510 | Location: Maryland | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Infuriating to read.

Pencil pushers and process worshippers with no concept of real world issues and how the bureaucracy impacts those with their life on the line.

The more things change, the more they stay the same it seems.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10924 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

hope we never go to war with the Bradley

we'll get our asses handed to us for sure

----------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A good read with some real “piss you off” information. However, the part where the author described the M14 was built “skimpy” and light made me scratch my head.

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post