SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Cleaning a 22 rifle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning a 22 rifle Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
Waiting til accuracy falls to clean, as a newb I was bitten by that notion several years ago....

Yep, it only has to occur once at a critical time, when accuracy counts. Then we change our practices.

quote:
Carbon ring on the throat of a 22 barrel, bore scope has shown me absolutely.

I stand corrected. Good to know.

Posts: 7884 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
With cleaning products like Boretech, Wipeout-Patchout.. the days of worrying about "over cleaning" are long gone. Not only do these non-ammonia base products cause no harm to our barrels, more effective. The days of using Sweets, Butches Boreshine, all the stinky stuff..... should be behind us!

I recently started using the Patchout\Wipeout\Leadout products. You don't even need to use a brush, After soaking for a short time, whatever fouling is in the barrel comes out with just patches.

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TTQF24F/ref=emc_b_5_t

Have version of this

https://www.brownells.com/sear...?k=Hawkeye+Borescope

Couple friends have Hawkeyes.

Suggest to just use it after cleaning, see how you're doing. Look for a carbon ring just past the throat, it'll be very obvious if it's there. AR barrel also look at the carbon build up around the gas port. Local gunsmith of many years (High Master High Power shooter.....) as well as CompassLake's AR gunsmith told me this is a problem they see when AR barrels shoot then don't shoot, especailly when new. Once you got where you know you are cleaning your barrels well enough, put it away!!!

Most of the guys I shoot with have borescopes or access to one. Occasional statement barked out when we miss, Carbon Ring!!

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Can you guys just get a room?

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
When testing match ammo for accuracy, only at a 100yd indoor range, never outside

That must be an awesome facility. Do you have any photos of the targets from the firing line, or does the club have a website with a gallery of images?

Our indoor range is nice but only fifty feet long.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15908 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Both borescopes are practically the same then, huh? Razz

I like to get nice stuff, but .... Eek
On the other hand, could I use it for anything else ...? And it's cold and snowy, and I do have a lot of guns I could look at. Hmm ....

Hawkeye image quality is better. The advantage to the Amazon unit is you can look at a larger image on a screen. As well as snap a picture before and after...

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
Can you guys just get a room?

Can I bring a borescope?! Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
When testing match ammo for accuracy, only at a 100yd indoor range, never outside

That must be an awesome facility. Do you have any photos of the targets from the firing line, or does the club have a website with a gallery of images?

Our indoor range is nice but only fifty feet long.

Ya, shooting a 22 inside is great! It's a bit of a haul for me, feel it's well worth it. They let me shoot prone. Gets rid of the wind effect. A 1 mph wind moves the 22 just over a 1/4" at 100yds. The outdoor range I shoot at in the mountains the wind can be very twitchy/gusty. With a 22 I believe its best to shoot 4-6 5 shot groups get an average or a couple 10 shot groups. I'm not really testing my ability, testing the ammo's lack of flyers. Shooting a 22 inside at 100yds really shows the difference between ammo.

https://blucore.com/

A couple friends shoot here. Wish I was closer.

https://www.libertyrange.com/

Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
You know,

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Got anything to contribute, or are you just here to be a dick? Roll Eyes

quote:
You know,

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:

Well, seeing as this was my thread, asking about cleaning a 22 rifle, I guess I can be a dick, right? So how about you wind your neck in? Roll Eyes

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:

Well, seeing as this was my thread, asking about cleaning a 22 rifle, I guess I can be a dick, right? So how about you wind your neck in? Roll Eyes

My bad then. Big Grin

More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
I agree with a lead ring forming in front of a .22 chamber. I also agree with the corrosive nature of .22 primers given that silica is in the primer compound to facilitate friction. The borescope reveals both.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1089 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post