SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Does anyone make a bolt action 300BLK SBR that isn't 3000 dollars?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone make a bolt action 300BLK SBR that isn't 3000 dollars? Login/Join 
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted
How hard is it to shorten an existing barrel on something like a Ruger Ranch rifle in order to LEGALLY convert it into an SBR?

I don't know a damn thing about bolt guns, except that I really like the mini-Mauser action on my CZ452 and I don't want this to be my most expensive rifle.

I would put a LPVO on it and use it for plinking on steel. Practice hold over, wind compensation, etc.

I will spray paint it some horrible OD camo scheme from the 80s.

Posts: 5235 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From looking at Ruger Ranch pictures, I suspect the barrel can be shortened to the 10-11 inch ballpark -- which would put the muzzle about even with the front end of the stock. A good gunsmith can provide advice.

If you need an ear to bend, consider calling Black Canyon Customs in Denver. Fritz Ahlquist (owner) is an extremely talented gunsmith. He walks the talk, too -- a great steel-match shooter and a hunter with a consistently full freezer.

BTW -- I don't own Black Canyon Customs. "fritz" is just a nickname.

Posts: 8040 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

Posts: 5235 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Savage makes one, but it's got a left-handed bolt only.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6156 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Not quite $3K:

https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/bolt-action/pistols

6.4/93.6
“Cet animal est très méchant, quand on l’attaque il se défend.”

Posts: 47758 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
I should add that it's a bolt-action pistol, but it could be SBR'ed.

Savage PCS

quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:
Savage makes one, but it's got a left-handed bolt only.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6156 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
I've seen some posts somewhere (can't remember what site right now) of Ruger American Ranch .300 Blackout cut down to 11.5". Gunsmith fee of $100 for the barrel chop + $200 tax stamp. I think it would be a hoot to shoot one.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1954 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
You can get the Ruger with a 16” bbl I believe. Short enough!

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 8025 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Any competent gunsmith should be able to chop, recrown and thread a barrel for you.

Key word, competent. Lots of local hacks out there who make a living butchering guns. Find a reputable shop with plenty of good reviews.

Posts: 14166 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
You can get the Ruger with a 16” bbl I believe. Short enough!

11" with a 5" can and subsonics would be a lot more fun. Big Grin

Posts: 14166 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
Key word, competent. Lots of local hacks out there who make a living butchering guns.

Amen, Brother!

I will say, though, that I owe my own skills to such “gunsmiths” because it was due to them that I realized I needed to learn how to do certain things myself and not rely on others. I wouldn’t attempt to cut and crown a barrel, but I’m honest enough about my abilities to admit that. That is unfortunately not true of many “professionals.”

6.4/93.6
“Cet animal est très méchant, quand on l’attaque il se défend.”

Posts: 47758 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of policetruck
posted Hide Post
I'm a full time machinist and then run my gun business on the side. I'm not sure where you're at but I'd be more than happy to cut and re-crown a barrel for you. I've done a few rifle barrels and re-crowned handful of pistol barrels.

https://blessingsofliberty0.wixsite.com/mysite
Veteran owned 07 FFL/ 02 SOT
LandWarfareNow@gmail.com
Instagram @land.warfare

Posts: 1222 | Location: Va | Registered: July 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the offer, Im in Colorado, might take Fritz up on his rec.

Yes I have a couple of cans that would make for a nifty combo with a short bolt rifle. My CZ452 has a 16" barrel and it is fun, but not handy with a can.

quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Not quite $3K:

https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/bolt-action/pistols

I've looked at those and not only are they over priced, but I much prefer a rifle stock over a pistol grip for bolt guns, but thank you for the suggestion.

For the smithies: On the RAR, do you remove the barrel before re-threading to make it easier to get it in the lathe chuck?

Are there some actions that are easier to re-barrel than others? This would be helpful to identify candidates.

For that matter I think a platform like this would be super fun in 9mm, but I cant identify a path forward there, heavily mod and re-barrel a .223 action I guess.

I've decided to buy more expensive ammo instead.