SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Long Range Rifle Discussion
Page 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 ... 140
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
offgrid -- it looks like you had some fairly solid results at the Steel Safari match. How was it? Any new twists & turns with targets or stage setups?

Most challenging match I've shot! Very much like the format, completely on my own. No sharing wind calls, how/with what to shoot a stage. Natural terrain, shooting off of big rocks, tree branches... RO calls you up from a marked holding area (can't see targets/shooting position from holding area )to the shooting position, all my stuff I'm carrying has to be off the ground. RO quickly points to a spray painted dot(s)shooting position on the ground, one position 6 targets or two position 3 targets (shoot same three targets from 2nd position), there's your left limit/right limit, go... 5 Minutes to find, range and shoot... High percentage were not prone, lots of tripod/kneeling, standing.... Countless decision made in that 5 minutes. I RO the next shooter.... Match director put up streamers/flags in bushes/trees to guide us to the next stage/holding area. A couple walks of several 100yds between stages. Would focus on the wind when walking. A couple guys got lost between stages. Walked 5-6 miles each day.

Day 1. North Course. Found 27/42 targets, hit 26. We could ask the RO for our remaining time, would start shooting with about 2 minutes remaining regardless how many targets I found. A few of the 2 position/3 targets only found 2 targets, start shooting. I struggled finding targets and losing them once I got into the shooting position. Losing the targets moving to the next position... Damn, those targets were here just a second ago!

Shot a "challenge" stage when back from North Course. Alexander Arms 17 HMR AR, suppressed, some red dot scope, "drop gun". Plate rack at 50yds, 2" circles, 10 targets, 20 rds. Shooting position kneeling, AR on a saw horse. I could hardly see the plates, did poorly just hit 2, could not see where I was going, no berm behind the plate rack. Supposedly the red dot was zero's on those plates. Several others shot before me, barrel/suppressor was very hot, guessing impact was high? Tried moving around, aim low, high.... Was hoping the gun would fail and they drop that stage!

Day 2, South Course. Found 39/42 targets, hit 29. Couple stages very difficult all standing, shot from my tripod, slung up. Sun angle seemed to make it easier for me to spot the rusted steel plates.

Another challenge stage after the South Course. 6 targets, 300yds, guessing 5" diamond plates hung from straps on stands, about 10ft or so apart. Old Jeep parked on the range, start port arms, mag in bolt back. Hit any three targets with rifle on the hood of the Jeep, move underneath and shoot the remaining three on the ground prone, unlimited rounds, 3 minute time limit. Fasted time was 34 seconds before me. I could beat that! Watched several shoot before me, lots of misses... I hammer 3/3 from the hood shooting R-L (I was told could not see the 6th target on the right from under the Jeep), hammer 3/3 from the ground starting L-R. Start to get up feeling good about my time. RO says I'm not done, skipped a target. Which target? He would not tell me, shot them again going L-R until he stopped me after 5/5 more hits, I had skipped the 2nd from the right, bummer!

Day 3, West Course. Didn't keep track of what I found, not many. This course was by far the hardest for me to find targets and find them again when behind my rifle. Lots of bushes, not many trees, all blended to me. Move a foot either way off the shooting position, target behind a bush... Only hit 18/48 targets. Towards the end, would find one or two targets, shoot, get back up range another.... Shot low on several targets, guessed I pick up a bush in front of the target with the RF. Tough day!

I've learned only a few of the targets are moved from year to year, some of the shooting positions are moved. I RO the same guy two of the days, believe he shot it 4 times individual, 2 times team match. Couple times, he would say they only moved the one target on this stage....this stage is the same... Top guys have shot the match many times.

Lessons learned.

Need to get glasses. I've been fighting/refusing to come to terms with my aging body. After I got done shooting the RO would show me the targets, make sure I knew where the targets were to RO the next guy. Several on the West course could not see with my naked eye, it's next to the bush, what?

I tend to be a minimalist with my gear, less inventory to keep track of the better. Have a tripod with a simple "U" saddle, no ball head. This tripod set up has served me well at matches like Raton.... Guy I RO'd for two days, had a ball head on his tripod, quick release clamp for his RF'er binos, plate on his rifle to clamp to the ball head. I think this is the way to go even over the popular Hog Saddle/ball head combo.

My laminated dope card was on my wrist. I simply made tick marks next to the target ranges with a grease pencil. I believe a better way, blank laminated card on my wrist, right down distance in a somewhat map form, dope card on my rifle. That would help me re-find targets having a map.

Need to practice finding targets. Not sure how to do this. Thinking about having my neighbor set out a few targets on a valley wall near our house, find them.... move them.

I'll definitely shoot it again next year.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a very challenging match, if nothing else for the target finding issues. It seems odd to me that they don't change the targets much from one match to the next -- this definitely favors the guys who shot prior matches and can remember the stations. I don't really agree with that philosophy.

I assume you were using LRF binoculars. Interesting idea on the quick release tripod attachment that works for both ranging and shooting.

I also struggle with finding targets at a location that's new to me. Fortunately for me at last year's team match in Douglass, I had Alpine to spot targets... Big Grin

How did your wind judgement skilz fare at a range that's new to you?

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of E26R-40-BSE
posted Hide Post
Good shooting offgrid! That's a difficult format. We did some practice runs like that in Douglas, WY a couple weeks ago, and had two guys preparing for their first Steel Safari. Scanning for targets, finding them, ranging, look up dope, get in position, shoot. Guess it's an acquired skill. Let's just say I didn't look too good. Smile

Posts: 839 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: November 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
Sounds like a very challenging match, if nothing else for the target finding issues. It seems odd to me that they don't change the targets much from one match to the next -- this definitely favors the guys who shot prior matches and can remember the stations. I don't really agree with that philosophy.

I assume you were using LRF binoculars. Interesting idea on the quick release tripod attachment that works for both ranging and shooting.

I also struggle with finding targets at a location that's new to me. Fortunately for me at last year's team match in Douglass, I had Alpine to spot targets... Big Grin

How did your wind judgement skilz fare at a range that's new to you?

LRF binos for ranging.

Side note. My mega buck Lieca LRF binos took a crap on me last month Mad , RF quit working. Purchased locally at 1shotGear. Owner of the store loaned me his set until repaired, replaced.

Of the ball head/quick clamps I've handled, this one is the cats meow.

http://www.reallyrightstuff.co...SOAR-Series-Ballhead

Easy 0-10mph wind, no problem seeing it, direction...

After shooting the Steel Safari can't wait to shoot Raton next month. Know distances, map of the target locations...... Easy Peasy, well except for that siwtchy/pesky wind down there!

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
Of the ball head/quick clamps I've handled, this one is the cats meow.

Expensive kitty, but it looks good.

Hopefully all goes well with your Leica binos.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of E26R-40-BSE
posted Hide Post
Leica should be good to deal with. When my LRF started having problems, I had a replacement within a week. Called them, was asked to send it in on their dime, and received an upgraded model in return, same week.

Posts: 839 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: November 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by E26R-40-BSE:
Leica should be good to deal with. When my LRF started having problems, I had a replacement within a week. Called them, was asked to send it in on their dime, and received an upgraded model in return, same week.

I spoke with a guy in SD that damaged his hd-rs. Had to send them back to Germany, and pay $180, and wait 8 months.

Apparently Leica warranty is different for different people. I just hope I don't ever have to send mine in.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:
Being from the midwest, I just dont get the whole "yucca thing". Looks like a big tuft of crabgrass to me...

Whats the big deal? Us? We got ticks and ant hills. And ferns... I hate ferns.

they are beautiful in bloom

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Over the weekend I attended a 3-day competition course from Rifles Only (“RO”) that was held in eastern Colorado. This was beta course for shooters interested in steel/tactical matches. Evidently RO is working the Precision Rifle Series to develop ongoing training and support for PRS matches. As such, I was in what should be the first of a three levels of match training.

The first day started with the typical RO safety discussion, then five rounds at 100 yards test of zeros and evaluation of basic skills. Then it was off to the races. Our competition:
10 rounds in 60 seconds from a wood barrier, with separate heights for sitting, kneeling, or standing positions. All 10 rounds from the same position, chosen by the shooter. Only a sling for support. Time started 6 feet behind the barrier with an unloaded rifle. Reduced-size IPSC target at 300 yards.

10 rounds over four passes of a mover at 400 yards, from prone. The reduced IPSC target looked to be about the size of 8.5”x11” paper. Mover speed of about 3 mph.

10 rounds at a 4.5” swinger at 500 yards, from prone, weak side (left eye in scope and left hand on trigger for right handers), in 90 seconds.

Know Your Limits at 100 yards, prone. Four shots max at paper, starting with a 1” square (1 point), ¾” square (2 points), ½” square (3 points), ¼” square (4 points). Shoot and miss a square and all points are lost. Stop shooting anytime and collect the points earned. 60 second time limit.

Moving Chaos. Mover at 400 yards, 4.5” swinger at 500 yards, 10” swinger at 300 yards, back to mover at 400 yards. Two shots at each target (if necessary), one point only for each target engaged and hit. Dial scope for 400 yards, mandatory hold over/unders for 500 and 300 yard targets. 60 second time limit, from prone. Substantial movement right-to-left-to-right to acquire the targets.

10 rounds at a 7” swinger at 750 yards, from prone, 60 second time limit.

10 rounds at a 9” swinger at 1000 yards, from prone, 60 second time limit.

10 rounds at a generous plate (essentially 2 IPSCs) at 500 yards, from slung kneeling or sitting (no bags or sticks), 60 second time limit.

Lots of one-on-one feedback on the second day to work on the things we sucked at on the day one competition. Most of us worked on the barrier at 300, weak side prone at 500, and slung at 500. The competition was repeated on the third day, with noticeable improvement in scores for the whole class.

This was an absolutely amazing course. Kudos to Jacob Bynum and his RO team.

posted Hide Post
I installed a new barricade over the weekend -- a 4x4 post sunk a couple feet, with a 2x6 support shooting position. The 2x6s are set at 22", with the top of the post at 48". I am almost finished with a 2x12 removable sleeve which will slide over the 2x6s, making a 33" high position available, too. The stump is 16" high.

I sunk T-posts on either side of the 4x4 hoping that the cattle would rub against the metal posts, and thus not mess up my barricade. Time will tell if this strategy works.

posted Hide Post
Recently had my 40X 22lr converted from a single shot to a repeater. It initially took over a year to put the single shot 40X together. Bought a bolt less barreled action from CMP several years ago, waited 6 months to get a bolt from PT&G, waited to have it re-barreled...... Have it set up exactly as my comp rifle, same trigger..... To say I cherish my 40X is a understatement. Love shooting it, no reloading, very accurate. A few years ago gunsmith Mike Bush came up with the idea to make a 22lr mag that is compatible with any AICS mag compatible bottom metal, modify the 40X to accept that mag. He finally made them available this year. jelrod1 has chambered several barrels for me now, all shoot lights out. Great guy to deal with, excellent machinist. jelrod1 did the conversion for me. Can't thank you enough for taking this on!

Shot 300rds through it yesterday feeds/extracts perfect.

10rd Magazine

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Here's a video of offgrid running this thing. Kudos on the impressive bolt manipulation!

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/NoX0onO8DUg

I've got 4 more of these these 40X conversions in process at the moment. They sure are sweet and as soon as I can find a decent deal on me one there will be another one to do.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:
Here's a video of offgrid running this thing. Kudos on the impressive bolt manipulation!

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/NoX0onO8DUg

I've got 4 more of these these 40X conversions in process at the moment. They sure are sweet and as soon as I can find a decent deal on me one there will be another one to do.

I'd love one of those. What constitutes a decent deal?

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty slick setup. The repeater 22lr makes a lot of sense for steel match training. I recall people trying similar things with biathlon rifles a few years back, but I'm uncertain if it went anywhere.

Do you think this is a real specialty rifle, or something that may become more mainstream in availability?

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
The last run of any amount of these was from the CMP several years back. Some of those are mix matched parts and some have some issues, especially in the headspace area, but most seem to shoot well. Most that I've seen now are found on auction sites or maybe every once in a while in local shops. I have a lead on a couple local ones I'm trying to get my hands on and most on other sites seem to be in the 1200-1500 range depending on what all comes with them and if anything matches. Offgrid and Alpine I'm sure have researched them much more than I have and may have better answers. Offgrid has a PTG bolt in his. I will have one also. Offers much better fit/finish to start necessary modifications and gives more knob options.

There is talk from several people about new actions being produced to mimic a modified 40x. So far nothing is there yet that I know of.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
Guys, if you want go the direction of a Remington, make sure you get a 40XB.
The 40X is based on a 722 action, and can be easily identified by an almost straight bolt handle and round knob. The 722 action is not dimensionally the same as the 700 action.
The 40XB was introduced around early 1965, and uses a modified 700 action. It can be easily identified by the traditional swept bolt handle and oval knurled bolt knob as you see with current production Rem 700's
Both receivers are marked 40X, but the 40XB has a serial number that ends with the letter "B", so you will need to check that.
I recently bought two 40XB's. The first one was on Gun Broker, but the seller was in Colorado, so we met for a face to face transaction at a dealer to do the transfer. It is in the Range Master configuration with thumbhole stock, and butt plate adjustable in the cant and vertical positions. It came with the Redfield Olympic sights. It also has an Idaho Army National Guard emblem on the stock. The previous owner said he bought it from CMP about 20-years ago. I don't think it has been shot much as the bluing is a good 97%+, including good bluing and minor wear on the bolt. Offgrid and I shot it with the peep sights, and it shows promise as far as accuracy.
The second rifle I bought off of the accurate shooter forum. It did not come with any sights, only a set of Weaver 2-piece scope base. It has the traditional 40X heavy target stock with butt plate adjustible in LOP, cant, and vertical. The previous owner was in Florida, and difficult to communicate with, so I was fully expecting a rifle that was rusty and abused, and thinking I could salvage the action/bolt for a custom build. It has a few wear spots in the bluing, which I would rate 92%, with the bolt having significant wear on the bolt body amd handle. There are small nicks in the bolt knob and shroud, and some wear marks on the bolt lugs, but other than that, I cannot complain. I placed a Near 20-moa rail on it, mounted a S&B 4-16, and surprised myself by shooting a 0.42" group at 100-meters using Lapua Midas Plus.
I plan on having one or both modified as repeaters by MCR, and will be ordering a Manners T2-A stock for the build.

----------------------------------------

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alpine
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention, for what it's worth, the serial numbers on the bolts match the receivers. The serial numbers are electro-pencil etched, so no big deal if they match or not in my opinion.

However, both my rifles were built in March 1965, with the serial numbers only being 38 apart from each other.

They both sport the heavy target barrel at 27", which is a straight taper that is similar to a Remington Heavy Varmint.

Production of the last 40XB's in 22LR ended in 1974.

----------------------------------------

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

George Carlin

Posts: 908 | Location: Colorado, and as far away from Denver as I can get. | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
exx1976,

if you pick up a 40XB I would go into to it thinking that there's a chance it won't shoot and needs to be re-barrel. Third Generation stocks Benchmark barrels, Brunos stock Kreigers.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
And Scotty with the win at the Quiet Riot!! Way to go Scotty boy!!!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
And Scotty with the win at the Quiet Riot!! Way to go Scotty boy!!!

Wow. Scott be hot. He's doing well in both PRS and local matches.