SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Quick Review of Whittington Center
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quick Review of Whittington Center Login/Join 
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted
Spent a few days at Whittington Center in Northeast New Mexico this week. The facility is very impressive, if you have not been, it is a real treat. There is a central check in office with a store and museum. From there it is a true shooter's delight of just about anything you would want to shoot.

We camped in the West RV Campground, nice long level sites with 50amp power, water and sewer at each site. Deer were strolling through the campground early and late in the day.

They have all types of ranges there, shotgun (skeet, trap and many sporting clays courses), pistol and several rifle ranges. They have a rifle sight in course (100 & 200 yd) as well as a rifle silhouette course and a combo course with 200, 300, 500, 600, 800, 900 and 1,000 yard distances.

I spent one day exercising my 6.5X47 rifle from 300-1,000 yards. I was the only person on the range (except for a drive by range officer).
This range has a military style target raising system with large (about 4'x4') target frames on thick cardboard backers. Post your targets, drive back to the shooting distance you want and shoot away. Happiness is having to get in the truck to change your target Wink

After getting dope to 1,000 yards, I went to the rifle silhouette range for the well known attraction, the famous white buffalo target at 1,123 yards. This target is a large white steel plate, 10' wide 6' tall with a 16" black aiming point. So the target is a forboding distance away, but is is 12 MOA wide and 6 MOA tall.

From my 1,000 yard setting, I dialed in 3 more MOA and was consistently ringing the buffalo. There was also one standing ram at 547 yards, a few elevation clicks later he was a goner.....

If you ever get a chance to go to the Whittington Center, I highly recommend it!

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
We stayed there 2 years ago, just passing through. It was earlier Spring, a little off season, plenty of room. No shooting for us, we looked around, did the museum & gift shop in the morning

The ranges looked great, a fair amount of deer & ‘antelope’? around.

Posts: 6158 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
That sounds like fun...I'd love to stop there sometime that we're out west and try my hand at the Buffalo!

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post