SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Krag "Carbine"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Krag "Carbine" Login/Join 
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted
Picked up this cut down Krag-Jorgenson rifle. Unknown who did it. Model of 1898 [1899 production]. In a cut down 1896 stock, has a 1903 front sight. Bore is dark, but has good rifling. Shot 200 yd steel, 8 of 10 rounds went "clang". And yes, the action is very smooth. A keeper.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I like my military rifles military however; that is a nicely done mod to a clone carbine/sporter. The actions on the Krag are butter smooth. The old cast bullet guys love the Krag. They make great lead slingers and are accurate.

Enjoy that one!!!

Posts: 4066 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I do not recall all the specific details, I understand when the Krag was removed from service, the very long infantry rifles were not popular at all, but the carbines were loved universally. As such both military armories like Benecia arsenal rock island Springfield etc cut down rifles into carbine configuration and used Springfield 1903 front sights on them, as did companies like bannerman as well. A fairly common thing to see- a gun that appears to follow the lines of a carbine, but with the 1903 style front sight.

Another story I heard was that when the rough riders were mustered out after the Spanish American war, many inquired if they could purchase the issue carbine but none asked about the revolvers

Posts: 3296 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have handled/shot something very similar, it also has a very nice two stage trigger. Especially considering it is a military piece.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
While I do not recall all the specific details, I understand when the Krag was removed from service, the very long infantry rifles were not popular at all, but the carbines were loved universally. As such both military armories like Benecia arsenal rock island Springfield etc cut down rifles into carbine configuration and used Springfield 1903 front sights on them, as did companies like bannerman as well. A fairly common thing to see- a gun that appears to follow the lines of a carbine, but with the 1903 style front sight.

Another story I heard was that when the rough riders were mustered out after the Spanish American war, many inquired if they could purchase the issue carbine but none asked about the revolvers

Gov't did not cut down Krags and install 1903 sights, Gov't was too busy making 1903's at Springfield and RIA, Benecia would have just done refurbs etc, not mods

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Very nice! That's a lot like mine, 1903 front sight and all! Mine came without a handguard so I had to make my own. Like yours, mine shows it's age, but it's still a really decent shooter, especially with cast bullets. The snailshell magazine is pretty unique as well, and kind of fun to operate.

Posts: 8595 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Very nice! That's a lot like mine, 1903 front sight and all! Mine came without a handguard so I had to make my own. Like yours, mine shows it's age, but it's still a really decent shooter, especially with cast bullets. The snailshell magazine is pretty unique as well, and kind of fun to operate.

If it didn't come with a handguard, it is most likely a Bannerman conversion.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Inherited one of those. While not a carbine my uncle "sporterized" it. My grandfather was pissed.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post