SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR trigger and weapon light recommendations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR trigger and weapon light recommendations Login/Join 
posted
Since I'm going all in on my FN rifle, I'm looking to see what people like in a trigger and light.
I know I'll get all kinds but I plan on checking all of them out and then making a choice.
Light will be mounted on MLok and I'm not sure about single stage or 2 stage trigger. I've shot both and enjoy both.
TIA

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
After trying a couple of other types, I came to really like the INFORCE lights. I find them easy to operate in either the constant-on or momentary mode and are easy to attach to and remove from a Picatinny rail section.

https://inforce-mil.com/collections/rifle-lights

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Not sure on budget. I like Rock River for a two stage trigger. LaRue for single.

For a light mount I really like Elzetta. Inexpensive, simple and USA made. Their lights are good to I hear.

Also the Streamlight HL-X is hard to beat for the $

These are all pretty affordable high quality options in my humble opinion.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19089 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
For rifle lights, I like the Inforce WML/WMLx and the Streamlight TLR RM1/RM2 lights. When mounted at a 45 degree offset (using either a handguard mounted rail at the 9:00 position or something like an IWC Thorntail rail hanging off the top or a Arisaka Defense offset rail mount) the angled thumb pads on these lights are perfect for my shooting style and support hand grip.

For triggers, I like the ALG ACT triggers. They're the best value in AR triggers, being noticeably better than a stock trigger for much less money than a full custom trigger. Plus, it retains the standard 5.5ish pound trigger weight, so they're still ideal for defensive/duty rifles.

Posts: 32405 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CMC triggers? Looks like very simple installation since it's all contained.
The single stage looks interesting but I'm seeing 3.5# pull.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
Since I'm going all in on my FN rifle, I'm looking to see what people like in a trigger and light.
I know I'll get all kinds but I plan on checking all of them out and then making a choice.
Light will be mounted on MLok and I'm not sure about single stage or 2 stage trigger. I've shot both and enjoy both.
TIA

My default for AR triggers and lights are always:

Geissele SSA
Surefire Scout light (factory mount gets changed out to either Haley Strategic or IWC depending on what rail it’s going on)

The IWC/Haley Strategic mounts come in M-Lok as well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: davidjinks,

Posts: 874 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wilson Combat has two single stage triggers they sell. One is 4# and the other is 5.5# and both are under $200.

Posts: 4120 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For triggers the LaRue MBT is hard to beat. Lights is a big answer. Cloud, Modlite, Surefire, Streamlight, all good choices.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
After trying a couple of other types, I came to really like the INFORCE lights. I find them easy to operate in either the constant-on or momentary mode and are easy to attach to and remove from a Picatinny rail section.

Thanks for the link Sigfreund, I ordered one.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

Thanks for the link Sigfreund, I ordered one.

You won't regret it.
I've got them on 2 of my AR's, they work perfectly.

Fell in love with them when I tossed it on my work gun. It gets banged up, tossed around, abuse, and hasn't failed me.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8313 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I like the Inforce on a BCM offset mount.

Not a fan of the square trigger on Larue, same for Armory Craft.
The Centurion Arms two stage is a clean breaking two stage that has a rounded trigger that's just a bit cheaper than Larue, I have two so far.
Sionics has a two stage that looks to be the same as Centurion Arms for about the same price.

I had a CMC 3.5#. You need to remove the safety to get it in.
I had it in an AR 9mm.
To light a trigger for my needs.

Posts: 1468 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Triggers I do ALG or LaRue.
Lights are Inforce using the Haley Strategic Thorntail mount.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25334 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went with the CMC flat faced single stage trigger. Had a few choices of pull weight in a drop down box and I chose 3.5#.
I like that it's enclosed already and basically just drops in. I watched their video on installation and as stated, I will have to remove the safety. Not that big of a deal really.
This is going to be a range/fun/friendly competition rifle that I can shoot with some friends. I have 2 other Colts that are more for defense if needed.

Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
While I had the safety out I swapped in a Radian selector.
Now I have them in everything.

Posts: 1468 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have two ARs with CMC triggers, wait till they go on sale at Midway. https://cmctriggers.com/produc...single-stage-curved/

And I use a small rail and a TRL1 pistol light on my ARs

https://www.amazon.com/Streaml...hlight/dp/B00B8Q31UQ

When I was a cop I was required to have a light system on the carbine. It’s just good sense. Using it in a house or even a warehouse I could identify a target.

I also put a meprolight front sight post that glows in the dark, I initially had the rear sights too, but it was too bright and I couldn’t see thru the aperture.

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...022621841?pid=949980

The drop in trigger is leaps and bounds above he standard usgi trigger, the tritium front sight works without any ambient light and the small pistol light on the left side of the grip was controlled by the thumb for always on or momentary depending on which way you rock the switch

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11234 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
For those who use the Inforce, are you using the one or two battery versions?

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
For those who use the Inforce, are you using the one or two battery versions?

My agency ended up with a one-battery light (not sure how), but my personal light and the rest of ours are two batteries.

The primary difference between the two versions is light output: 400 v. 800 lumens, although the run time for the 800 is also longer (2 v. 1.5 hours). The smaller is, however, less expensive from the factory site.

There can be at least a theoretical disadvantage to a too-bright light if it’s used indoors, but I believe it’s overblown in the vast majority of reasonably likely situations. For LE operations or anything other than short range use, I cannot imagine choosing the lower-output version. When I qualify at night with my carbine, the two-battery light does a satisfactory job of illuminating the target at 50 yards. (There are, of course, many variables to consider.)

Indoors when ours eyes are reasonably dark-adapted, the light output can be pretty low and it’s still possible to detect and identify targets. Identifying threats (e.g., a gun) is more difficult, but again it’s not necessary to have retina-searing outputs to make that possible. Outdoors or at other longer distances such as down the hallway of a school, though, is a different matter, and in my (albeit limited) experience, the more light the better.

As a final consideration, if trying to control and intimidate a hostile with our light, it’s not possible to have too much (IMO, of course).

Typo corrected.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:

Why don’t you like the 3.5?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37071 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
MY favorite is the Geissele SSA-E. I have them installed in most of my 556 and 308 AR's.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:

Why don’t you like the 3.5?

I ordered the 3.5# trigger.
Initially I was going to set this rifle up for defensive use but I decided not to and to use it as a fun/range rifle. I would use it as a SHTF rifle if the world collapses.
I have 2 other Colt rifles with the stock milspec triggers that are broken in nicely.
The whole "light trigger" thing that could possibly be used against me if I used the FN in a defensive encounter. Same reason I never replaced a trigger in any of my carry pistols.