SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Do you think Glock will ever market a pistol caliber carbine?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you think Glock will ever market a pistol caliber carbine? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
It's been a running joke since the 1990s: "Any day now!"

The KelTec has been out there a long time but they have durability issues. Ruger's takedown offering seems solid and it can be configure to take Glock magazines- that's a big plus. And now S&W with their FPC, which seems like the best of the bunch for the average man.

There are others, of course, including the AR-type PCCs.

It seems like, though, that this would be a natural niche for Glock. Lighweight, reliable, and with native acceptance of Glock magazines. A G19-length grip would make the most sense. Or, given the 10 round magazine restrictions in various states, perhaps a G26-length grip would make more sense.

Commonality of some parts- slide internals, and the trigger, meaning perhaps that aftermarket triggers or the Glock Performance Trigger could be used.

They've just about got the pistol variations covered, although I'd dearly love to see a G19 with a G26 grip.

What do you think? Is the Glock Carbine to forever remain a running joke?

Posts: 107641 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
Seems like offering a PCC would be a great seller for Glock

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
My guess is that it has been developed more than once, and shot down by their bean counters every time.

Mostly because I suspect they make higher margins on magazines, and since everyone else is making their guns compatible why dig a hole yourself when others are doing it for you.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
They proposed a piston AR15 for a UK arms solicitation, so I just don’t know anymore. I thought a sub gun for the recent compact VIP protection would come long before a carbine.

Posts: 9974 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't.

The only thing that changes that is a (probably European) contract solicitation that makes sense to them to bid on. The trouble is that B&T owns a big chunk of the euro subgun market and makes excellent guns (the APC) that take Glock magazines in some configurations.

And then there is the question of whether it would make it to the US civilian market if they did. The brace rule and current sag in the industry are not positives for something like that. Importation in rifle form is also wrought with challenges. Obviously they can also produce stateside, but that doesn't really seem likely as it would mean tooling up in two places.

Maybe I'm off on this, but Glock's model does not seem to support it. Also keep in mind the random Glock branded AR that popped up last year and is generally believed to be real. There has not been a whisper of that gun on the civilian side.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
It definitely seems like a steadily growing market segment. A 10mm folding carbine like the KelTec Sub2000, but with Glock quality and reliability would be pretty interesting in my opinion.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5578 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still waiting for one...

Posts: 3225 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doubtful. If they were going to do so, I think they’d have done it already.

I’d love to see them offer a 5.56 carbine.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2325 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I think they know thier niche, as in where thier bread is buttered and don't want to stray,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
Glock would probably make a pretty sweet carbine if they make the decision.
I would be interested to see what they would come up with, especially if they used G17 and G21 magazines.

Posts: 1782 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I think they should, especially since there's a number of PCC's on the market that use their mags. A nice, compact Glock PCC that takes 33rd sticks would be sweet, especially if it folds up into something even more compact. I just hope that if they've got anything in the works, that they actually bring it to market. In more recent years, they've shown a willingness to give the customer more what they ask for and not just what Gaston wants to make, so I'm hopeful.

Posts: 17167 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps someone could explain the draw of a pistol-calibre carbine.

Pistol calibres are WEAK. They are meant to be carried in substandard fighting equipment (pistols) whose main attribute is concealability. You lose that with a carbine, and you don't get any particular advantage in ammor shot. There already IS a carbine that does reasonably well in that slot - an M4. 5.56 is hardly a serious longer range round, and we've seen what even an untrained young man (Kyle Rittenhouse) cam do with one. ?What would be the advantage of a weaker carbine. (Other than burn ammo st prodigious rates/)

Posts: 75 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: August 30, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They should but probably won't. At least as long as Gaston is still calling the shots (so to speak). He strikes me as having a way too conservative mindset when it comes to his baby. Unless he can find agency or military takers with their requisite back-of-the-house support contracts for such a gun, he won't do it.

However I'd sign up for the 10mm if he did. Hell, I'd even move OUT of the blasted state to make it happen. Big Grin

-MG

Posts: 2001 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Short answer...NOPE.

That said, if done right I think they would sell lots of them. However, I see Glock as a one trick pony and has had a complete lack of any real innovation since they came out with their original pistol. Ergos are still the same, grossly lacking IHMO and CZ just knocks it out of the park in this area. They simply seem to have no drive to do better or to come out with new products that aren't based on the old stuff. Can you imagine a Glock with a CZ ergo styled frame? That's a winner to me.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3632 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Devereaux:
Perhaps someone could explain the draw of a pistol-calibre carbine.
No, that's not going to happen in this thread.

Posts: 107641 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I’d love to see Glock (or any other top tier manufacturer for that matter) make a functional, reliable bullpup PCC to make use of a 16” barrel and avoid the whole sbr thing.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15601 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish they would. I imagine it would/could be a simple design like their pistols. I am sure they would still sell a bunch of them, especially to LEO agencies that use PCC for their officers and of course the ones carrying Glocks. The versatility would be perfection.

Posts: 6891 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
However I'd sign up for the 10mm if he did. Hell, I'd even move OUT of the blasted state to make it happen. Big Grin

You should just do that anyways. Big Grin

Fun fact: Arizona is awesome. No, seriously.

quote:
Originally posted by jcsabolt2:
However, I see Glock as a one trick pony and has had a complete lack of any real innovation since they came out with their original pistol.

People say that, but how often do you really need to "innovate" when the entire industry has copied your shit? Have you ever taken apart five Glocks, Gen 1 through 5 in one sitting and compared them? I have one of each, and myriad tiny things have changed over the decades, each an improvement over the prior. The design has evolved a lot, but the people who still cry over that grip angle can't see the rest through their hot, salty tears. I'm not saying you're one of them, but personally, I have no need for a Glock in a CZ frame, CZ already makes that and after shooting one, I didn't feel the need to drop the Glocks I own and buy a CZ. A TSO is still on my hitlist, so it's not like I'm a rabid fanboi, just to qualify things a bit.

Posts: 17167 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't think they will. With the Ruger PC Carbine taking Glock mags and working just fine for $500 my guess is they know they don't have too.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 973 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoshNC:
Doubtful. If they were going to do so, I think they’d have done it already.

I'm going with this answer.
They've been around for 40+ years, and have had ample opportunity to come out with one. I use the analogy that Glock "built the better mousetrap" many times, and could be done with a carbine too. Maybe Glock just wants to keep that one mousetrap, and nothing more.
"Ziss es good enough! Everything else es nine!"

I don't agree with this stance, but my name isn't Gaston. Yeah, it would be super easy form the engineering standpoint. Same firing pin housing, same trigger mechanism, how hard is it to process the same barrel, just longer? Polymer frame, same magazines...

From there, breaking out from pistol calibers into larger calibers probably isn't that hard. But again, my name isn't Gaston.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8354 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post