SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Picking up the first firearm I ever used next Saturday
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picking up the first firearm I ever used next Saturday Login/Join 
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted
My dad called a couple weeks ago and asked if I still wanted the Ruger 10/22 to which I replied heck yes.

I remember the postman delivering it to him at his furniture store in Lebanon, OR in 1973, and he had ordered it from the Sears catalog.

This is the one with the checkered maple stock.

Dad would take me in 1974 down to the basement in Portland, OR and we would shoot targets that were on a stack of 1 x 12 pine boards leaning against the wall.

I wasn't strong enough to pull the charging handle back with my hands so I would put the butt on the ground and use my foot.

Shooting with my dad is one of my fond memories.

I will need to clean and lube it as it hasn't been handled in decades as dad wasn't a gun guy, but I will take care of it, and pass it to my son.

Will post a photo or two when I get it.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
My sincerest condolences. I have trained my (now) 25 year old daughter on a 1999 10/22. Same for my 11 year old son. It was the first rifle both of them ever shot.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5398 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
My sincerest condolences.

You don't like 10/22s? Big Grin

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
quote:
My sincerest condolences. I have trained my (now) 25 year old daughter on a 1999 10/22. Same for my 11 year old son. It was the first rifle both of them ever shot.

Tony.

Dad isn't dead, he is giving me his Ruger.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
“Dad isn't dead, he is giving me his Ruger.”

My condolences to your Dad on the loss of his Ruger. Wink

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
cant wait to see pics of that stock? Don't know that I have ever seen a factory maple 10-22.

HK Ag

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
For some reason, my brain read that as "My dad died" not "My dad called" and I read the rest of the thread thinking he gave you the old 10/22 because he knew he was dying.

I feel like an ass now.

Anyway, glad to hear you got your first firearm, and I still would have shared my brief story with mine.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5398 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
quote:
For some reason, my brain read that as "My dad died" not "My dad called" and I read the rest of the thread thinking he gave you the old 10/22 because he knew he was dying.

I feel like an ass now.

Anyway, glad to hear you got your first firearm, and I still would have shared my brief story with mine.

Tony.

Benny,
It's okay my brother. It is nice to know you care if that were the case Smile

Hell even I have misread posts.