SIGforum
Long Range Rifle Discussion

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/6460011043

December 19, 2021, 03:54 PM
offgrid
Long Range Rifle Discussion
https://magpul.com/prs-lite.html?mp_global_color=118

Been waiting for this since Magpul announced it. Released end of last week. Was able to snag one today. Should be ideal for a lighter weight precision AR in need of an adjustable cheek rest.
December 20, 2021, 11:19 AM
fritz
Let me know how the PRS light stock works for you. Right now I only have regular PRS and STR stocks on my ARs. At one time I thought about the Luth AR stock -- but I thought it was a bit cheesy, after a squad member had one at JJ's 2-rifle match.

Didn't get around to shooting the 6 Creedmoor this weekend. I burned through 3 tanks of fuel in the Stihl 310 on Sunday, plus a boat load of humping felled logs up & down the creek bed. Not moving quickly today.
December 20, 2021, 11:40 AM
offgrid
Will do. Wish the shortest LOP was a touch shorter. We'll see.

Tree work here too over the weekend. Cut up two the wind knocked over last month. The new Stihl 400 sure does pull a 18" bar nicley compared to the tired 16yr old 290. Ibuprofin is our friend!
December 21, 2021, 08:37 PM
IndianaBoy
Gearing up for a PRS match in January.

I am going to be shooting a 223 gasser. I'm aware of the limitations and I'm ok with getting my ass kicked. That doesn't mean I'm not going to do my utmost to score as well as possible. But I'm not going to be upset shooting against 6.5 bolt guns.

I've been working my way out and testing and confirming dope. I'm rock solid out to 700 and middling out to 1k. This week I'm going to spend a lot of time working on both wind calls and positional shooting. As well as a lot of positional dry firing.
December 22, 2021, 06:45 AM
sigfreund
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:

Please keep us posted.
We get some great reports about such competitions here, but usually from just a few regular posters. It would be good to hear from others, especially those just getting into the sport.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
December 22, 2021, 06:45 AM
offgrid
IndianBoy, good luck and have fun!
December 22, 2021, 07:11 AM
offgrid
Here you go fritz, PRS Lite.

Very solid, no movement after adjusting. Nice tight fit up against the castle nut. Appreciate the simple adjust it and lock with set screws. PRS Gen 2 as pictured hasn't been adjusted since day one several years ago. The geometry is different, cheek piece is about 1/2 further back then the PRS 2. If I leave it at its shortest LOP or match the LOP of the PRS 2, my cheek is slightly in front/over hanging the cheek piece a bit. For it to fit ME, have to adjust the LOP longer then the PRS 2. For a mostly prone rifle, thinks it's OK. Offhand, tad long. Wish it allowed for a shorter LOP. Putting together a 14.5" in the next couple months. Compare the balance between the two stocks on it, go from there.

For reference. LOP on the PRS 2 13.75", PRS Lite 14.5"

December 22, 2021, 07:37 AM
fritz
Interesting LOP comparison. I went to the safe to see how my STR-stocked carbines are set up. I have two LOP settings for this stock. Shooting from prone, I will use 13.5" or 14.25", but generally the longer one. I use 13.5" LOP for kneeling & standing positions, as I prefer a more head-up position.

My LOP figures for the STR stock are about 1/4"longer than standard for the given stock extension levels. I have Limpsaver buttpads on my STRs, not the standard Magpul ones.
December 22, 2021, 02:27 PM
Riley
I’m very interested in the new PRS Lite stock. It should be easier to be consistent than a CTR stock.

I got lucky and tripped over some CCI #450 primers so if I can find powder, I’ll be well on the way to a 6mm something. Dual collecting for parts for a gas gun and bolt gun as I find them. Hahaha.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.
January 25, 2022, 08:18 AM
offgrid

This is a friends Accuracy International AT-X with a jelrod1 chambered 6BRA barrel. Last fall shot 200rds through it, prone, barricade, tripod.... Very accurate, no surprise there. Took the barrel off and on twice using AI quick barrel change set up, repeatable dead nuts zero. The balance of the rifle how set up was very good, balance point is as picture on the tripod. Shot very well off of a tripod. I like the chassis a lot how the handgaurd meets the magwell at a 90. The trigger is basically the same CG Extreme two stage trigger I've been using for 10+ years, good there. I'm so accustom to the ease of a 90 degree bolt throw, the 60 degree was disruptive to the rifle for sure, not for me. The rings/mount pictured is a Badger Unimount 1.30, need that hieght to bring the cheek piece higher so the bolt would go under the cheek rest to remove the bolt.

AI is going to offer the AT-X chassis for R700 clones, Tikka center fire/22LR and Anschutz 22 actions. When the R700 chassis is available I'll give it a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qmvfN1o7wM&t=3207s

AI stuff starts at about 53 minutes.
January 25, 2022, 08:23 AM
sigfreund
Very nice!

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
January 26, 2022, 05:49 PM
IndianaBoy
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:

Please keep us posted.
We get some great reports about such competitions here, but usually from just a few regular posters. It would be good to hear from others, especially those just getting into the sport.

I learned a lot. Got my butt kicked as expected for a first timer but I didn't embarrass myself. By all accounts of the experienced shooters I was squadded with, it was a tough match, even without the wind. We had switching wind all day, between 5 and 12 mph and very inconsistent direction.

Wind flags on some of the more long distance targets indicated very variable winds at distance, including completely opposing crosswinds from 1100 to 1300 yards, compared to what we had from 0-900 yards.

A few things:

Dialing on the clock is much slower than I anticipated. I learned that some of the more experienced shooters dialed their elevation and hold their wind. Sometimes dialing for their first target elevation and holding for subsequent targets.

I am accustomed to par times in 3 gun, and I can get a LOT done on the clock at a 3 gun match in 90 seconds. I did NOT get much done shooting PRS in 90 seconds. I timed out on several stages but I was not upset with myself overall, I hit SOME targets but by no means MOST targets.

I did particularly well on the mover. It was 5 shots from two positions on one target moving 2.5mph. This was the one stage where the wind stayed fairly steady for us. I dialed my elevation and wind, and then held my leads for movement and hit 6/10.

I had most of the bags (AG Game Changer for front and rear, X-Wing rear bag that I also used for a front bag on tightly spaced prop, and a fat bag for body positioning that I used both under and arm and between my heel and my butt) that I needed and had practiced sufficiently with them prior to the match to employ them with reasonable, but not great, effectiveness.

There was one stage where I made the enormous mistake of dialing the wrong direction for wind. Of course I got NO hits on this stage, but I figured out what I did pretty quickly. This was an embarrassing mistake.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that all target distances were provided, although I did go prepared with both a range finder capable of 1800 yards as well as a kestrel which was invaluable. I did NOT expect virginia count (forgive me but I got my start in USPSA), to be the rule of the day. Not being able to re-engage a miss is very frustrating if you spot your miss in your reticle. There was one stage where I had several misses by mere inches on simulated prairie dog targets and probably could have cleaned the stage if I could have made follow up shots. I tried to make adjustments to my wind hold on the clock but as distances were increasing with each target, I never did figure out exactly where to hold. This problem was exacerbated by the inconsistent wind and my wind susceptible 223 bullets (73 ELD).

But I had a great time. My squad was comprised of very helpful and friendly shooters. I am signed up for another match in February. Oh yeah, I took my new RRS tripod coyote hunting a few nights ago. Tripods are an absolute GAME CHANGER and I'm looking forward to skill building on top of that new piece of gear.
January 26, 2022, 06:00 PM
sigfreund
quote:
Tripods are an absolute GAME CHANGER ....

Indeed.
Thanks for the report, and best in February (and keep us posted).

6.4/93.6

— Plato
January 26, 2022, 06:33 PM
offgrid
IndianaBoy,

sounds like you fun and shot with some decent guys.

Some tips. NEVER dial wind. Wind is ever changing and it's a educated guess. Only time to dial wind as you did is for movers. Did you ambush the mover? What works for me on ambushing movers is instead of trying to break the trigger on the center of the target with the lead, break on the edge. EX: 1.7 mils to the center, break at 1.5 mils on the edge. I find it much easier to break on a defined line. I love the virginia count format! High percentage of the matches I've shoot are hit or miss, next target. On the prairie dog target were you using your reticle to measure your misses that you could spot? Miss was .2 left..... Did the guys in your squad talk about what they held for wind in MPH or what they held in mils for wind? Everyone around me, including me only talks MPH. Shot a few matches where you'd be DQ if you shared wind with other shooters, I like that!
January 27, 2022, 01:06 PM
powermad
Sounds like a lot of fun.
I need to see what kind of events are around me.
100 yds is all I can get out to at the moment and I haven't been able to do much of that lately.
I would at least like to stretch it out to 600 yds, 16" .308 AR.

I was watching Mark and Sam on YouTube shooting at a 24" plate at 2.18 miles.
That's pretty cool, 214 MOA elevation I believe was the final elevation and 22 MOA windage.
January 27, 2022, 02:48 PM
sigfreund
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
I love the virginia count format!

What does that mean? (I did search for “Virginia count” in regards to precision rifle shooting and came up with nothing.)

6.4/93.6

— Plato
January 28, 2022, 02:11 PM
IndianaBoy
quote:
IndianaBoy,

sounds like you fun and shot with some decent guys.

Some tips. NEVER dial wind. Wind is ever changing and it's a educated guess. Only time to dial wind as you did is for movers.

Good tip, thank you.
January 28, 2022, 02:14 PM
IndianaBoy
quote:
Did you ambush the mover? What works for me on ambushing movers is instead of trying to break the trigger on the center of the target with the lead, break on the edge. EX: 1.7 mils to the center, break at 1.5 mils on the edge. I find it much easier to break on a defined line.

Yes, I did.

I love the virginia count format! High percentage of the matches I've shoot are hit or miss, next target.

On the prairie dog target were you using your reticle to measure your misses that you could spot? Miss was .2 left.....

I did, but I was unable to correct properly as each target was further and further away. I kept making slight adjustments and each time I was just a tiny bit wrong. The guy who was spotting for me on that stage said I missed several targets by about an inch.

Did the guys in your squad talk about what they held for wind in MPH or what they held in mils for wind? Everyone around me, including me only talks MPH.

They were mostly discussing mils because they were all shooting cartridges that were ballistically very similar. I was very specific when I asked some of the more experienced shooters how much wind they held for in MPH because their dope was much different than mine. They were all very helpful but it was just how they were referring to it among themselves wasn't very helpful in that particular circumstance.

Shot a few matches where you'd be DQ if you shared wind with other shooters, I like that!

January 28, 2022, 02:25 PM
IndianaBoy
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
I love the virginia count format!

What does that mean? (I did search for “Virginia count” in regards to precision rifle shooting and came up with nothing.)

Only one shot per target. If a target was engaged multiple times from different positions, then it was one shot per position.

Basically, if you miss, you don't get to make up that miss. Emphasis on first round hits.

Virginia count is a common phrase in USPSA pistol shooting. No make up shots allowed, if you miss a piece of steel, move on and take the penalty.

Normally in USPSA you can keep on shooting as much as you need to in order to neutralize all targets. The only penalty for firing extra shots is the time it takes to do so.
January 28, 2022, 02:40 PM
sigfreund
quote:
Only one shot per target.

Thank you.

6.4/93.6

— Plato