SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    The night vision and thermal thread
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The night vision and thermal thread Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Alright, I'm closing in on a competent setup. I have a critical question, and hopefully JoshNC is still following this thread and can offer some input:

Visible laser in an illuminator - is it important enough to go ahead and go for this?

Reason I ask is I'm considering a DIR-V or a DIR-ONE V. I don't see myself using a vis laser for just about anything other than maybe checking my zero with my dot during the daytime, and honestly, that's still depending on the thing staying coaligned with the IR laser, and I'd see myself checking that the IR laser was coaligned with the dot under NV anyways. I have a PERST 3 clone that has a surprisingly good IR laser, but the green laser doesn't coalign, and I don't find myself caring about that, because I can't see a need for it. I find myself wishing that I could fire an IR laser and IR illuminator with one button press.

Is it worth spending the extra $500 for vis laser? I'm leaning towards "no," but I also don't want to eventually feel like an idiot for not just going ahead and springing for the full featured unit right off the bat. Then again, that difference in cash outlay could be an EXPS 3-0 and I'd still have all the capability I think I'd reasonably want with the DIR-ONE V and a Malkoff scout on the left side.

I've looked at a lot of different illuminators, and while the ACAL and IRIS would be nice as more budget options, I don't want to wait another six months or a year for that when I could just be shooting with a really good IR illuminator the whole time.

Posts: 17229 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used the visible laser in my PEQ15 to point things out to people. It comes in handy for that, as well as the zeroing and zero confirmation perks you already noted.

If you have it, you'll use it for something sometimes. If you don't have it, you probably won't wish you did. I have never used mine to actually shoot, and the times it's come in handy for the things mentioned above certainly don't add up to $500 worth.

I think they used to be more relevant for use with gas masks and such. We've embraced the tall mounts now, so that's kind of a wash. I do see some "high speed" folks on youtube using visible lasers in shoot house scenarios. They could be inadvertently triggering it though (but then they arguably wouldn't be high speed).

Like you said, hopefully others will chime in with more experience-based input.

Posts: 2210 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Despite my observations of splash signature, when using my ersatz diving board mock-up, I am still curious. The ability to remove and re-install the "suite" of NV-related aiming tools all at once is appealing to me. I am considering some tweaks to the current rifle setup, and it would likely work out well.

There's this alternative to the GBRS Hydra...

https://jagerwerks.com/shop/optic-mounts/

Less money, but it doesn't seem to get everything up as high. The modifications I am considering have me with a .5" riser on the top of the receiver anyway though, so it could work out.

Posts: 2210 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Along those lines, there was a guy at GBRS named Slade who had a falling out with the other guys. They supposedly stole his idea and turned it into the Hydra. He started his own company and produces his own. It looks like basically the same thing as the Jagerworks setup you linked. I haven't looked closely enough, and they may not play well together, but this is another option to at least look into. A little pricier, but hey, tatted beardbrovet SEAL drip, amirite?

https://www.scirregulars.com/c...-optic-mount-modular

Posts: 17229 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post