SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Accessorizing Mossberg 590 A1
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accessorizing Mossberg 590 A1 Login/Join 
posted
I just picked up a Mossberg 590A1 with the 8round capacity. Bayonet lug and all! I was unimpressed with the Blackhawk adjustable stock it had and put back the factory stock for now. I was planning to put Magpul furniture and add a rail bit to the fore end to hang off a Surefire X300. I have a Magpul sling that I was going to throw on to it as well. This puts the final touches to it except for two things:

1) Sights. It comes with the factory bead sight. I was considering putting either a rail and some kind of optic or adding ghost sights. I have ghost sights on my duty Remington and am comfortable with it, but I don't want to have to get a whole other barrel to get the front sight. Is there another option for this?
2) More ammo. It has a really cheap side saddle that needs to be replaced. Any thoughts or recommendations? I have also seen online pictures with single or double shells attached to other parts of the shotgun. Thoughts?
I really don't want to hang useless crap to this shotgun, I just want to optimize it for function. Any and all opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 374 | Registered: November 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Pics! The Magpul stock was a HUGE improvement. I also got a GG&G front/side sling mount. For side saddles, check out Mesa Tactical. I’ve been debating getting one for mine, but it is already a heavy beast.

Mine came with factory ghost ring sights. The front base is soldered on, so maybe a gunsmith? I didn’t realize that the 8+1 A1 came as a bead sight option at all.

Get a good sling! Magpul would be my first choice. I don't like the one I have on there at the moment and have been meaning to replace it with a Magpul so I can use the mount integrated into the stock.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17236 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
Mossberg offers a ghost ring sight package similar to the sights on FEV post. The front sight can be silver soldered over the bead. I have the sight on my 500 but my shotgun came with a rifle front sight so I only added the rear.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1321 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
You also need a side saddle, mine is Velcro on the receiver with Velcro cards. Quick SS reload from your plate carrier.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1321 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I use velcro ammo cards, and a tritum sight like this one…. https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...005908468?pid=185189

I chose the hogue overmolded youth stock…in case Mrs Mike has to use it

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11233 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend the magpul fore-end too, they're comparable in price to the MOE AR-15 handguards (read: dirt cheap) and give you plenty of options. Plus I find them ergonomically superior to the factory pump.

You've reminded me I need to trim my own 590A1 out.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
Nice gun - I'll likely get one if they ever show up around here.

I had an early 90's 590military that I'd kill to have back! Speedfeed stock, ghost rings, heat shield, bayo lug and all - kick myself for trading it off, although that was like 25 years ago...now I want it back.

Posts: 818 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 590 looks very similar and I love the Magpul stock. It really makes shouldering so much easier than the older Hogue I inherited it with.

I dont have the A1 model but I did add the Magpul sling swivel that attached around the mag and barrel. I really like it. I did go with the Surefire light though. Normally I would have but the price was right at the time.

I did upgrade to a Wolf mag spring and the tube follower is an NDZ. I have been considering an upgraded / larger safety slide though. Anyone with experience in those?

Posts: 583 | Location: Helena, AL | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bordeth:
I have been considering an upgraded / larger safety slide though. Anyone with experience in those?

I installed a Vang Comp safety. I like it. It is larger than the factory switch.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17236 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I definitely recommend the MagPul stock. It’s a great accessory.

I have a GG&G side saddle on mine which is absolutely bullet proof, but I’m probably going to switch it to the Velcro cards someday. I was not aware of their existence when I put the GG&G on mine.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
The Mossberg ghost ring sights are excellent. Target acquisition is fast. Plus, the rear sight is adjustable for windage and elevation.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention I also added a Phase5 follower to my mossberg

https://phase5wsi.com/low-drag...-follower-12gsf.html

Mine is lime green

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11233 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 590a1 also has the bayonet lug. Although I will never use it for it's intended purpose, I bought a USMC issue OKC3s bayonet. Just in case. lol

Posts: 602 | Location: NW Pa. USA | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
My 870 has the Magpul furniture as well. I have both the SGA and the SAGE Ordnance pistol grip with the Kynshot recoil buffer and Magpul CTR stock.

I actually prefer the pistol grip configuration. I shot the hottest 3" slugs and sabot slugs I could find as well as the hottest 00 Buck and it felt like I was shooting target loads. My shoulder was completely fine. And I like the looks of the SAGE pistol grip/Kynshot over the Blackhawk model.

Mesa Tactical also makes a pistol grip adapter too.

I believe the pic rail is Mesa as well.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5366 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
What are you guys using for a heatshield? I have one on a 500, but as you know, the 590A1 barrel is thicker gauge and incompatible w/ heatshields for other 500/590 models.

One upgrade I recommend is the Universal Minishell Adapter by Defender Tactical. For $25, it gives you the same functionality of a 590S. Unlike Opsol's adapter, you can run a mix of 2 1/4, 2 3/4, & 3 inch shells w/o changing anything out.

DT has some other interesting accessories too.
https://defendertactical.com/collections/other-pump

Posts: 3171 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
I’m using a slightly modified Mossberg factory heat shield. It didn’t take much effort.

posted Hide Post
As far as the heat shield goes...I had to remove it because the Surefire fore-end would not slide with it installed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bordeth,

Posts: 583 | Location: Helena, AL | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
Much to my chagrin, I cannot put a heat shield on my Mossberg 500, the front rifle sight is silver soldered on and cannot be easily removed.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JWF:
Much to my chagrin, I cannot put a heat shield on my Mossberg 500, the front rifle sight is silver soldered on and cannot be easily removed.

My A1 came with the factory front sight base soldered on. You can still get a heat shield on there. See my pics, above. You install the rear of the shield against the receiver first, then give the front end a nice tap with a mallet.

Plus, it also appears they make one make one for the A1 now:

https://www.brownells.com/shot...hield-prod86749.aspx

No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
Quote: My A1 came with the factory front sight base soldered on. You can still get a heat shield on there. See my pics, above. You install the rear of the shield against the receiver first, then give the front end a nice tap with a mallet.

Plus, it also appears they make one make one for the A1 now:Quote FEV

FEV, your gun appears to be a 590 where mine is a 500 Mossberg. The Brownells part number is for a 590 gun but I bet the shield will fit my gun. Brownells offering comes with no hardware (I have looked and cannot find the hardware package)and an 8 week delivery. in no hurry so I will keep shopping

Thanks for the suggestion.

NRA
Georgia Carry