SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Help identifying a rifle and two shotguns
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help identifying a rifle and two shotguns Login/Join 
Laugh or Die
posted
A friend of mine recently inherited some guns. We were able to ID most, but the following still elude me/us:

First is two pump shotguns. I believe they're both Mossberg 500s, but they don't actually say the model anywhere on the firearm. One says Mossberg on the barrel and they're both identical other than caliber. Both have the Mossberg top thumb safety.:

.410 (no Mossberg Marking):

20ga (Says Mossberg on side so I think it might be a Mossberg):

The next I have absolutely no clue. It's a mag fed bolt action rifle. Can't tell what caliber and its missing the magazine:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
On the mossberg close the slide and look at bottom of the receiver just in front of the loading port. Is there anything there?

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3184 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
The rifle looks like an 1891 Carcano carbine.
http://www.cowanauctions.com/l...-action-rifle-562444

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
The rifle looks like an 1891 Carcano carbine.

It does to me.
And those rifles could be loaded singly or with a clip, I believe, and did not have detachable magazines—correct?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The rifle is an Italian Carcano 1891 TS carbine. Originally chambered in 6.5x52mm.

It's missing its upper handguard. The nylon buttstock cuff is obviously not original, and it appears to be sporting a USGI M1 Carbine sling.

Carcanos were fed with 6 rounds contained in an enbloc clip. (Not a stripper clip... more like the M1 Garand's clip.) The entire loaded enbloc clip is inserted into the magazine through the top of the receiver while the bolt is back. The hole in the bottom of the magazine is for the empty clip to fall out, after the sixth and final round is chambered.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

That's neat. What's the little button in the front of the trigger guard for then?

And yes that's absolutely what it is.

I was unable to get pictures of the underside of the shotguns.

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

That's neat. What's the little button in the front of the trigger guard for then?

And yes that's absolutely what it is.

I was unable to get pictures of the underside of the shotguns.

You can push the button forward and it will pop the clip and remaining rounds up so you can take the clip and rounds out w/o having to cycle each round through the action.

Posts: 4024 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Exactly. Pull the bolt back, push the clip eject button, and the loaded enbloc clip with remaining rounds are ejected out the top.

This same Mannlicher-style enbloc clip system was used on a variety of bolt action rifles originally designed in the late-1800s, including the Carcano and Vetterli rifles used by the Italians, the Gewehr 88 rifles used by the Germans, the Berthier rifles used by the French, the Steyr-Mannlicher rifles used by the Austro-Hungarians (and later the Austrians, Hungarians, and Bulgarians), the various Mannlicher rifles used by the Dutch/Belgians/Romanians/Portuguese/etc., and the Lee Navy rifles used by the US.

It was later adapted into a similar enbloc system for semiauto rifles like the Mondragon and the M1 Garand, the main differences with those being that they were double stack enblocs, and the empty enbloc clip was ejected out the top after firing the last round rather than being ejected out the bottom after chambering the last round.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Was it a Carcano that Oswald used?

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep. His rifle was a Model 1938 Carcano carbine, which had been modified to mount a scope.

So a later model Carcano carbine than the OP's. Same basic bolt, action, and magazine design, but different stock/fittings/barrel/sights/etc..